PSA – ‘OK boomer’

• This topic has 137 replies, 70 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by  benv.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • PSA – ‘OK boomer’
  • eddiebaby

Hang on, so you wanted to make people think you were a boorish prick?

They know that already. The desired effect was watching him explode in the manner he no doubt had hoped I would.
    I feel very sorry for the situation folk are in these days but if you dish out comments you better be ready for someone to come back at you.

Who’s the snowflake?

Me for not liking people who hold racist sexist homophobic xenophobic attitudes?

Or the one who is upset because he can’t be nasty about people?

Hat tip. Not many discover that mysterious perpetual motion that drives the internet since the late 2010s. Perpetual.

Just call yourself a Xennial.
    In-between a Gen X and later millennial.
    Analogue childhood, digital Adulthood.

Personal Home Computing dudennial?

I love this prejudice against sherry, it helps keep it unfashionable and hence incredibly good value for money.

Busted. A quiet yet alarmingly regular sh*rry was very nearly my downfall once upon a long ago. It sneaks up on you. Fabulous drink. It (combined with a strict aural diet of spacerock and old-school funk) convinced me that I was an attractive femme lesbian trapped in a sexy man’s body. Sherry? **** yeah!

fin25

It’s all marketing bullshit that’s been set on us by those in control.
    Saying that all people born in a certain era are the same is like saying all black people are the same. It’s nonsense.
    It’s not the fault of people born in the 1950’s that the kids now are getting screwed. Even the ones with nice big houses and decent pensions (there’s plenty of poor people around who were born in the 50’s too). If you’re young and angry at “boomers” you’re essentially angry at older People who’ve done quite well for themselves. By the same token, I’ve come across plenty of young people who work really hard, aren’t particularly sensitive and never talk about avocados.
    Anyone blaming an abstract group of fellow citizens for their problems has fallen into the trap. Look at who holds the power and why it might suit them for us all to be at each others’ throats instead of looking at what they’re doing.
    Yes, climate change is a real problem, but shouting at each other about who’s the biggest hypocrite isn’t going to solve it. Working together, across the generational and social divides is what will fix it.
    It really is obvious if you actually engage your brain and think for a minute.

mrmoofo

Fin25 … people have been banned from here for making rational and valid comments…
    vary your routes home, dude …

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Saying that all people born in a certain era are the same

Who said that then?

footflaps

By the same token, I’ve come across plenty of young people who work really hard, aren’t particularly sensitive and never talk about avocados.

They just don’t want you to explode when you find out they’ve had smashed avocado on toast for breakfast every day for the last 10 years……

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Who said that then?

Ah hadn’t you noticed it’s the general tone of the thread?

Saying that all people born in a certain era are the same

Who said that then?

The Internets, ie Pootube, Kekistan, Twotter, young MP’s, the New World! Now all different people are the same.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

“Baby Boomer”/”Boomer” is hardly a new term is it, and TBH I think it’s quite fair to point out the bollox that they’ve made of things, but their time is now drawing to a close.

I’ve just turned 40, obviously I’m the offspring of some ‘Boomers’ (both now late 60’s on the cusp of 70) I don’t consider myself a ‘Millenial’ (apparently some do) but I’d say it’s my generation (+/-5 years?) is the one currently in the midst of dropping a bollock on several major issues while the proper “millennials” and the mid-late 90’s born “Zoomers” are loudly and helpfully pointing it out…

Actually what the hell am I? a very late “Generation Xer”? we’re probably the crapest of all the generational bandings, almost bugger all use to anyone, and haven’t really improved the world much during our period of influence so far…

It’s covert ageism

Maybe, or it’s quite overtly pointing out intergenerational inequalities and assigning some blame for modern day issue to previous generations (admittedly with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight).
    Anyway I already openly blame half the worlds current ills on “Boomers” whenever my parents are within earshot, they just smile and think about their easily accumulated and retained wealth, comfortable standard of debt free living and the early retirement they’re still enjoying. Most of which I can’t really expect for myself or my kids in the future… Cheers Mum and Dad.

