Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • PSA Prometheus on E4 now.
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

You do know the film was on last night don’t you 😆

darrell
    Free Member

I actually think it’s an okay movie

but Ive got no taste so ignore me

perchypanther
    Free Member

You’ve got Sean Connery playing a Spaniard

“I’m not Spanish, I’m Egyptian” – Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez

P-Jay
    Free Member

My 2p…

Prometheus isn’t that bad, it looks great, it’s atmospheric, yeah there are some daft moments but every film has daft moments if you think about it, there are daft moments in lots of Sci-Fi films.

What it is not… an Alien film, forget the whole ‘same Universe’ ‘sort of a prequel’ thing, it’s not – there are links, but they’re not really important to the plot. Ridley Scott wanted to make a certain kind of film, but the Studios wanted another and a compromise was found, they pushed the Alien link – without that it would have been better received, just my opinion based on a single fact, when it was announced as an “Alien Sequel” (as it was originally) I couldn’t wait to see it, I was more excited about that than I was the new Star Wars, lots of people were, I was going to be there, Day 1, midnight showing, IMAX and all that, couldn’t wait – but my plans were thwarted by illness by the time my head stopped spinning and I knew what day it was, I’d read all about how ‘terrible’ it was – so I didn’t bother with the cinema and watched it on Bluray instead and incredibly, freed from the burden of expectation I thought it was pretty good – a solid 6 or maybe 7 out of 10. Not that surprising really, it’s got 70/100 score on IMDB and a meta score of 60.

I think Covenant is better, it more of an Alien film, IMHO it suffers from the same thing lots of films suffer from in the CGI age, because the makers don’t need to hide their shaky rubber monsters behind steam in almost pitch dark so you don’t see the wires they put them out on show and it kills the atmosphere.

I hope they make a 3rd.

As the the whole ‘Alien / Aliens’ debate – I think out perception is out – you watch the first two and the Xenomorph is such a brilliant monster and works perfectly with the way they trap the heros in with it that it seems impossible to make a bad Alien film, it should be easy – arguably the best Movie monster, add spaceships and enclosed spaces = perfection, but they’ve had a lot more misses than hits Alien3 was probably the worst IMHO, I liked Resurrection, but it’s not in the same league as the others and the AvP films are crap, another ‘how could you screw that up’ moment.

Personally I think the worst thing about Covenant is that Scott (it seems anyway) Killed off Neill Blomkamp’s Alien film which was pretty much the exact thing fans wanted it was going to be basically Aliens 2, Scott might call it “Faster Horses” but it could have been great, as long as he avoided the temptation to cast some weird South African ‘rappers’ in it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Alien3 is very underrated (in my view)

Definitely, and improved with the Assembly Cut. The film is bleak and while some people hate it for it, I like that it turned it’s back on the action hero kick ass ending that saved the kid, by having the kid dead at the start of the film. Also Brian Glover was brilliant in anything.

Alien still is by far the best for me though. Proper bit of sci-fi horror and still stands up today for a 70s film. Aliens dates a bit and is cheesy in places, though is fun. Resurrection I’ve not watched that much. Is okay is all I recall.

Stainypants

*Spoliers*

Prometheous/Covenant apart from being not very good, suffers from the same issues that crept into a lot of franchises lately trying to create a back story to the orginal that didn’t need to exsit. What was wrong with a crew finding a crashed spaceship that had been infected by an alien. We didn’t need a contived backstory that the aliens were created by a robot with daddy issues that belonged to the founder of their company. I’m sure in the next sequel we’ll find that the Nostromo didn’t happend across the crashed ship by accident so that everything can be tied up nicely

Other examples see spectre – every bad thing that happended to Bond was due to a jealous step brother.

Sherlock replace step brother with secret sister.

P.S Love Alien 3 first saw it on a pirate VHS shot in the with the wrong aspect ratio. Since then its star has been known to us as “gorney wea”.

retro83
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    You do know the film was on last night don’t you

Bollocks.

Oh well, if you’ve seen prometheus and thought it was shit, watch AGENT 9’s fan-edit instead. So much better.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have seen Promethues before but happened across it last night and remembered almost none of it. Thank you brain – you clearly know how to do your job correctly and filter out all the shit.

See also: Terminator [any of them after Terminator 2]

Cougar

Personally I think the worst thing about Covenant is that Scott (it seems anyway) Killed off Neill Blomkamp’s Alien film

Wait, what? It’s been cancelled?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Personally I think the worst thing about Covenant is that Scott (it seems anyway) Killed off Neill Blomkamp’s Alien film
    Wait, what? It’s been cancelled?

