Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • PSA Rear Wheel Alignment Tool – cheap!
  • tallmart10

For those of you who, like me, have recently had trouble setting up an 11 or 12-speed drivetrain (they seem to my simple soul much more finicky that older drivetrains) due to rear wheel alignment problems:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-pro-gear-hanger-alignment-tool/rp-prod122319

£20

It may not be as good as the Park Tool or Shimano ones but at that price it looks like a bargain.

I’ve just ordered one for next time.

scotroutes

I have an X-tools at home and use a Park at work. I prefer the X-tools.

nedrapier

cheers, boughtened!

If I was in the market for a hardtail 29er, I’d be sorely tempted by this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ns-bikes-eccentric-lite-1-hardtail-bike-2018/rp-prod160387

nedrapier

BC discount is a bit stingy these days? £10 off if you’re spending more than £150?

5plusn8
    Free Member

I am being a bit thick, how does it work? How does it check the alignment between the gear hanger and the rear wheel?

Edit -this shows how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXfvW0L3iLM

scaredypants

it’s a mech alignment tool really, just uses the wheel rim as an indicator of hub alignment (as long as your wheel is true, I guess)

happybiker
    Free Member

I was shopping for some winter gloves…. ended up with that tool and a Nukeproof carbon bar which was only £50. They both seem decent!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I have one of the Abby Tools hanger alignment tool. It’s lovely.

scotroutes

it’s a mech alignment tool really, just uses the wheel rim as an indicator of hub alignment (as long as your wheel is true, I guess)

Unless you use the same part of the rim for each measurement…..

submarined
    Free Member

Handy, m pretty sure my new hanger is on the wonk.

However, a quick Google reveals exactly the sort of lo fi solution I love. 10mmx1 threaded bar through the hanger, cardboard template of the hanger on the nds dropout, bend til the holes line up. Genius!

nach
    Free Member

(as long as your wheel is true, I guess)

Spin the wheel with the tool to use the same reference point and you don’t have to worry about this.

tallmart10

nice one, submarined.

I used the one where you take an old qr wheel and screw that into the hanger’s rear derailleur mounting threaded hole and align that wheel to the rear wheel. It worked but was a bit shonky and took quite a while. This should hopefully be much simpler/faster.

joemmo
    Free Member

I bought a cyclus one from BIkeDiscount and straightened the living heck out of 3 bikes. It was a bit of a faff but the hanger on my son’s bike was really out of true and it definitely improved the shift. A very infrequently used tool but good to have at a low price

However, a quick Google reveals exactly the sort of lo fi solution I love. 10mmx1 threaded bar through the hanger, cardboard template of the hanger on the nds dropout, bend til the holes line up. Genius!

yes I like that idea too.

damascus
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve ordered one too. I’ve been meaning to get one for years.

I think I’ll give it my sister as my Christmas present, it’s far better than a pair of socks

scaredypants

Unless you use the same part of the rim for each measurement

<blushes>

Poopscoop

You well find there is a lot of play in the bolt on this tool. I have one.

It works well enough but there is a bit of an “art” to using it whilst negating this play from the equation.

Once you figure out how to do that though, it is perfectly usable.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Once you figure out how to do that though, it is perfectly usable.

How?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just keep it under tension, (or compression) for all the measurements. That way, you’ve either added, (or subtracted) the slop from all your readings.

joemmo
    Free Member

You well find there is a lot of play in the bolt on this tool. I have one.

Mine has a grub screw that you can tighten to take out the play, check if yours is the same.

Poopscoop

^^ The grub screw on mine is already really tight. It’s just a widely known “feature” of the Brand X ones.

Onzadog is right. Basically just keep the play constant. Either pulled away from the wheel or pushed toward the rim. As long as you keep it uniform, it’s all good.

jimmy

I have one of the Abby Tools hanger alignment tool. It’s lovely.

Wants f’ be at that price!

granny_ring

Would PTFE tape help with the slack?

I’ve not used mine yet.

aide

Cheers for the heads-up tallmart10, just ordered one for myself. Been meaning to get one for a while since my last bent mech had me scratching my head for ages trying to get my gears to work.

rob1984p
    Free Member

I first encountered these when working at SJS and used a Park one regularly, it’s amazing how far out some hangers are, even on new frames. Truly an essential tool for any home mechanic.

Great PSA and as someone mentioned there are ghetto options.

I have had great success with an old shimano rear axle, nuts and some washers, a length of school table leg with a hole through it and a steel rule…all of which I had kicking around.

For £20 I was tempted to upgrade though!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘PSA Rear Wheel Alignment Tool – cheap!’ is closed to new replies.