Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Psa planet x Selcof carbon bars £20
  • damascus
    Free Member

Just got the first of several emails a day from px.

They have Selcof carbon bars on sale, very light but only 740 wide. Similar weight to exotic bars. Put a bit of bling on your winter bike.

Helmets are also a tenner again.

Selcof’s first carbon MTB riser bars offer 50mm of rise with a 6 degree back sweep to give you that perfect position for staying in control on any trail.

• All-mountain and Trail riding
    • Width: 740mm
    • Clamp: 31.8mm
    • Weight: 155g

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBSECRFH/selcof-carbon-riser-handlebar?utm_source=The+Planet+X+and+On-One+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=2b8572960d-DOTW14apr&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_561486488b-2b8572960d-271210457&mc_cid=2b8572960d&mc_eid=ade4b0dbd1

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the pics don’t look 50mm rise… more like 25mm.

damascus
    Free Member

With px it’s a lottery.

Do you go off the picture or the description?

I don’t think they proof read anything.

I’m sure the first people to receive a pair will feedback.

Chances are they are flat bars like before

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Perfect for my commuter, thanks. Not really bothered about rise height, I never spend more than 40 mins up on the bike anyway.

damascus
    Free Member

@Nobeerinthefridge don’t forget to add carbon paste of you don’t have any.

Let us know what they are like?

I’ve just bought some on one knuckle bars that so far seem very good

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Plenty carbon paste for my MTB.

Will do, I’ll post up the moment they arrive.

easily
    Free Member

Dumb question time, apologies in advance.

Why do we use riser bars anyway? Why not just put more spacers beneath them and raise height that way?
    I assume there is some good reason for it, but I’ve never known what it was.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why do we use riser bars anyway? Why not just put more spacers beneath them and raise height that way?
    I assume there is some good reason for it, but I’ve never known what it was.

20 years ago you could only get 2 types of bars, flat bars that were 580mm wide for xc or riser bars that were 680mm for everything else. As most bike frames had similar head tube lengths this worked quite well, if you wanted to do more gnarr you probably also wanted a higher front end so it didnt matter.

Then 29ers happened and people wanted flat bars for trail riding as suddenly your front end was 75mm taller. And XC riders realised 580mm bars were shit.

And short stems mean a few degrees of rise no longer adds a substantial ammount of height so we’ve gone back to risers.

You cant put too many spacers under the stem otherwise you’re putting stress on the steerer tube it wasnt designed for. Theres probably other ways to measure it but generally there shouldn’t be more spacers than stem. And minimising it is probably better.

They also made your bike look like a motorbike, which is probably why they persisted in the first place rather than headtubes getting taller.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

With px it’s a lottery.

Do you go off the picture or the description?

I don’t think they proof read anything.

I’m sure the first people to receive a pair will feedback.

Chances are they are flat bars like before

I’ve got them on my Scandal, just tried to measure it and I’d guesstimate 40mm from balancing a straight edge between the brake lever clamps and measuring down tot he center of the stem, but you’re trying to measure to an imaginary point so not unreasonable to guess that the centerline of the grips is about 50mm from the clamp.

The pictures probably deceiving, they taper quite gradually unlike say renthal which have a definite center section which tapers sharply into the upright bit, then the grip area.

the width is weird after riding 780mm bars, but it’s nice not to have to worry about trees!

spev

I’ve got a pair, very nice but they are not 50mm rise, 20mm ish is more like it

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

Easily – You think your question’s dumb?

My commuter has riser bars in a drop stem which is spaced up half an inch.
    It’s just what I had in the shed..

granny_ring

Are these ally covered bars or proper carbon….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are these ally covered bars or proper carbon….

Carbon.

easily
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon

Thanks, that was a good explanation.

The reason I asked is I’ve always disliked the look of risers, I much prefer straight bars*. Function first, of course, so I’ll put up with riser bars, I just miss the look of my (much) older bikes.

* I mostly ride drops these days, so it’s kind of irrelevant anyway.

damascus
    Free Member

Are these ally covered bars or proper carbon…

Website states Weight: 155g.

They must be just carbon

granny_ring

👍

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah I never understood the riser bar thing. It’s just fashion innit? You can achieve exactly the same position with fewer bends with flat bars and a stem with more rise.

riser bars in a drop stem which is spaced up half an inch.