As for the “Snowflake” thing that’s not actually a generational descriptor (IMO/IME). It is a useful way to spot left/right, liberal/Bigotted leanings with various individuals.
    People often conflate “Snowflakes” and “Millenials” but some of the worst Bigots I’ve met fall in the “Millenial” age range and happily describe anyone that’s not a totally OK with open racism and/or sexism as a “snowflake”. They also tend to treat the term “Liberal” like some sort of dirty word. those people have of course been successfully influenced by old media (papers and telly mostly controlled by “boomers”?) and Social media (controlled mostly by “Millenials”?) into being generally objectionable people, so at least there’s some interaction taking place across the generations…

taxi25

Also, my wife’s family had a dog called Boomer, whom I met before he died.

Name dropping now MG 😉

nerd

It’s just something else to distract us while the neo-liberals and alt-right dismantle the world. Also see arguing over what your preferred pronouns are.
    The left will always be weak when they indulge in these kind of internal, and circular, arguments.

Good to see that negative, sensationalistic, divisive, stereotypical simplistic, binary labels are increasingly a kind of social ‘currency’.

Otherwise we might as well all be **** Humanists. SWIDT?

they just smile and think about their easily accumulated and retained wealth, comfortable standard of debt free living and the early retirement they’re still enjoying. Most of which I can’t really expect for myself or my kids in the future… Cheers Mum and Dad.

This sort of statement always gets me pondering. What could your mum and dad have done differently to make your life easier? And perhaps more importantly, in 30 years time what will your kids think you could have done differently to make their lives easier?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

in 30 years time what will your kids think you could have done differently to make their lives easier?

At this stage, i’d be absolutely gutted if he thought i could have done more.

Edukator

Did you actually read that link?

Yes, and now you have you’ll know what to look for on the packaging (or more to the point look out for the absence of) to know which tofu to buy depending on you attitude to OGMs in your food.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

This sort of statement always gets me pondering. What could your mum and dad have done differently to make your life easier? And perhaps more importantly, in 30 years time what will your kids think you could have done differently to make their lives easier?

Think of what I wrote more like a withering tongue in cheek comment than a deeply held belief, of course there are boomers that tried to improve things for younger generations, I just don’t believe they were in the majority.

Personally I don’t think my parents could have done much more for me or their grandchildren, but the generational inequalities still exist. Boomers as a generation have not left the world a better place for those that followed, and of course a fair few like to address any criticism by blaming younger generations exclusively for their own misfortunes, the truth is more complex than that.

Of course if you’d read all of my post you’ll note I also don’t believe the Gen-Xers (my own lot) are doing any better…

Premier Icon CheesybeanZ
    Subscriber

So it’s definitely not about cylons ?

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

Told everyone at work that I’ve figured out why I never quite mesh there, because I’m Generation X and they’re all Millenials. Was told it’s not that, it’s that I’m just weird.

hols2

It’s about saying that an entire generation (millennials) is being mocked for the fact they can’t afford housing and have legitimate concerns, and this has to stop.

And they dress in silly clothes and their music sucks.

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

I’ve kind of come to the conclusion that we are living in a time of incredible change on a scale of the industrial revolution. We’re in the middle of it so it’s hard to see. The implications are definitely beyond my comprehension and certainly far beyond most commentators on the daily mail website.

Some of the intergenerational stuff is a bit of a distraction from that.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Sherry? **** yeah!

I’m very partial to a nicely chilled Manzanilla.

Told everyone at work that I’ve figured out why I never quite mesh there

That’s the most perfect example of conjoint high and low self-awareness! Congrats 😉

Like rats in a sack the easily manipulated who form their opinions based upon tabloid headlines and thin on facts, sensationalist, irresponsible and biased journalism.

Then they get to vote “tactically” in the vaudeville show. Enjoy the personality assassinations, demographic demonisation (we’re better than them), outright lies, made up crystal ball predictions, pacts being made, stepping aside jiggery pokery while NOT thinking why can’t I vote for what I actually want rather than playing chess!

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Then they get to vote “tactically” in the vaudeville show. Enjoy the personality assassinations, demographic demonisation (we’re better than them), outright lies, made up crystal ball predictions, pacts being made, stepping aside jiggery pokery while NOT thinking why can’t I vote for what I actually want rather than playing chess!

Brought to you courtesy of first past the post.

crikey

certainly far beyond most commentators on the daily mail website

So is ‘What’s for tea on Sunday?’ to be fair…

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Boomers as a generation have not left the world a better place for those that followed

But you will?

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Well some people are trying. You seem a bit defensive though, if you don’t mind me saying.

Premier Icon Clover
    Subscriber

Interesting question – what could the previous generation have done to improve things now?

