Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PSA: New Pipedream Sirius 853
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Pipedream have a new 853 Sirius. Looks quite nice indeed.

Reynolds 853 butted main tubes
    Traditional 'A' – seatstays
    Gusseted HT/DT/DT junction
    Bridgeless chain stays
    Double bent stays
    Sliding dropouts
    Clearance for 2.5" tyres

269 quid!

http://pipedreamcycles.com/sirius_page_menu.html

Being a 631 Sirius owner, and more than happy with it, the new variant look rather decent on paper and in the pics.

PJ266
    Free Member

Do want. Would build into a lovely singlespeed.

CountZero

Very pretty, although none of the pics seem to relate to the 853 model. There are no sliding dropouts shown, the chainstays are bridged, and the frame doesn't have an 853 sticker on it. Having said that, if it follows the general principals of the Sirius frame, then it's going to be a sweet bike indeed, with A-type seatstays it might be able to take a 650B wheel…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

If you scroll to the bottom of the page there's three pics there of the new version in matt black – below the geometry table.

RE: Stickering. My 631 isn't stickered with a Reynolds logo either. IIRC if you ask they'll put one on if you really wanted one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This is good. I like it a lot.
    Mainly though it's nice to see 853 tubes at a sensible price again, the cheapest since the 853 Inbreds a couple of years ago. It's difficult to see where your extra £200 is spent if you buy a Cotic…..

PJay
    Free Member

I've got a pre-order in for one, initial delivery expectations were for sometime in December, but I'm not sure if that still holds.

I fancied a change from my 853 Inbred and the 853 Sirius looked ideal (the other option was a Genesis Altitude). I hadn't spotted the bit about the bridgeless stays though. I don't have a particular problem with bridgeless stays but the bridgless stays on the Inbred are, IMHO, overly wide giving minimal chainring clearance and the potential for lots of damage in chainsuck situations, does anyone know what sort of chainring clearance you get on the Sirius (I'm hoping it'll be the same as the original bridged version).

If you ask Stuart he'll send you pictures of the frames.

theotherjonv

Where £269?

It says £295 on the page on that link.

PJay
    Free Member

£269 is the pre-order price I think (it's on the homepage) £269 when they land I assume.

ampthill

The Genesis website has an interesting article on the whole chain/tyre clearance issue. Sugesting that A genesis might be a better bet in this regard.

Chain suck article

PJay
    Free Member

I have read that article and a Genisis was top of the list, but the Sirius is £100 cheaper and looks good too. Both frames have mud room for 2.5" tyres, so neither should have overly wide stays like the Inbred. Equally though I don't think that it's just the mud room that dictates the chainring clearance, the profile of the outer of the stay seems important too. I looked at a built up Altitude in Evans and the chainring clearance still seemed a bit tight to me.

CountZero

Aha, thanks for the tip about the extra pics at the bottom, I'd only clicked on the 'more pics here' link half way down. Mmmmm, does look tasty, and those slidey dropouts are nice and sturdy. Damn you for placing temptation before me… 😕

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Apologies….

Just make sure you post some pics when you buy one. ;o)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PSA: New Pipedream Sirius 853’ is closed to new replies.