• This topic has 137 replies, 70 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by benv.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)
  • PSA – ‘OK boomer’
  • olly2097
    Free Member

funkmasterp

Subscriber
    Shit! I’m a millennial. Born in ‘77
    I feel unclean

Get a grip Snowflake.

Just call yourself a Xennial.
    In-between a Gen X and later millennial.
    Analogue childhood, digital Adulthood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xennials

Though I have seen definitions of millennials starting from 1981 making you a true Gen X.

Love the subject. Only because I like my parents and colleagues labelling anyone young a “millennial”…..

18 years old???? – millennial.

seadog101

Difficult one to explain but I hope this works:

A colleague was offended when I sounded them out for their attitude.
    Who’s the snowflake?

Me for not liking people who hold racist sexist homophobic xenophobic attitudes?

Or the one who is upset because he can’t be nasty about people?

I’m 50, he’s not yet 30.

Cougar

“snowflake” I find is an insult thrown by people who object to being called out for questionable, eg racist, views. See also, “triggered.” Anyone using those terms as insults, it’s a shibboleth that you are in fact dealing with a ****.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I usually find that calling someone the C bomb has the desired effect. None of this segretion in builder land!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m technically Gen-X, then, however since I was firmly camped on the internet long before most people knew what it was, I feel I identify more with millenials. I don’t like avocado though, that might disqualify me.

I can use ‘Ok boomer’ to my parents if I ever argue with them again though.

Also, my wife’s family had a dog called Boomer, whom I met before he died.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I hate all this crap. Divide and concor. Liberal snow flake, millennial, urban elite, boomer. Blame that lot for X,y,z it’s simple. They are the problem. No it’s not simple, except for **** Vs not ****.

blokeuptheroad

It’s covert ageism, a sly way of calling someone a stupid old c**t. Which is bizarre considering us “boomers” are supposed to be the inventors and primary perpetrators of the various isms. Too many labels and divisions.

stumpy01

I’m sure my parents have got a baby boomer edition of Trivial Pursuit that they must have had since the mid ’80s. It used to take ages as no one could answer the bloody questions!

I have to admit to referring to one bloke at work as millenial snowflake. Nothing to do with his age; just the fact that he whines about everything…..the software doesn’t do what he wants, the computer’s too slow, the lights are too bright, he doesn’t like the free lunch option on a Friday, the roads are too busy etc. and annoyingly he moans about these things but does nothing to rectify them, so just continues to moan when the same thing happens again – have you contacted so-and-so to sort that out yet? Well no, but moan moan moan…..

But , according to that chart up there, I am also a millenial – just…..

molgrips
    Free Member

I have to admit to referring to one bloke at work as millenial snowflake. Nothing to do with his age; just the fact that he whines about everything

That is soo totally not related to being a millenial. It’s not like some older people don’t whinge like hell about stuff is it?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I usually find that calling someone the C bomb has the desired effect. None of this segretion in builder land!

A term of endearment in the west of Scotland.

Tj, given the rage that seems to envelope you at what others think of as a triviality, I’d say you’re a gammoner, thoroughbred gammoner. 🧟‍♂️

funkmasterp

Get a grip Snowflake.

😂 The whole thing is very odd. Labelling a whole swathe of people. It’s as bad as astrology

Wonder what the next generation will be called?

BillMC

I love this prejudice against sherry, it helps keep it unfashionable and hence incredibly good value for money. Can we get one going against cask IPA?
    Boomers were more likely than previous generations to be closer in age at marriage, I’d like to think that helped engender more egalitarian attitudes and relationships.
    Manzanilla anyone?

wwaswas

Wonder what the next generation will be called?

The Last Ones.

funkmasterp

I doubt it. We give cockroaches and rats a run for their money when it comes to adaptability.

perchypanther
    Free Member

A term of endearment in the west of Scotland.

Yep,

If you really want to insult someone here you must call them a daftie, or if you really want to cross the rubicon,  suggest that “their Da’ sells the Avon”

There’s no going back from that.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m a boomer who was late to the party, finished school just before the Winter of discontent and graduated with 3 million unemployed. I soon became an economic emigrant. Not sure how I’d react to being called a boomer (unlikely in these parts). Probably “yeah, yeah, Winter of discontent, 3 million unemployed, poll tax and now we’ll compare our carbon footprints”.

The generation who use boomer as an insult have a yeti-sized carbon footprint because they fly everywhere and then claim they’re ecologically sensitive because they buy “natural” soap and eat tofu made from genetically modified soja that has tavelled a quarter of the way around the world (and are so **** ignorant they are shocked when you point this out – if they haven’t just dismissed the fact as bollocks). A link for any non-boomers: 😉

https://www.europabio.org/agricultural-biotech/faq/gmos-and-the-european-union/why-does-eu-import-gmos

https://ec.europa.eu/food/sites/food/files/plant/docs/gmo-traceability-gm-free_labelling_study_case_en.pdf

I have a new one:

“Generation hypocrisy” for the generation enjoying cheap flights, cheap cars, gas central heating… and protesting about climate change.

cubist
    Free Member

I agree with her. And then she uses it. And then …

…read the comments. And then go and boil my head in tar. Feels good, doesn’t it? (Goes biking)

Did that NZ politician just ask how many Dick heads?

kennyp
    Free Member

I’ve no time for all these bloomin’ millennials, swanning around like they rent the place.

