• This topic has 26 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mttm.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • PSA **New tyres at 18bikes**
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Cheaper aletrnative to the new High Roller 2
    CST BFT @£25

and a less aggressive tread maybe akin to the Maxxis advantage? CST Heathen

The BFT come sin a super tacky like compound also and both have added puncture resistance. £50 a pair sounds good in these times of austerity. Will report back!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

anyone tried these?

sambob
    Free Member

Used to have CST tyres on my old Merida and they were surprisingly good at everything, I like the look of these. The Camber looks like a good summer tyre, and the BFT might be a good match for and Advantage, just not sure which way round.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i am liking the look of the bft for 90% of the year in the Peak. Needs to beat the spesh eskar tho.

One way that this could happen is a dual compound (rear) and a sticky compound tyre (front) in 2.4 run tubeless as they seem pretty light

sambob
    Free Member

Agreed, was surprised at the weight for the 2.4, 100g lighter than a 2.4 ADvantage I think. Si said he’s going to try them tubeless when they arrive. BFT looks tough too, got a puncture strip around the centre.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

will let him be the guinea pig then lol

sambob
    Free Member

Yup, looking forward to the results.

bellys
    Free Member
    rob-jackson
    Free Member

I think they may be the single compound version as the rrp is only 16 quid!!

retro83
    Free Member

cruzheckler – Member
    I think they may be the single compound version as the rrp is only 16 quid!!

looking at their website, guessing you mean the wire version (as they’re all listed as single compound)?

Great price though. Are they a new company? not heard of them before

rob-jackson
    Free Member

never heard of cheng shin tyre company? Old as the hills, make Maxxis amongst others.

retro83
    Free Member

ah, makes sense cheers for the heads up

Trekster

any heavy duty dual ply stuff suitable for Alps holidays?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not sure about that trekster email them at info@18bikes.co.uk

18bikes

Now then. Cheers for the mention cruzheckler.

We’ve picked BFT and Heathen from CST to try as some more budget alternatives to Maxxis.

AFAIK, there’s not a sticky of either, although the folding versions of the Heathen are a dual compound (stickier sides, harder wearing mid)

We should see our first stock thurs/fri and know a bit more then.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Cheng Shin Tyres used to be OE on a lot of Jap motorbikes. The acronym CST was soon taken to mean Cheap Sh1t Tyres as they were pretty poor. Fast forward a couple of decades and they rebranded as Maxxis. Now they have a good reputation for making reasonably priced tyres that give good mileage and average levels of grip.
    Maybe we should wait until they start branding them as Maxxis?
    They are very big in the motorised off road markets, both 2 and 4 wheel.

Trekster

AFAIK, there’s not a sticky of either, although the folding versions of the Heathen are a dual compound (stickier sides, harder wearing mid)

Liked the look of that one 😆
    Being advised to get some dual ply tyres for my hols but don`t really want to spend loads on tyres for a few days riding. On the other-hand better that than constant punctures

Anyone know what the Maxxis Freeride tyre is like?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

matt24k – they make tyres for maxxis not rebranded as maxxis. A bit like the frame makers in that area (merida for example making other brands frames)

chakaping
    Free Member

Trekster – I’ve always picked up my 2-ply tyres from the classifieds on here for reasonable money. Maybe try a WTD advert?

Matt24k
    Free Member

cruzheckler
    I was refering to the motorcycle market and the change in brand name. Maxxis is actually a brand name wholly owned by Cheng Shin Rubber. So maybe a bit different to the Merida example you quoted.
    My point was that maybe they will use the Maxxis brand when the tyres are of a better quality as they did in the motorcycle market. I’m not saying that the mtb tyres are sub standard. I’m just remembering how the company improved the product and rebranded in the motorcycle market.
    Back to the OP to let us know how he rates the tyres, whatever they call them, in relation to more established brands.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My point was that maybe they will use the Maxxis brand when the tyres are of a better quality as they did in the motorcycle market

Or maybe the same tyre at 2 price points? It probably costs FOX/RS/Marz within a few percent, the same to make (for example) a Sektor TK and the top of the range Blackbox Rev. But if they only made the BB Rev, it’d have to be cheeper to appeal to more markets, and they’d not make any money,

simon430
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether they come up small or large? Currently got Kenda Bluegroove 2.5, but find the way too draggy and these seem to be a good alternative.

Thinking of the BFT in 2.4 flavour.

sambob
    Free Member

They look big, but I’ve only got the same photos as you. Try giving 18 bikes a ring on friday.

18bikes

we should shave stock on Thurs – got shipping confirmation today. I’ll do my best to take some photos, with size comparisons. Think I’ll try 2.4 BFT.

Si

18bikes

Now in stock, with some (slightly) better photos

http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b122s399p0&tbv=CST_WHEELS_Tyres

BFT – chunky, like a Minion, in 2.25 or 2.4

Heathen, like a lower profile Advantage, not as low profile as an Ardent though. That make some sense?!

Si

rOcKeTdOg

Pffft! Only 26″?

mttm
    Free Member

Any idea what the two compounds in the dual compound tyres are? I couldn’t find this on the CST website. Are they a “Maxxis-a-like” 62a/60a or 42a/40a? Or something a bit more useful? 60a/50a would be nice… 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘PSA **New tyres at 18bikes**’ is closed to new replies.