Put the stem on upside-down…

alan1977
    Free Member

except when you put spacers on you move your bars closer to you as the steerer is angled backwards.. when you put riser bars on (without rolling) the rise goes straight up perpendicular to the ground

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s just fashion innit?

I always assumed it was more of an ergo thing, ie hold ypur hands out in front of you, with fist made as if to grip a bar. Your hands sit (well, mine do anyway!) naturally in a position to take a bar that has a touch of rise and back sweep.

I’m mibbe just talkin shite mind!. 🙂

damascus
    Free Member

You can’t put spacers on a set of forks that have been cut down!

fooman

IMHO 155g is a little light for any carbon bar – I’m sure they are ok quality but I wouldn’t use them in a stressful application.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I always assumed it was more of an ergo thing, ie hold ypur hands out in front of you, with fist made as if to grip a bar. Your hands sit (well, mine do anyway!) naturally in a position to take a bar that has a touch of rise and back sweep.

Try some Fleegles or Geoff bars. They look weird, then you realize that they’re actually at the angle your hands naturally fall in. Then you go back to ‘straight’ bars and wonder why people designed these things where the grip crosses your palm at an angle!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, straight bars just feel wrong!.

granny_ring

Taken a punt cheers OP.

dantsw13

Mine turned up today – finish is nice. They have 3 built in rough grip areas, around the stem and where each grip ring sits, so even without carbon paste they should be good. For the price, bloody marvellous!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb Dan!

dantsw13

Oh, and 154g on the kitchen scales. My Alps Heckler always had Exotic carbon bars, so I’ve never been afraid of lightweight bars. I’m 90kg

molgrips
    Free Member

Tring to figure out a requirement for these, as I already have nice light carbon bars on my XC bike.

Mine are 710mm though, which I love, but I might try wider just for the hell of it at that price.

Re risers vs flats – risers have (or can have) an up sweep as well as a back sweep. This means that the angle of the grips is always going to be different to using flats. My Trek was never right for me with flats on it. Not exactly clear why, but maybe the up sweep has something to do with it.

jeffl

Well decided to order some of these, bit rude not to at that price.

jwd606
    Free Member

Mine turned up today

What is the rise? 50mm in the copy or about 25mm in the photo.

jeffl

From the comments above it seems to vary between 20-50mm….

damascus
    Free Member

Does anyone run bar ends with carbon bars? Do you need an insert to stop them crushing?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

From the comments above it seems to vary between 20-50mm….

Depends where you measure it, I stuck a straight edge across the grips and it’s about 50mm.

But as I said the bend is quite subtle and they taper gently through the bend, there isn’t a U shaped center section like other brands.

risers have (or can have) an up sweep as well as a back sweep. This means that the angle of the grips is always going to be different to using flats. My Trek was never right for me with flats on it. Not exactly clear why, but maybe the up sweep has something to do with it.

They have up/back sweep when installed at whatever angle the rise is at. You could rotate them back so they had no upsweep, or forward till there was no backsweep, but the rise would change the effective length of the stem.

Similarly, most people won’t run flat bars flat, you rotate them forwards slightly so they have some upsweep and back sweep.

jkomo

Got mine, really nice, def not 50mm rise. Great finish and subtle decals. Really pleased.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Measured 50mm rise, well finished bar, perfect for commuter. 👌🏻

20200418_192025 by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

jeffl

Just received mine. 150g on the kitchen scales. Bit of burring on the inside edges but so far so good. Will post some pictures when I pop them on the bike.

velocipede
    Free Member

I was going to order some this morning – but they are back up to full price, unfortunately!

granny_ring

Mine arrived today, look fantastic for the money.

Cheers again OP.

damascus
    Free Member

I was going to order some this morning – but they are back up to full price, unfortunately!

They are still only £30!

jeffl

Sorry bit of a delay but finally got a bad photo of it on the bike. It’s in the sun so it’s showing the layers? of carbon quite clearly.
    Selcof Riser bars

But overall it’s a bar, it seems fine and didn’t break on the first pootle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Psa planet x Selcof carbon bars £20’ is closed to new replies.