I always thought snowflake was just a modern acceptable term for someone who was a bit soft and easily offended. Nothing to do with their age. In the 70s you would have called them something a bit less PC.

When I was a kid there was a song on the radio called Six White Boomers, by Rolf Harris. I always thought it was about kangaroos.

BruceWee

Is she being sarcastic do you think?

“Today I have learnt that responding succinctly and in perfect jest to somebody heckling you about *your age* as you speak about the impact of climate change on *your generation* with the literal title of their generation makes some people very mad,” she wrote.

“So I guess millennials ruined humour. That, or we just need to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and abstain from avocados.”

mrmoofo

Not to sure that throwing out partronising labels at people really helps her cause – though CBA to read the whole transcript.

I am guessing ” boomer” is just another way of saying “shut up you old fart”

footflaps

Ok – I thought it was only 50s babies! Is being a boomer a good or bad thing?

If you’re sat mortgage free in a £m + house (which you paid £2k for) with a £70k/year final salary pension index linked and a brand new car on the drive every couple of years, then it’s pretty fantastic!

My parents have done very well as boomers. Also had a few older colleagues retire millionaires thanks to property and pension investments from the 70s…

Sadly all the final salary schemes shut down just before I was able to join…

molgrips
    Free Member

The generation who use boomer as an insult have a yeti-sized carbon footprint because they fly everywhere and blablabla..

Ok boomer.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve no time for all these bloomin’ millennials, swanning around like they rent the place.

Very good.

Inter-generational strife is the new class war, IMO. A little mutual understanding would go a long way, but mainly on the boomer side to be honest.

Edukator
    Free Member

Ok boomer.

OK caravan-towing ecological terrorist. (this is humour mods)

Mat

I opened this thread imagining ‘OK Boomer’ to be a command issued to a new release of smart speaker.

Human: ‘OK Boomer, what’s the weather going to be like today’

Smart Speaker: ‘Oh I don’t know, what do experts know, they never get it right, probably cold and wet, I thought we we’re supposed to be having global warming. The problem with your generation is you’d be able to afford better weather if you weren’t spending all your money on avocado on toast’ etc…

😉 (as above, labels probably not helpful)

jam-bo

I always thought snowflake was just a modern acceptable term for someone who was a bit soft and easily offended.

its a chuck palahniuk quote:

You are not special. You’re not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You’re the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

CraigW
    Free Member

The generation who use boomer as an insult have a yeti-sized carbon footprint because they fly everywhere and then claim they’re ecologically sensitive because they buy “natural” soap and eat tofu made from genetically modified soja that has tavelled a quarter of the way around the world (and are so **** ignorant they are shocked when you point this out – if they haven’t just dismissed the fact as bollocks). A link for any non-boomers: 😉

https://www.europabio.org/agricultural-biotech/faq/gmos-and-the-european-union/why-does-eu-import-gmos

Did you actually read that link? It says most imported soya is used for animal feed. Whereas most tofu is made from EU grown soya.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

As a gen-Xer i’m sick of all these gammons attempting to boomsplain to me why all the soyboys are snowflakes

eddiebaby
    Free Member

When I got a boomer comment on Tuesday I did ask the young man responsible how his saving for a house was going. It had exactly the desired effect.

slowoldman

Ok – I thought it was only 50s babies! Is being a boomer a good or bad thing?

Apparently it’s a bad thing and I’m a parasite. Sorry everyone.

wwaswas

It had exactly the desired effect.

he slapped you?

jam-bo

It had exactly the desired effect.

reinforcing how far up the ladder has been pulled? 😉

Alphabet

Acording to Drac’s post that make me Generation X. How cool is that? It’s like I’m one of the X-Men or something.

fasthaggis

how his saving for a house was going

Did he ask you to explain the concept of this saving thing?

chakaping
    Free Member

I did ask the young man responsible how his saving for a house was going. It had exactly the desired effect.

Hang on, so you wanted to make people think you were a boorish prick?

molgrips
    Free Member

I opened this thread imagining ‘OK Boomer’ to be a command issued to a new release of smart speaker.

You’re definitely funnier than Ed 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s like I’m one of the X-Men or something.

X-People. Get woke.

Superficial
    Free Member

I am guessing ” boomer” is just another way of saying “shut up you old fart”

That’s not it at all. It’s about rejecting the narrative that is put forward by the established baby boomer generation (see all those headlines someone posted earlier). It’s about saying that an entire generation (millennials) is being mocked for the fact they can’t afford housing and have legitimate concerns, and this has to stop. ‘OK boomer’ is simply an ironic riposte to the usual ‘millennial’ jibes that get thrown around.

It’s also, more importantly, about shifting the narrative and saying actually young people DO matter. Our concerns about climate change, finance, the healthcare burden of an ageing (baby boomer) population are not something that can be trivialised and made to disappear. It’s about saying that a whole generation cannot be financially irresponsible while at the same time being much more responsible, statistically, when it comes to smoking, teenage pregnancy, global warming etc. It’s also a coming-of-age thing; millennials are taking over and putting their foot down. I think that’s why it’s taken off – because it describes a whole generation’s angst so succinctly.

It’s not intended to put (older) people down, in fact it’s just about saying “Hey, we have concerns, it’s time to listen up”. But if you disagree, well, you’re a stupid old boomer 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘PSA – ‘OK boomer’’ is closed to new replies.