Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • PSA: One One Parkwood frames £79.99
  • Northwind

I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with short bikes, it’s just completely taking the piss to make an 1135mm long bike with 417mm of reach and claim it’s long.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Thread somewhere on the dedar
    It’s not “that” slack and not very long.

You’re right about it not being long enough. But put 150 forks on, and it would make it 65° which is pretty damn slack

thomthumb
    Free Member

it’s just completely taking the piss to make an 1135mm long bike with 417mm of reach and claim it’s long.

+1. its got similar geo to an inbred, with a slack HA. Wheelbase/ front centre is longer; but the ETT/ Reach is the same as an inbred. which dates from 2002 ish. IIRC. hardly progressive.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Any value in swapping the bits off my Boardman 29’er onto one of these..?

renton
    Free Member

No.

spitfire355
    Free Member

Got a Chinese carbon 29er frame at the minute – really tempted by this.

Is the consensus good? Will it be an improvement despite the higher weight?

chorlton
    Free Member

+1. its got similar geo to an inbred, with a slack HA. Wheelbase/ front centre is longer; but the ETT/ Reach is the same as an inbred. which dates from 2002 ish. IIRC. hardly progressive.

Unfortunately for marketing people the human body doesn’t progress as quickly as they’d like so a bicycle will still pretty much look like a bicycle. 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Gits, just went to order one for a friend as I was too tired last night and they have gone up to £120.

Dark-Side

Oh well, that have saved me some cash.

superstu
    Free Member

Just had a look and still showing as £79.99 for me

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Gits, just went to order one for a friend as I was too tired last night and they have gone up to £120.

A number of prices have gone up at PX, but look at http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/deals/pay-day-7-day-frame-sale?sort=price-asc&utm_source=web&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Ban17DFS 😉

coomber
    Free Member

jamesmio – Member

Any value in swapping the bits off my Boardman 29’er onto one of these..?
    Posted 11 hours ago # Report-Post

renton – Member

No.

Not sure on the boardman what it’s like. I expect the Parkwood is slacker, boardman always came accross as more XC.

Check out the geometry if I were you. Not as simple as a no I’d say.

Not an on one fan boy, but these are good, fun, light frames. Wish it was an inch or two longer on the top tube though.

andyl
    Free Member

n0b0dy0ftheg0at – Member
    A number of prices have gone up at PX, but look at http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/deals/pay-day-7-day-frame-sale?sort=price-asc&utm_source=web&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Ban17DFS

You bloody legend 😀 That worked.

Did email planet x asking if they would let me have one for £80 but no need to wait for the response. Got in there quick before that price went up too.

Now which headset? The wiggle ones looks the best bet so far.

Building up a cheap bike for a friend by stripping my 29er scandal she has been riding and really likes but I think the Parkwood will be a better fit being slightly longer and a bit more modern with the 68 deg head tube, but will be a 100mm so probably about 69 deg. Still a lot better than the 71 deg of the scandal. If she hates it I can rebuild the Scandal. Just need to find some lighter 29e wheels now, probably crests as she’s very light.

andyl
    Free Member

Dark Side – Member
    Oh well, that have saved me some cash

get onto the on one site quick.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not overly, On-One always advocated long TT’s and short stems, so the fact they’ve not got longer isn’t such a surprise. For a 120mm ‘bit burlier than an XC frame, not quite hardcore hardtail’ it looks about right to me for a 60-70mm stem.

If it was 2deg slacker again and had a 40mm stem then I’d agree, but it doesn’t.

[edit] are we talking parkwood or deedarr?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

shows as £120 from that link (and the same link they sent me via email first thing this morning)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

They have now increased price at On One, andyl got the original sale price of £80 from that link ~2 hours ago.

thomthumb
    Free Member

are we talking parkwood or deedarr?

I was replying to northward re: deedar. but all of my comments are true re: parkwood too.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

They have now increased price at On One, andyl got the original sale price of £80 from that link ~2 hours ago

yes, and I clicked on the same link from an email at about 6.00am this morning and they were £120…

All pretty standard for O-O/PX.

bigjim

I’m just under 6’5″ on a L Parkwood with a 45mm stem and get by just fine

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was replying to northward re: deedar. but all of my comments are true re: parkwood too.

