Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • PSA- proper foul weather Altura waterproof for peanuts, small/medium sizes
  • Northwind

Just got one of these:
    https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/altura_attack_waterproof_jacket_2012-ID_24843
    Had another one for a while, they’re ace- not your lightweight summer showers waterproof mind, but totally midwinter-scottish-enduro waterproof, and pretty breathable considering the heavyweight construction (not as breathable as some thinner jackets but far more durable- very mountain bike compatible). And massive pit zips too for venting. I paid about £80 for the last one and that was a good price.

The PSA bit is half about the silly price, half that though they’re small only these are pretty outsized- I’m a textbook medium, 5’10 and averagey build and the small fits really well, even over my bulky elbow pads. So not the usual “sales for midgets and giants” crap. I’ve got this new one to replace my medium which is frankly too big.

Also it is as orange as ****. My other one’s brown, and therefore ideal for rolling in the mud, both are valid colours but clearly orange is better.

breadcrumb

Just ordered one. I’m probably an inch shorter than you but a typical medium, some t-shirts fit me better in a small depending on brand, so hopefully this should be a good fit.

Great PSA, cheers.

Bucko

I sort of don’t, maybe do, but probably don’t but might, need a 2nd jacket for commuting this winter…

Damn PSAs!!!

Northwind

Worth mentioning there it doesn’t have any hiviz bits- I was thinking I might get a second one but decided against it, the orange is bright but I’d rather have retroreflectives too.

Alex

I’m 5ft11 and have the ‘all weather’ brown one. It’s a NW describes – a proper jacket for when you’re out for a few ours in the rain, wind and/or snow. Mine was about £60 I think and the Medium definitely sizes up large. I’m tempted by the small for a) a closer fit and b) the orange colour 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Hmmm, my 10+yr old Altura Nevis IS getting a bit tired…. Orange for vis, or brown because that’s what colour the orange will end up?….

I ride an orange coloured Orange, so a no brainer!

Cyclestore on topcashback too.

Ordered, cheers Northwind 8)

robhughes
    Free Member

Superb.NW strikes again.
    Nice one bud.
    How are you getting on with the pikes NW.After reading your comments on them they mirror exactly my experience.Not that impressed so far.I’m about the same size as you so maybe that has something to do with it.I have rear that smaller riders seem to struggle with the set up on them.

slowoldman

Why can I never get through a week without having to buy a bargain?

Thanks anyway.

Jamie
    Free Member

So if a small is a medium, I guess I would need an XS 😡

pictonroad

Altura are mental with sizes, at 5’8″ I’m swamped by their XS stuff. I had to take 20cm out of their braces to hold up my 36″ waist small waterproof shorts.

Such a shame because it’s really good kit but it’s all MASSIVE.

scary_carey
    Free Member

Cheers Northwind! Just bagged an orange one. Your old carbon 456 is still going strong as well 😉

trevron73
    Free Member

I love the Attack Range , proper good kit , shame i am a fat knacker i need an xxl 🙁

Northwind

@pictonroad- totally agree, I bought a pair of medium Shield shorts at the same time which fit brilliantly and are sized totally different. (oh and a Royal medium jersey which comes down to my knees)

robhughes – Member

How are you getting on with the pikes NW.After reading your comments on them they mirror exactly my experience.Not that impressed so far.I’m about the same size as you so maybe that has something to do with it.I have rear that smaller riders seem to struggle with the set up on them.

Well it is slightly offtopic. I like ’em, I just get a bit negative because my Lyriks were ****ing awesome- low friction seals, coil spring, and tweaked to perfection over ages. So the Pikes had a hard act to follow and tbh they’re struggling.

Mostly it’s the spring I think but on balance I preferred the mico compression damper too- the RCT3’s a good simple bit of kit but the controls are less powerful. I’m tempted to try lighter damping oil as the high speed compression feels a little too much but still playing with the spring first.

But they’re still good mind. I’m just used to brilliant. But the bike moves better with all that weight off the nose, I love that change in feel. I’ll be back on the Lyriks for the alps so I’ll do more thinking then.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Looks like all the orange ones are gone now as it won’t let you add it to the basket. I’m not usually bothered by looks but I couldn’t make myself buy that brown one no matter how cheap they are 😆

jsync

Malvern Rider – Member
    jsnyc, thanks give me a shout via email if you want re wheels

Will do.

stoney
    Free Member

Im with MarkBrewer.... Orange wouldnt work, might try the brown….

stoney
    Free Member

Brown ordered…. 😛

jsync

**oops, wrong thread.

Ended up buying one though – Damn you Northwind!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Im with MarkBrewer…. Orange wouldnt work, might try the brown….

Other way round, I liked the orange 😉

The brown one is a proper turd colour 😆 I’ve just started riding to work too so probably not the best colour to be wearing for visibility in the winter.

Vortexracing

Cheers NW, brown small ordered, Orange one wouldn’t show in the basket

Ta very muchly 🙂

zeffir
    Free Member

Great PSA, cheers!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Small brown one ordered. Cheers NW!

Vortexracing

I’m wondering how many small brown they actually had I stock ❓

robhughes
    Free Member

Sorry everyone for going OT.
    It’s a strange world.NW.Thats exactly what i’m comparing them to.Iv’e got u-turn Lyriks with the little mod dome and a 2014 dual flow rebound damper fitted and i’m sorry but there in a different league to the pikes.
    Spoiled with them i guess. 😉
    Also had them for a few years and well dialed in.

ottocat
    Free Member

Bugger only small left damn my 6 foot frame and ape like arms

I bought a poo brown one a while back, when they were half price. I actually think it looks alright. I’m not Enduro enough for orange.

Great jacket

breadcrumb

I was half expecting an out of stock email, but I got a tracking number instead. Just hope it fits!

slowoldman

Got mine. I was a bit concerned that the Small (which I would generally go for) would be too big given the comments here. But it’s fine. Fairly roomy but I think it needs to be able to go over a couple of layers.

Well worth the £37.50!

breadcrumb

Got mine yesterday too, sizing is pretty good.

I should be able to get a base layer and a fleece under of need be.

Medium would of definitely been roomy.

Thanks to Northwind for the PSA!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

got mine and a decent fit, just checked their website and they have them (only) in large now.

Vortexracing

Got mine (small) but I really have too many jackets, anybody want it before I return it to cyclestore?

eastham8 at aol dot com

Ta

Dave

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘PSA- proper foul weather Altura waterproof for peanuts, small/medium sizes’ is closed to new replies.