Last I heard deader than a dead thing.

Neill was never actually asked to produce it, but he put a few ideas / storyboards he had on Insta and got enough exposure to get the nod to start pre-production.

Sadly for him and us Scott got pushed to make Covenant, a mostly Alien type film rather than Prometheus 2, at first they met up to make sure nothing in either film was going to clause continuity issues and Neill changed the script slightly, the they didn’t want 2 Alien films bookending the story coming out in the same year so Aliens 2 got delayed and then killed, maybe in part because after his initial success with District 9, his fist big budget film Elysium didn’t do as well as expected, it made money but took a looong time to do so and Chappie did worse.

He released a couple of shorts on Youtube recently that supposedly use bits he would have used in Aliens.

Cougar

Damn it. I was looking forward to that, it could’ve been awesome.

The last I heard was that NB had agreed to delay his Alien movie so that it didn’t clash with Scott’s. But that was forever ago.

jimjam
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

Sadly for him and us Scott got pushed to make Covenant, a mostly Alien type film rather than Prometheus 2

I have a hard time believing that 80 year old Ridley, with $150million in the bank got pushed to do anything. They couldn’t make a Prometheus sequel because Noomi Rapace stated she wanted nothing more to do with the franchise, and even if she had agreed to be involved much of the film would have centred around a Swedish lady and a broken robot talking to big blue aliens.

More than likely he just acquiesced to any and all of the studio’s requests, he takes no part in the writing of his films and is little more than an eye for hire.

jonnyboi

The last I heard was that NB had agreed to delay his Alien movie so that it didn’t clash with Scott’s. But that was forever ago.

Nope, it’s deader than a used facehugger

That’s been nuked from orbit

Just to be sure

jonnyboi

More than likely he just acquiesced to any and all of the studio’s requests, he takes no part in the writing of his films and is little more than an eye for hire.

He’s a brilliant cinematographer, see the Martian & Prometheus

He just can’t tell a good script from a bad one

Also see the Martian Vs Prometheus

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’m waiting for Dredd v Aliens.

jimjam
    Free Member

jonnyboi – Member

He’s a brilliant cinematographer, see the Martian & Prometheus

That would be the work of cinematographer Dariusz Wolski.

jonnyboi

That would be the work of cinematographer Dariusz Wolski.

I stand corrected.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Corrrr wot? NB was going to make an Alien film?
    Blooming ek… I’m so out of it it’s untrue.

I’m a huge fan of his, although chappie was a teeny bit commercial at times.. but both district9 and elysium were fine movies.

jonnyboi

It was going to be set after aliens, basically pretending alien 3 onwards didn’t happen

nickc

m sure in the next sequel we’ll find that the Nostromo didn’t happend across the crashed ship by accident

Erm, I hate to break this to you…

jonnyboi

😆

PrinceJohn

I still think a much better sequel to prometheus would’ve been a body horror, telling the story of David’s experiments with the woman he escaped with.

jimjam
    Free Member

PrinceJohn – Member

I still think a much better sequel to prometheus would’ve been a body horror, telling the story of David’s experiments with the woman he escaped with.

The same woman who said she had no interest in returning to the franchise which I mentioned just up there ^^^^^?

PrinceJohn

The same woman who said she had no interest in returning to the franchise which I mentioned just up there ^^^^^?

Yup, that’s her. Would’ve made for a better film.

And it’s not like actors haven’t been changed in film franchises before.

P-Jay
    Free Member

RE: Neill Blomkamp’s Alien Film and the 3rd Ridley Scott prequal…

Before I start, I’m bored as hell during this Merrymium and I’m stuck in the house looking after a poorly 3 year old so I’m hunting around the odder ends of the web

Yesterday it was ‘announced’ aka rumoured that 20th Century has cancelled the next Alien prequal a few days before it was supposed to start pre-production in Sydney after the Cmas break.

Also yesterday Neill Blomkamp releases another batch of art work for his Alien film (which he also noted wasn’t going to be made).

2+2=5 but maybe they’ve ditched the “arty but less mainstream” 3rd prequal for a much easier to sell straight up Aliens sequel?

mattyfez

I thought prometheus was OK, good even.
    Covenant, I’ve attempted to watch about three times and got distracted or fell asleep.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Is it on again already? 😯

kimbers

Interesting PJay

Disney have just paid $40bn for Fox so I imagine they want to get some returns on.

Another snoozefest Ridley Scott Prometheus being ditched for a straight up Aliens sequel directed by Blomkamp, makes some sense

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘PSA Prometheus on E4 now.’ is closed to new replies.