I disagree though (on the Parkwood, never seen a Deedarr in the flesh), it’s not an ‘enduro’ bike by any stretch, it’s XC/trail bike.

Near enough the same geometry as the Giant Anthem-SX for example.

If the Parkwood was a 150mm travel, 66deg HA, and still only had a 420mm reach in Large, then it’d be too short.

‘Winch and Plummet’ is all well and good, but I bet in 5-10 years we’re back talking about how the bikes of 2016 were too low and slack to climb at any reasonable pace off road and were only good for fireroad climbs.

Northwind

Like I said earlier, I’ve no issue with short bikes, it’s a matter of taste and that’s what some people want. (though, for me, I’m 5’10 and the large Parkwood is still smaller in wheelbase and reach than I’d ever buy… If I could get a hypothetical XL with the seat tube from the medium I’d probably quite like it.)

But they’re specifically advertising the Deedar as a long bike, and it’s not. That’s a different matter entirely.

(I still like their pitch for the Deedar- “It’s the trail bike we built because we wanted it for ourselves”. Making every other on one trail bike, one they didn’t want for themselves. :lol:)

renton
    Free Member

Bigjim @ 6’5″ Im not sure how you fit on the Large as Im only 6’1″ and find it too cramped!!

andyl
    Free Member

Another headset option, lifeline in carbon for £18 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-1-18-15-integratedheadset-with-carbon-cap/

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

isn’t the issue with the Lifeline it sort of fits but is actually a slightly different standard (as discussed earlier and also in the London Road thread)?

faustus

Well i’m just over 6’1″ and find it spot on with a 50mm stem, but can’t imagine fitting if i was 6-5 🙂 It is a bit down to taste, and agree with TINAS that it suits the kind of bike it is…and it is a good, fun ride.

EDIT: for headset I used one like this, but it was cheaper than it is now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/291100128554?lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=9046111&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-131843274306&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Northwind

renton – Member

Bigjim @ 6’5″ Im not sure how you fit on the Large as Im only 6’1″ and find it too cramped!!

We established a while back that Bigjim is a small 6’5. It’s about prominence rather than height above sea level.

bigjim

I do have a layback seatpost so maybe that helps. It’s nowhere near as long as my smuggler but it’s a fun thing to chuck about the woods.

We established a while back that Bigjim is a small 6’5. It’s about prominence rather than height above sea level.

Leave my prominence out of this 😳

renton
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

coomber
    Free Member

Im 6″ 2″ and use a thomson layback, helps I find.

andyl
    Free Member

Arrived just after 8am via Yodel.

I have to say it’s lovely. Wish I had bought one for myself now as it’s currently sat next to my Solaris frame and and I am feeling a little bit jealous.

Solaris is a 17.5″ medium, Parkwood is a 16″ small. Length wise there is not that much in it. I would certainly say it’s longer than the old Scandal 29er which is good. Building it up for a friend who has been borrowing my Scandal lately and really getting into riding. Was trying to find her an old Soul frame and build it up with my 26″ revs and some crest wheels but finding one in budget was proving difficult and she has been enjoying the 29er but finding it just slightly too short and I think the extra slackness of the Parkwood will help her on the steep stuff.

Glad we went for the black and green, going to look good with lime green anodised bits

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Mines built now with 100mm forks, seems very good for the money.

Edge Cycles headset went in fine (51.8mm bottom race like the FSA No 42 one). It’s got a low top cap rather than those tall conical ones, which is good on the smaller frame as the head tube is a little long.

How are people routing the cables? it’s a Small frame so i’m ending up with huge flappy bits of cable at knee height. I’m running them from the gear levers around the other side of the headtube, guess they need to go down the same side of the headtube as the gear/brake levers.

faustus

Remove flappy bits by trimming the cable/hoses surely! 🙂 I run mine 1×10 so only have one on each side, on the same side as they come from…i think I always do this if i can because otherwise you end up with a bigger loop to avoid tugging the cable around the headtube

dogthomson

No build pics?

Iz disappoint.

dudeofdoom

I run mine 1×10 so only have one on each side, on the same side as they come from…i think I always do this if i can because otherwise you end up with a bigger loop to avoid tugging the cable around the headtube

I did mine like this…

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘PSA: One One Parkwood frames £79.99’ is closed to new replies.