PSA sort of – Castelli Gabba

Home Forum Bike Forum PSA sort of – Castelli Gabba

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • PSA sort of – Castelli Gabba
  • Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

turboferret, you may be just between a medium and a small. I’m 6ft and 71kg and the M is pretty much a perfect snug fit for me.

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

Mr Blobby, thanks for the input.

I suppose I could order both and send back whichever didn’t fit, that way I would avoid losing out if they sell out…

Cheers, Rich

People in justifying their significant expenditure with good reviews shocker

[i]Really?[/i]

I’ve seen plenty of expensive stuff get critical reviews on Wiggle. I don’t see why the opinions on STW should be any more or less relevant / accurate / honest than those on Wiggle or any other site. We’re all cyclists, innit…and I’d guess that as a percentage those purchasing the likes of a Gabba tend towards the more experienced.

I don’t own a Gabba, or any other Castelli clothing…

dragon

I think the nearest Sportful equivalent of the Gabba is the Fiandre No-Rain lightweight.

Fiandre Norain Light

Premier Icon nemesis
    Subscriber

I don’t see why the opinions on STW should be any more or less relevant / accurate / honest than those on Wiggle or any other site. We’re all cyclists, innit…

True enough and you may have a point but on here you can get a better idea or at least impression of how much you value someone’s opinion. Of course it can still all be BS but that’s life 🙂

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

I think the nearest Sportful equivalent of the Gabba is the Fiandre No-Rain lightweight.

In terms of fabric, maybe. Doesn’t look anywhere near as fitted as the Gabba though. Maybe just a bad fit for the rider in the photo there. Don’t do a short sleeved one either.

Is the Gabba really that good that it’s worth the price over a jersey and a gilet or similar? I have been tempted given that a lot of my riding is in the conditions it’s aimed at but even at £90…

Was it this years or last years Giro (or maybe M-SR, either way, racing in the rain, up mountains, over roads with the snow still piled up at the sides) where the entire pelaton went for Castelli Gabba and stick on logo/black duct tape rather than whatever their own kit was?

Premier Icon nemesis
    Subscriber

Last year IIRC but similar this year too – I’ll admit that for me that’s the biggest endorsement – pros paying for kit themselves.

c_klein87

I’m a medium, 6ft and around 72kg, tis a snug fit but not super tight, tempted a by a short sleeve….

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

nemesis

Sportful grupetto – is this the right one? It kind of sounds just like a normal jersey with a little windproofing rather than similar to the Gabba but I may be reading it wrong

have a look at the Sportful one on my link on the 3rd or 4th post – thats the thermal one and more akin to the Castelli one I think

DanW

The nano-flex armwarmers don’t stay water resistant for long.

Yep! Mine are abismal even in the lightest shower. I think it is because the material is so thin that you don’t feel insulated from the rain so still get cold and miserable (well I do 😀 ) which defeats the purpose of something supposed to be waterproof or water resistant.

I can see the Gabba as a good race option where you want to stay dryish but don’t worry about getting a bit wet but I found the Santini H20 jersey more suited to my needs. Very waterproof for what feels like a normal top. I use a windproof tee underneath when the wind picks up. If used under a light hard shell then you’ll be absolutely bone dry even in the worst that Winter can throw at you (much prefer this approach to one big heavy winter jacket). Basically, super versatile to be dressed up or dressed down and more waterproof than I found the equivalent Castelli materials

Edit: There is a good thread on Weightweenies about Gabba experiences with lots of cheaper options using the same materials and general alternatives. Cheapest option was a short sleeve tee listed for diving at Decathalon which people seemed very happy with IIRC- could get quite toasty though!

On a budget, the endura FS-260 long sleved jersey is a similar concept

Premier Icon eddie11
    Subscriber

Was it this years or last years Giro (or maybe M-SR, either way, racing in the rain, up mountains, over roads with the snow still piled up at the sides) where the entire pelaton went for Castelli Gabba and stick on logo/black duct tape rather than whatever their own kit was?

Thats how castelli marketed it, i dont hink it was strictly true – Vermarc had one first i think, sportful as already said, rapha do one for sky now. They are all the same black stretchy windstopper, castelli just best at marketing it.

Premier Icon adsh
    Subscriber

Yep! Mine are abismal even in the lightest shower. I think it is because the material is so thin that you don’t feel insulated from the rain so still get cold and miserable (well I do ) which defeats the purpose of something supposed to be waterproof or water resistant.

Conversely I find mine toasty and absolutely brilliant. At the manx 100 when the rain came down on the mountains I went from a miserable wreck to feeling good by donning my 2 year old, patched to hell, Nanos. Love them

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

If you want arm-warmers with the same level of water repellency as the Gabba then the Gore Bikewear Windstopper ones should do it. Basically the same fabric as the Gabba.

MrSmith

People in justifying their significant expenditure with good reviews shocker

How do you know it’s a significant expenditure? To some it will be small change and they just want a waterproof/wind proof / breathable well cut jersey that can be worn in a wide range of temperatures.

johnj2000

Think there is some castelli stuff on sport pursuit at the moment.

stevious

Might have to source some Sportful or Gore arm warmers to go with my Gabba so I don’t end up looking like Cap’n Castelli.

Oh and the sport pursuit stuff is all Garmin Sharp or MTN Qubeka branded. Great prices though.

CaptJon

Got my Gabba today. I ordered a large and medium and the large is the better fit for my 6’1′ frame. The medium was too short at the front and a little too tight. I’ve been out in it and it’s a very nice fit. I can see myself wearing it a lot until it gets very cold.

smuttiesmith

Just as a heads up. You definitely shouldnt be washing nanoflex or your Gabba in waterproofing washing stuff. The kit isn’t ‘waterproof’ and doesn’t need treating in this way. Wash it with regular powder and no conditioner. If the water repellancy is starting to wear off Castell reccomend lightly ironing the fabric.

Great kit though.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘PSA sort of – Castelli Gabba’ is closed to new replies.