Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • PSA: Pikes@ CRC
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

29″ 120mm & 650B 140mm reduced to £399. No info on offset but have asked for more info.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-pike-rc-solo-air-forks-2015/rp-prod139521

munkyboy
    Free Member

Turnkey damper?

munrobiker
    Free Member

RCs still have the same damper but a useless compression adjuster that doesn’t do anything instead of the three position one with adjustable low speed compression.

I like mine a lot.

chakaping
    Free Member

You beauty.

Was it you who PSAed the XT gruppos as well Doug?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Indeed, guess that’s what happens when your fishing around waiting for good prices on bits for a new build 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

My wife will want a word with you when she sees the next bank statement.

Cheers though.

🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

RCs still have the same damper but a useless compression adjuster that doesn’t do anything instead of the three position one with adjustable low speed compression.

I’m a touch confused, the compression adjuster on my RC works fine and I’ve never wanted the lockout that it lacks from the RCT.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not sure what munrobiker means, the compression dial on the Pike RC works fine for me. Very useable, if you like that sort of thing.

letmetalktomark

Well I’m in for a penny well actually 39,999 pennies 😳

I’ve been looking for a fork to replace the 110mm Reba on the front of my Sherpa and was looking at a Yari but these seem well priced (not cheap) for what they are.

Sound form the description like OE so shall see what turns up.

Cheers OP.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Thanks for that, just what I needed for my next build

vincienup
    Free Member

Argh. I was jsut thinking that a 275plus might be a little tight in my perfectly good Rebas…

Just been having a quick dig on RC vs RCT3 and came up with this on pinkbike. Is this correct? Also, can anyone with experience advise whether a 3″ tyre on 35mm rim is going to work with a 29er Reba? It looks to me like it will be tight…

Pike RC 160mm Solo air vs Pike RCT3 160mm Solo air.

Is there any difference except the fact that the RCT3 has preset compression adjustment positions?

Posted: Feb 28, 2015 at 22:35 Quote
    No.

letmetalktomark

@vincie – I couldn’t get my Reba (29er) to play nicely with my plus front wheel. Its mainly down to the rim (Hugo) but even with a narrower rim I would think a 2.8” tyre with adequate room for mud would be tight – the bulges are in the wrong places.

A 3” tyre ….. I would say no chance.

Now a 3” tyre in a 29er Pike ………

frogstomp

May depend on the tyre.. 3.0 Nobby Nic on 40mm DT Swiss XM 551 in a non-Boost 29er Pike is snug!

vincienup
    Free Member

Hm… I’ve got i35’s for rims (pro 4’s, not boosted) and have some 2.8’s in the post that aren’t here yet.

I’m not planning to go bigger just yet as the backend on the bike isn’t going to take much more than 2.8, what’s the consensus then – that 29er Pikes in non-boost are going to be a bit of a stop gap rather than an actual solution? I’d been wondering about McQueens tbh, but these seem a good price…

poah
    Free Member

RC does actually have a different shim stack to the RCT

snaps
    Free Member

I paid a fair bit less than that for some 27.5 Pike RC last week.

vincienup
    Free Member

@poah, ta – I thought there was actually a difference between the RC and RCT3 dampers just wasn’t sure what it was…

Is there actually a real world performance difference apart from the external adjustability?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I know that you can reduce the travel by fitting an air shaft assy, but can anybody confirm if the 29er 120 can be extended to 160?
    Are they all a common uppers assy and only the airshaft varies?
    Or are some of the uppers specific to the shorter travel and can’t be extended to 160?
    Ta

ChrisL

Have Pikes changed since 2015 or is this essentially the same as a 2017 Pike RC?

kix12
    Free Member

bought 1, thanks td. Don’t forget <10% using BC code 🙂

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I know that you can reduce the travel by fitting an air shaft assy, but can anybody confirm if the 29er 120 can be extended to 160?

I am fairly certain they can, yes.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

bought 1, thanks td. Don’t forget <10% using BC code

Given the saving is £40, you are as well taking out a BC membership at £22 just to save money on these!

chestrockwell

My mate changed his 120’s to 140 so I would assume 160 would work.

chakaping
    Free Member

I am fairly certain they can, yes.

I think so too, but maybe give Frank at Bounce a call as he could probably confirm and order you the shaft.

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Have Pikes changed since 2015 or is this essentially the same as a 2017 Pike RC?

The seal head on the charger damper changed in 2016 to an SKF as they old one leaked and required a bleed to the damper more frequently.

honourablegeorge

Just ordered a set of those from from Start for a mate, thanks OP. Happier with 2016s and no faff of spring change for the sake of £100

Trailseeker
    Free Member

The seal head on the charger damper changed in 2016 to an SKF as they old one leaked and required a bleed to the damper more frequently.

Yes, just got mine back after the third warranty return 🙄

letmetalktomark

So mine have just arrived in a box i wouldn’t have sent my least valuable possessions in 😕

As a result the crown is marked as are a couple of other areas nothing major but ……

The fork has come with 2 red bottomless tokens and instructions – as per the CRC nothing more.

The upside the forks I’ve received are RCT3 rather than RC.

I’ve no idea what this means 😆

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You’re a net winner, I think.

Marks will come and go, but RCT3 is a big upside.

chakaping
    Free Member

I got the RC model, which I’m perfectly happy with.

Appalling packing for CRC though, front of box was open.

letmetalktomark

@Chakaping – did yours have any protection or were they just a pair of forks in a flimsy box?

chakaping
    Free Member

a thin plastic bag within a flimsy box, which was splitting open

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Same rubbish packaging here, though all intact and no damage to the fork. Just the RC here.

letmetalktomark

Wow …. You got a bag!

Clink

Any update on the offset on the 29er?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

51mm

rudyard197
    Free Member

Mine have just turned up in a pretty battered box with half the tape missing. Below CRC’s usual standard. Bit confused as the box has RC on it but the back of the forks has RCT3 and the lever has 3 positions like my other Pikes. Are they all the same?

andyl
    Free Member

it is quite possible they are warranty items – ie customer returns faulty RC to CRC, CRC send out new fork to customer and in the mean time the importer/distributor get the RCs back and instead of fixing them just swap them for a new fork as they do with reverbs but send them back in the original box which is labelled as an RC. The forks are just whatever they had available to send back and an RCT3 doesnt really cost them much more than an RC.

I have had similar on actual repairs where I sent back an OEM Revelation 409 (no external floodgate) and got back my fork with a 426 damper. Presumably as they had plenty of the 426 dampers in stock.

Clink

I missed the deal so if anyone has got some 29er and changed their mind?

vincienup
    Free Member

@rudyard, depends what you paid for.

If you paid for and were expecting RC’s and got the more upmarket RCT3’s that’s cause for celebration I’d say…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Pikes@ CRC’ is closed to new replies.