Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • PSA – Some fine loake shoes and boots
  • theboatman
    Free Member

This is my first PSA so hopefully this hits the ticket. In limited sizes, but some fine footwear of beauty;

Right here

mashr

I’ll have a wee look but can’t imagine me in Loakes and shouldn’t really be buying at the moment anyway…..*sees perfect brogues for work* FFS!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oooh. Skinwall tyres for when you’re not on your bike. 🙂

Actually nice, but not for me sadly. I’m more a saddo deck shoe kind of guy.

boblo
    Free Member

I got a pair. Ta OP 👍

Scapegoat

Not rubbishing the PSA if it’s genuine, but I’d be very cautious …. there was a huge scam a year or so ago with offers of Loakes being sold well under ticket price. This is dated October 2018. If you google “Loakes Scam” it’ll bring up their FB page with a lot of info about the fake Loakes sites. (It’s also worth noting that Loakes won’t deal with companies that offer their shoes via mail order. https://www.pediwear.co.uk/newsitem/loake-shoes-ordering-update.php )

Here’s Loake’s response to the scams.

Loake Shoemakers
    11 October 2018 ·
    *Important Notice*

Thank you to those who have made us aware of a current scam on Facebook.

These scams, claiming to offer clearance discounts are linking to fake websites that are mirroring our own website. These websites and offers are not legitimate, and you will not receive product, so please be careful.

We’re currently working with Facebook and our Legal Team to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, please double-check the URL of the website before you purchase, and if you see Loake products being sold for an extremely low price, please report the activity to Facebook.

Authentic Loake shoes can be purchased direct from our online shop (https://www.loake.co.uk
    ), or from one of our approved stockists (https://www.loake.co.uk/storelocator/
    ) only.

Please feel free to share this post.

Kind Regards,
    Loake Shoemakers

boblo
    Free Member

I had a quick scurry around and the PSA relates to a small shop in Alnwick so hopefully not the hotbed of Internet fraud it could have been:

Hotspur 1364

Scapegoat

All good then. I would imagine a lot of places are shedding Loake stock after their change of T&C’s, especially if they need to shift old stock. Just wanted to urge caution.

cb

I have some black Loake brogues that were too small for me if anybody interested. Think they were 9s,worn a few times. 25 quid posted if anybody wants a bargain!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Made in India, not their UK made. FYI.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

CB, got a pic, model?

wysiwyg
    Free Member
    cb

wysiwyg – will dig out info for you

Drac

This isn’t a scam this is a local shop where I live who is trying to survive through the lockdown, Lisa is a lovely person so if anyone fancies a pair please buy some.

cb

wysiwyg – can you give me an email addy, messaging doesn’t seem to work and its prob not right to post the pics here.

Drac

Yeah sorry PM is broke.

theboatman
    Free Member

I came across the shop on holiday and used it actually in person!! And I’ve used it since on line without issue, so would echo what Drac said.

I also have some calfskin John White tan brogue’s in a 7 that I wore for a wedding that are a tadge too small, £25 if anyone wants them.

metalheart
    Free Member

Well, I was worried there for a minute as I have ordered a pair of boots…

Thanks for the reassurance re provenance Drac and OP… phew…

hugo
    Free Member

Worth noting that Loake run a two speed operation. The general stuff is made in India and the posher stuff only in Northampton.

I’m not suggesting that quality is affected by this. However, if the appeal is having “hand-made in Northampton” shoes then this is important.

Scapegoat

It has rationalised its UK wholesale portfolio over the past couple of years to provide a better service to its customers.

“It is important not to have saturation. We had too many stockists, and you can’t give the same service to 1,000 retailers as you can to a few hundred.

“The average price of men’s shoes sold on the UK high street today is around £50 [Loake’s retail prices range from £110 to £400]. If someone buys our shoes, they are making a conscious choice to spend more, so we have to justify the price.

“If you are building your brand on that basis, everything needs to be excellent – not only the product, but also the service and the communication. You can’t give a fantastic service if you are trying to look after too many retailers. You have to focus. Now we are dealing with fewer retailers, but they are more important to us and hopefully we are more important to them. We have a better relationship with our customers now than ever before.”

