• This topic has 174 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 175 total)
  • PSA – PX Tempest Rival 1 for £1299
  • s1m0n
    Free Member

@brant – do you only stock 172.5mm cranks? Would ideally be after 170mm or 165mm

brant
    Free Member

@brant – do you only stock 172.5mm cranks? Would ideally be after 170mm or 165mm

Occasionally have 170’s in. Never have 165’s. If you really need those, my only advice is buy and swap out.

brant
    Free Member

Rival22 Tempest will be available to preorder from tomorrow all being well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Alex

Anybody with a large weighed it yet? Curious.

My L weighted 22.5lbs in old money. Stock except saddle is now a charge spoon, My dodgy ebay scales tho tend to be approximate to the tune of a 1lb either way!

It weighs more now I’ve added a funky Birzman combined pump/Co2 inflater and my polaris bottle thing with tube and multi tool. Very strange riding without a pack!

mattbee

Large was sub 10kg on my cheap Amazon luggage scales. Now nearer 9kg with Chris King/Stans Arch wheels with G One tyres and SRAM S900 Carbon cranks with Garbaruk direct mount ring.

So it’s heavier than my xc bike but lighter than the Sonder Al it replaced.

harryjan
    Free Member

Can anyone confirm it can take panniers please? Super tempted as my choice for my pan European touring/bikepacking trip

Mowgli
    Free Member

Yeah plenty of mount points out back for rack and mudguards. The fork won’t take a rack however.

What tyres and wheel combos has everyone settled on? At the moment I have a set of those cheap Prime Race wheels with road tyres, and I can’t decide between the stock Fulcrum 700c Racing Sports or a nice set of 650b Mavic Crossmax SL Pros which I have lying around, for off-road duties.

nbt

Are there mudguard mounts on the fork? Looks like they’re at the bottom so might foul on the disk brake? Was looking at the XLA SL Rival 1 but this might be a better long term choice…

Mowgli
    Free Member

Yes there are mudguard mounts behind the axle and a hole in the back of the crown. Might foul the disc brake but you can usually bend the guard stays to suit.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Anyone got pictures of a small build ? … any issues with toe overlap on the small frames ?

brant
    Free Member

Front centre is listed as 599mm on the small. So you can measure/compare?
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/gravel-adventure-bikes/tempest

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

brant

Subscriber
    Front centre is listed as 599mm on the small. So you can measure/compare?
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/gravel-adventure-bikes/tempest

Cheers Brant, measures same as my Arkose then, according to tinterweb 🙂

karnali
    Free Member

Huge longshot here but anyone bought one of these or a rival 22 build on a spur of the momenent purchase and since thought I could do with not having it, size small or medium, if so drop me a message please

mlpinto
    Free Member

Another longshot, but has anyone bought a large and feels they should have got a medium? I’ve got a medium and feel it’s just slightly too small

mlpinto – I went through the same deliberation when ordering mine, but the words from somebody else earlier on in this thread about being able to fit lay-back seatposts and longer stems to a smaller frame being possible, whereas you cant make a big frame any smaller etc etc.

Out of interest, how tall are you? I’m 5’11 and originally ordered a large but changed my order to a medium just before it was assembled. I’m glad I made the swap as the medium feels spot on for me now.

mlpinto
    Free Member

Marin – that’s interesting to hear. I’m about the same height as you. I think I’m trying to get a similar position to my road bike and maybe need to rethink that. I have a longer stem to try too so will see what difference that makes.

Alex

Marin and I swapped a few messages on this. I’m 5ft11/short legs. I bought a L and wouldn’t have wanted a M! I do like my bikes a bit longer and my old M cross bike always felt a bit short.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Sorry if already commented on but what are the max tyre widths realisticly for both 650 and 700 options

richwak
    Free Member

I’ve had 2.1 on 650b and 43c on 700c with plenty of clearance on both options. This is just for frame as I did my own build and didn’t use the selcof fork.

Bregante

Richwak, I’ve been thinking of doing the same. What fork did you use?

waliboy

Has anyone got any feedback on toe overlap on the small size of these? I’m in that ‘in-between’ sizes height of 5″7″ and am wondering whether a small 650b with size 9 feet is going to be a mistake?

EDIT: Have just seen Brant’s response to a post above, doh! Will have to get measuring.

blisterboy
    Free Member

Can anyone who has a Tempest give some advice on sizing please?

PX’s sizing guide suggests I need an XL (I’m 6″2, inside leg 34″), but the large looks closer to my Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 57cm, which fits fine. I’ve been staring at the geometry tables for hours now.