As a whole, they could have listened to the climate scientists and invested in renewable technology much earlier and more comprehensively and moved us away from oil addiction. Encouraged eco-house building and built more houses before reaching the crunch point where house prices are ridiculous and much of what’s being built is not particularly efficient and isn’t going to stand increasingly chaotic weather patterns.

Individually? Spent their money investing in smarter, greener technology (from cars to heating) rather than bigger, shinier things. I’m still trying to persuade mine and my partner’s parents that we would rather they bought solar panels now than leave us the £5-£10k they would cost (‘they won’t pay for themselves in my lifetime’ is their counter argument).

Not voted for governments that cut public transport and deregulated buses. That was a stupendously bad idea which has led to car-dependency and made it much harder for us to decarbonise transport.

All those pensions invested in the oil industry. I’m cross about those.

And I’m only a Gen Xer (which means I have a house, mortgage, no pension, no kids but solar panels and an electric car.)

tjagain

Well I am a baby boomer apparently and I bet I have a lower carbon footprint than most on here. NO kids, no car sees to that

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Clover, you are an individual with laudable ethics. What makes you think the rest of your generation is any different en-masse to my generation?

Plant a tree in ‘73
    Plant some more in ’74

deadkenny

Snowflakes – just applies to anyone offended by anything. Doesn’t matter the generation. It’s just the modern attitude that absolutely everything could be offensive and judgement should be made by social media (they did an episode of The Orville based on that).

Anyway, Gen X so I get to moan at old and young. Though mostly just moan at myself at how crashing on bikes hurts a lot more than it used to but I still have to work to pay the bills.

CountZero

It’s not the fault of people born in the 1950’s that the kids now are getting screwed. Even the ones with nice big houses and decent pensions (there’s plenty of poor people around who were born in the 50’s too).

I don’t have a big house or pension so where, exactly, does that leave me? Apart from not well off…

Well I am a baby boomer apparently and I bet I have a lower carbon footprint than most on here. NO kids, no car sees to that

Congratulations, I’m sure that, if you did have a car, it would be a Toyota Pius, easily identifiable by the cloud of smug it leaves in its wake…

Loughan

Toyota Pius, easily identifiable by the cloud of smug it leaves in its wake…

Thank you for that! Saw it coming but didn’t spoil the satisfaction. I’ll get back in my Vauxhall Disappointment now…

baboonz

The boomer meme is quite old, started gaining traction in 2016 post general election. It especially popular in the us, since boomers experienced an ever growing economy whilst millennials havent.

Premier Icon Clover
    Subscriber

@slowoldman – what makes a generation different en masse to the previous?

Hmm, we all know individuals who are more open to new things than others or more consumerist or more eco-friendly but if you take a generation en masse is about overall impact.

So, the direction of society is the sum of its parts. Climate science is now being listened to and investment is happening. We are not quite as comfortable as our predecessors and there is less incentive to defend the status quo (I think the people who had a continuously growing economy had assumptions that made it harder for them to snap out of it and change direction).

Obviously a society is made up of many ages so it’s like turning a tanker – I was reading the New Scientist when I was Greta Thunberg’s age and was horrified but I didn’t think about going on strike and felt completely isolated in my concern. Society (i.e. the adults around me) was more focused on either the loss of manufacturing (northern UK) or getting locked into the ‘loadsamoney’ stockbroker economy (southern UK). Globally it was the Cold War and potential nuclear Armageddon. No one was listening to science.

So, the difference in generations – it’s incremental but the younger generation is hearing the science. They’re also in a more precarious financial position which has the (counterintuitive) benefit that they’re more prepared to look at things differently rather than lock themselves into an economic model which hasn’t served us particularly well.

Obviously with huge numbers of people in each generation you will see individuals who are not part of the trend however the fact that things are changing (regulation, investment patterns, the insurance industry, research etc) means that enough younger people are doing things differently to their predecessors to have a measurable impact.

tjagain

count zero – it was in response to the statement about boomers not caring about the environment. And i would never have a prius. Pure greenwash

Edukator

Plant a tree in ‘73
    Plant some more in ’74

I remember that, the next two lines too:

Let them thrive in ’75, chop ’em to sticks in ’76.

I think the ever present threat of being fried in a nuclear explosion was reflected in the hedonistic, carpe-diem attitudes I had in the early 80s. In Munster the youth of the day expected to be over run by soviet tanks or caught up in an exchange of nukes.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.