Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • PSA – Strava Flybys
  • Premier Icon thepurist

It seems that Strava have recently amended everyone’s privacy settings so your rides aren’t visible on the Flyby feature – it’s gone to an opt in rather than an opt out. If you’re opted out you don’t even get the flyby link on the website. I’d found some good routes by seeing where other folk had gone, so it’s made Strave a bit less useful for me.

To enable it you need to go back into your privacy settings and change the FlyBy option back to ‘Everyone’ – that brings the flyby option back but at the mo the chances are that you’ll still be the only one visible as nobody else has re-enabled it.

Premier Icon tomnavman

Its a shame they don’t offer a middle ground to show flybys of followers / people you follow

Premier Icon DickBarton

Sounds sensible as so many people unwittingly gave details of where bikes are stored….

Premier Icon shortbread_fanylion

Yep, a good move by strava.

Premier Icon GolfChick
    Free Member

I can see their sense in it, completely, but equally I’ve found a load of future routes by seeing who i rode past on that day to find new lines and ways so shame to see this go.

Premier Icon Ewan
    Free Member

I can see why they did it, but quite annoying – I found it very handy for working out who i passed / drafted / got dropped by on a ride, as well as finding new routes.

Premier Icon crumpsbutts
    Free Member

They could have just disabled it for those who haven’t bothered to set up a privacy zone. I suppose it still makes sense from a privacy standpoint but it’s a shame because it was a great tool.

Premier Icon thepurist

If they did it because of concerns about disclosing addresses then it’d be simple to hide the first and last 500m or so of every ride/run. That’d work for all but the most remote households, chuck in a periodic reminder about privacy zones and you’re done without breaking a feature of the app.

Premier Icon pedlad

Yes I too liked using this – I logged in on pc to opt in but it sounds like their not pushing an app notification to suggest you can do this. I get the need for protection and prvacy but with this approach hardly anyone else will opt in and the functionality is redundant and the development effort wasted.

They could have promoted the opt-in whilst also stating that privacy zones are excluded from the trace and here’s a simple drag and drop way to add additional zones to cover off the point made above.

Premier Icon footflaps

Makes sense, was a bit of a stalkers wet dream….

Premier Icon simondbarnes

I’ve always had it turned off

Premier Icon crazy-legs

A middle ground of Flybys for people who follow you or that you follow would be nice rather than the options of everyone or no-one.

On any ride in a popular area, security and privacy is a moot point because there could be 1000 people on there – a weekend ride around Richmond Park and out to Box Hill and back would easily have that so finding any one rider is almost impossible.

But yeah, on a regular route or a remote area with only a couple of riders, it’s easy to see the potential privacy issues.

Premier Icon bruneep

hmm thats a bit poop, as above it was always interesting to see where others ride and seek out new trails. Probably dump the paid version when up for renewal now

Premier Icon spooky_b329

When I last reviewed my flyby (last week) my icon stopped somewhere near my privacy zone, so assume it never shows your final destination.

Whilst we are on the subject, ridewithgps now have a heatmap overlay on their route planner for Pro users…combined with Stravas awful route planner for off-road riding in getting closer to switching off Strava…the only thing stopping me is all my mates still use Strava.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/10/strava-flyby-turns-feature.html/amp

DC Rainmaker has a blog post on the changes now.

Premier Icon cookeaa

I’m far happier for privacy to trump route finding TBH. I wasn’t very comfortable with flyby when it first appeared and while I’m glad it’s now opt in, I’d rather it was just gone…

Premier Icon eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Typical Strava half-cocked and shitty bodge-up ruining a decent feature. Apart from route finding, I found it really good for races, seeing where I was doing well/not relative to other competitors. Also a sociable thing – has been good to interact with others I’ve met and chatted to on long days out in the mountains, send them some photos, give them a thumbs up etc.
    Strava is ultimately supposed to be a sociable tool, whiny privacy crybabies don’t have to use it or can learn to make their activities private.

Premier Icon cookeaa

Strava is ultimately supposed to be a sociable tool, whiny privacy crybabies don’t have to use it or can learn to make their activities private.

I think the Problem for me as a ‘whiny privacy cry-baby’ was that flybys were just a fantastic tool for would be bike thieves and/or stalkers. Even if it didn’t lead them directly to your door thanks to privacy zones, it could help identify you, work out your routine and could easily put them within a few hundred feet of your front door.

You’re right Strava is sort of a “social media” app I guess (they do sell it that way), although I think of it really more of a fitness tracking and training tool TBH. But I don’t think I’m odd in only wanting to only be ‘sociable’ with people I actually know via strava, not randoms that apparently happen to have cycled the same half a mile as me once. I’m sure I’m being a miserable git but I’d rather they just couldn’t make a connection, sorry…

And yep all my activities are private by default, commutes remain so and I only tend to share other rides with my ‘followers’ very, very seldom with everyone.

Am I being insular? Maybe, but the more of your personal information you share, the easier it is for someone to use it against you.
    The counter point is of course; are you being a bit free and easy with your data just because it’s a cool feature?

Premier Icon eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Stalkers? I can see that being a possibility for women I suppose, and there is the 1/10000 person that has had real drama in their life that requires them not being readily traceable to any locality.

The controls necessary for these people to protect their content were already in place. With regards to potential bike theft this was taken care by the existing zone feature or simply not recording to doorstep; you could argue it’s far more likely for most folk to have their bikes seen as they load their car.

I’m quite happy to share experiences online amongst the diaspora of folk who share a common interest and are active in my locality; I have chatted with ‘randoms’ via being open online, sometimes went on to do shared trips with them, and those that turned out to be great craic are now friends. I’m interested in what manner you think the data could be used against me though..

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

I think it should be mandatory, I wanted to relive* a do-or-die, eyeballs out sprint victory over a much faster mate over the top of Els Angels, but the fecker had turned off his fly-bys ☹

That’s just not cricket

*I actually just wanted to check if I’d won or not!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.