A quote from Andrew Loake, which explains why they want to keep online sales to themselves. (from this interview https://www.drapersonline.com/people/the-drapers-interview/loakes-journey-from-manufacturer-to-award-winning-brand/7036081.article ) and why some retailers are no longer stocking them.

Great shoes. I would always look for the 1880 range.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cheers, interesting. I’ve got a couple of pairs of 1880s

neilnevill
    Free Member

@theboatman I’m very interested in those John White’s, are they derbys or oxfords?

neilnevill
    Free Member

@theboatman I’m very interested in those John White’s, are they derbys or oxfords

messaging and profle’s seem borked. you can email me at neil dot nevill @ tiscali dot co dot uk

theboatman
    Free Member

@neilnevill they are a derby, and email on route 🙂

theboatman
    Free Member

No sure why that posted twice?

neilnevill
    Free Member

cheers, they look great, replied to the email. I have a dozen pairs of spare unworn shoes stacked at the back of the wardrobe…bought when sales were on….I now have a pair of Loakes and hopefully a pair of John Whites to add to the stack… I am aflicted!

theboatman
    Free Member

🙂 every time a parcel arrives my girls just ask ‘bike parts or shoes?’…guilty as charged.

boblo
    Free Member

Neilnevill = The Imelda Marcos of Northants products… 🙃

kirky72
    Free Member

This is definitely a bona fide store, I used to steel another brand of shoes to them, simply their online business trying to keep things ticking over.

Buy with confidence. I would buy those lovely wedge boots but have a few too many shoes at the moment to justify even such a great deal.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Lol at boblo! Possibly! Although most of the dozen pairs are cheap Clarks or an online place I used called gentlemen prefer brogues or best for. Those aren’t Northampton quality, but leather soled good year welted shoes at £25 a pair is worthwhile for an office shoe and they are at least as good as Clarks. The couple of pairs of loakes I have were my late dad’s.

Shoes, coats and watches are afflictions for me.

iomnigel
    Free Member

2 pairs of shoes bought that I don’t need 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Non in my size boo. Bought some boots earlier this year. Super expensive by my standards but well worth it. My going out boots for the next 10 years!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone heard of Lacuzzo shoes? On the same website

neilnevill
    Free Member

If any of you other guys are obsessive about shoe care and want some relaxing, informative, short YouTube videos for lockdown, I’ve found Preston Soto’s ‘The Elegant Oxford’ is good. Who’d of thought I could watch a video of shoes being cleaned…… I’ll be watching paint dry next.

dannybgoode

Love my Loakes I do – will have a look through – thanks for the PSA

Drac

Anyone heard of Lacuzzo shoes? On the same website

Yup I have a pair, guess where from, they’re lovely very well made.

nbt

Bugger, missed those Jack Whites. Might try some boots from Gentlemen Prefer Brogues. Kind of tempted by some loakes from the original link but the loakes i have are Epsom Derby size 6.5F, not sure that the size 7s they have won’t be too big: but then the Epsom uses a “country” last which is apparently roomy, so they recommend sizing down, so a size 7F might be ok. Thick end of £100 is a lot to spend to find out though…

Drac

Email Lisa the owner  she’ll be happy to help nbt.

neilnevill
    Free Member

nbt,I’ve had a couple of pairs of the chelsea/dealer boots and again think they are worth twice the price. For the cost the GPB shoes are amazing. I’ve had a couple of pairs of Hamptons (great casual shoes with jeans) I’d say easily equivalent to Clarks costing twice as much, 2 or more pairs of classic brogie tan oxfords corrected grain leather uppers and the sole leather is a bit cheap and wears a bit fast, but still way better than stuff like samuel windsor and at £20 they are great for the office, I’ve had a pair of the country brogues and the 3 or 4 of the gatsbys these are worth the extra money, better leather all round and still under £40! I’d say the sole leather is still the weak point but that these are worth 3 times the price if it were a big brand. The shoes are not Loakes, churches etc, but they are great at the cost, cheaper than a resole, even a half sole, and great for every day wear. I think the Gatsbys, th dealer boots and the Hamptons are all particularly good.

boblo
    Free Member

Well it was all a bit too good to be true… They’ve just refunded my order. Ah well, impulse buys and all that.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Really? I got an email from hotspur notifying of dispatch

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Some fine loake shoes and boots’ is closed to new replies.