Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • PSA Something I never knew about pet medicine.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Having 2 dogs & obviously having to buy products such as frontline flee killing stuff & tapeworm tablets etc I never knew that you can actually buy the stuff on-line without the need for a {bloody expensive} prescription from the vet.
    I know this may be obvious to some, but I thought I would share as some people as naive as me may still be paying full price at the vets for it. And yes I know vets have to make a living too, but after a £400 bill to have my mutts (plural) teeth cleaned I’m happy to save a few quid.
    Cheers.

footflaps

We pay for ours on a monthly package, £10/month per cat and they deliver 3 months worth of Frontline every 3 months.

EDIT: Local fleas are immune to Frontline, so we use Advocate now.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can get Frontline from Pets at Home

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

*Needs prescription – they have to see the animal.
    There is also a clone called Fipronil available for about 5% less £.

Source – I’ll be back working there in a couple of days. 🙁

stumpy01

Our local Lloyds pharmacy sells Frontline and worming stuff.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

So do the pharmacists counter in our local Tesco.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Our vet always insists our lab has Advocate since it deals with another type of worm that can wipe a dog out. All I know is it’s really expensive and I need to get it from the vets 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

Where from?

Given up with frontline here (as has our vet) as it does nothing for the local fleas. Use advocate, or if it’s bad Comfortis tablets.

convert

I was told (can’t remember who by now) that the frontline bought at the like of pets at home was not the same strength as the stuff bought from the vet. This may well be bollox to induce you to pay vet’s premium.

Our mangy bag of bones currently has an infestation that frontline and nuking the house/bedding is not touching. I think I’ll try dosing her with advocate or comfortis (or both!).

footflaps

Our mangy bag of bones currently has an infestation that frontline and nuking the house/bedding is not touching. I think I’ll try dosing her with advocate or comfortis (or both!).

This is how we discovered that Frontline is no longer affective, our cats and the house had a major flea infestation which took ages to solve. Everything seems fine now with Advocate.

headpotdog
    Free Member

We’ve got to get Seraquin every month for our dogs and the cheapest place we’ve found is Vet UK. Saved us a packet over the local vets 🙂

Vet UK

tonyd

Hmm, interesting thread. Impending house purchase has got us talking about pets. She’d like a cat, I’d prefer a dog, the youngest wants a blue rabbit.

I was wondering how much it costs to run a pet these days, sounds like a lot!

footflaps

We have two cats. £10/month each for Flea / worming treatment and about £10 each for food.

hora
    Free Member

Our Westie got into alot of scrapes. I used human stuff on him. Worked a treat.

Never had a skin complaint etc etc issue in his life.

bearnecessities

Sodding cats.

Del

I used human stuff on him.

don’t do this unless you’ve done your homework. for instance germoline is poisonous if ingested, and animals have a tendency to lick wounds.

mightymule
    Free Member

A Fortune.

Black cat Mk II is currently in hospital and has been since Friday. I really don’t want to think about what the bill is going to be. Having said that, if it’s your pet then the cost is just not important – you just pay it however you can.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Apparently a lot of the internet stuff is fake; looks like the real thing but doesn’t work. I bought some Frontline on the web for our cats and it was useless.

amplebrew

Medic Animal are pretty good.

We use them to get Royal Canin food for our Tibetan Terrier.

thejesmonddingo

We deflea our cats with Fipronil,get it from Animed Direct,costs just over £2 a dose,one dose a month.Our vet recommended Fipronil,but wanted to charge us £6 a dose,and yes ,I checked,it is exactly the same strength.You need a prescription,but they have a vet happy to prescribe it based on cats age,sex and weight.

crikey
    Free Member

£4’000.

I’ve got a cat with 3 legs; got knocked down after a week of ownership, not yet insured.

Had £2000s worth of metalwork inserted in her leg, then a year later got caught by a fox and had leg removed.

£4’000.

tonyd

4 grand?! Holy smokes. Did you consider a shovel? Seriously, I’m an animal lover and I like to think I’d do whatever I could, but £4k. What does the vet do if you can’t pay?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Our dog is worth about £15k. Not bad for a rescue mongrel.

Fortunately, he was insured. I’d like to think we’d have managed but I’m glad we didn’t have to face that dilemma.

Still cheaper than kids though.

Oh yes, going back on topic, we pay the vet for the prescription, then use that to buy online. Works out cheaper.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘PSA Something I never knew about pet medicine.’ is closed to new replies.