Is it something to do with the upright position on the Tempest that makes the top tube seem so long?

harvey
    Free Member

i have the XL , I’m 6′ exactly, i have flat bars and a 120 stem. feels really comfy, its been bike packing 8days in romania, and is at home on gravel and red grade mtb trails. seems really good for the money.

flange
    Free Member

Anyone tried one of these with Horizon’s on 650b? I’m tempted to replace the frame and forks I currently have but want to use my existing wheels if possible

Alex

For loaded up Welsh C-2-C in three weeks I want some lower gears! The SRAM Mech will take a 40T cog, so my plan is to fit one and add a bit of 11 speed chain. Anyone know if the hub on the standard wheels will take Shimano or SRAM? I know I could just whip it off to look at it, but I’m feeling lazy and hoped there was a quick answer!

Alex

Ah right when I actually checked, it’s already a 42 🙂 So I need to pedal harder or swap the front ring….

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Sod it I’ve ordered one at the current price. I was looking for a new commuter in this price range so this was too good to pass over. Of course now I have to decide if this becomes best ‘Gravel’ bike and my 3 year old Escapade becomes the commuter, only riding will tell.
    The stock wheels are according to the manufacturer 2way-fit tubeless ready but they only support certain Schwalbe tyres. WTF, how does the wheel know what tyres are on? ok I get there are tolerances involved but a tubeless bead and casing is what it is and if the hook on the rim works with one then why not others…
    Anyway roll on build date (1st(ish) July 😊

BlobOnAStick

Received my Tempest Rival 22 about 4 weeks ago, but I’ve been away with work and a (bikes banned) family holiday, so only rode it on Monday for the first time followed by another trip yesterday. I’ve got to say over the 80 miles I’ve ridden it now it’s been sooo comfy and there doesn’t appear to be too much of a speed penalty against my PX Pro-carbon, even with the 40mm tyres on. I Love it.

BUT! I have a tick/squeak that is absolutely infuriating: It’s with each wheel turn and independent of pedalling or braking and is only evident when I’m sat on the bike. I’m sure it’s a spoke that’s slightly looser than the others and the nipple is moving in the rim, but I can’t find it! Argh!

Any tips to track it down? or shall I lube the nipples and see it if stops?

wwaswas

ping each spoek in turn with a finger nail/plectrum – all the spokes on one side of a wheel should sound the same – if one’s a bit different it’s at a different tension. Doesn’t mean it’s the source of the noise if there is an ‘odd’ spoke but at least it would narrow it down if you checked.

If you do go down the ‘oil your nipples’ route to see if it elimiantes the issue try doing where spokes touch each other as they cross too (but as a separate exercise – if you do spokes and nipples at the same time you won;t know which was the fix).

Blackflag
    Free Member

Would this frameset take my 45c WTB Riddler tyres??

brant
    Free Member

Would this frameset take my 45c WTB Riddler tyres??

Might be a bit tight. 42c Rock N roads fit though.

BlobOnAStick

If you do go down the ‘oil your nipples’ route to see if it elimiantes the issue try doing where spokes touch each other as they cross too (but as a separate exercise – if you do spokes and nipples at the same time you won;t know which was the fix).

Good suggestion – thanks, i’ll Probably try it a nipple at a time 🙄 (Just to note: On the Fulcrum 700’s the spokes don’t touch where they cross. Or at least they don’t on mine)

RichBowman

Sorry – bit of a hijack – question for Brant:

What’s the difference between these two Holdsworth Mystiques (for the £100 difference)?

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/EBHOLMYSFOR1/holdsworth-mystique-force-1-700c

and

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLMYSFOR1/holdsworth-mystique-force1

Cheers,

Rich

jfparis
    Free Member

Hi

Has anybody fitted mudguards on their Tempest ? What size / make fits well ?

thanks

neila

Matt black SKS Blumels in 45 on mine, minimal stay bending required and plenty of room for the 35c Panaracer Gravelking SK.

brant
    Free Member

Sorry – bit of a hijack – question for Brant:

What’s the difference between these two Holdsworth Mystiques (for the £100 difference)?

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/EBHOLMYSFOR1/holdsworth-mystique-force-1-700c

and

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLMYSFOR1/holdsworth-mystique-force1

Cheers,

Rich

The more expensive one is built, the cheaper one is custom and subject to a build queue wait. Or you can Pick Build Ride it for 10% off.

RichBowman

Cheers Brant – actually have it now. All good!

Mowgli
    Free Member

Anyone sourced a replacement rear axle for the Tempest? Mine had siezed and just rounded out whilst tryin to remove.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Anyone sourced a replacement rear axle for the Tempest? Mine had siezed and just rounded out whilst tryin to remove.

If anyone else is wondering, it’s a 12mm axle, 1.5mm pitch, 16/17mm threaded portion and 166mm shaft length. Brand X do one for cheap here.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘PSA – PX Tempest Rival 1 for £1299’ is closed to new replies.