• This topic has 86 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • PSA: new Luther tomorrow 9pm
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

And what’s with that knees-akimbo walk? Has he got piles?

Kryton57

Edit: As you were…

mrmoofo

It’s just glum and violent, rubbish acting , mumbled vocal track …. and flimed in such dark light it is difficult to see …
    And why does everyone raves about Idris … acting is very monodimensional …

surfer
    Free Member

I thought there was something wrong with my TV.. May try again tonight but so fra looks like overated crap. Dont rate him as an actor either.

P-Jay
    Free Member

And what’s with that knees-akimbo walk? Has he got piles?

That’s Idris’ ‘natural’ bowling gait. Or at least Luther and Stringer Bell both have it.

I must be the only STWer who’s actually really enjoying it? Maybe my NY resolution to be far less cynical and over-analytical is helping.

johndoh
    Free Member

I am enjoying it too – I especially liked the switch in character by the surgeon. And the dim lighting in the unlit house felt realistic rather than just underlit.

anagallis_arvensis

I must be the only STWer who’s actually really enjoying it?

Nope I’m enjoying it too.

Kryton57

And me. I’ve been following the thread and not sure if its me that prefers my brain switched off, or I do one if those analysing every detail actually enjoy watching telly for what it is. Maybe they’re on a higher plane or something…

theotherjonv

it’s just fashionable to by all grumbly about realism / continuity / acting. Don’t listen to them, it’s an entertainment show. Are you being entertained by it*? If yes, then ignore them, if not or if the ‘errors’ are spoiling it that much go and do something else.

My new years resolution is to not surround myself by grumpy feckers because they infect me with it, and I’m fed up being like that. Where I can’t avoid them I try to ignore them.

* yes, i am, even if it is from behind my hands at times.

psling
    Free Member

I think a few of are enjoying it (despite our satirical posts).

…mumbled vocal track …. and flimed in such dark light it is difficult to see …

I’ve found this with a number of programmes – or at least until my children and younger colleagues pointed out that it wasn’t a problem for them….

And why does everyone raves about Idris … acting is very monodimensional …

I think he’s in character to be fair.

stumpy01

I’m enjoying it. There’s been more than a few ridiculous moments, but it’s a TV program….

Yesterday’s episode definitely had a few ‘gasp’ moments….!

MrSmith
    Free Member

flimed in such dark light it is difficult to see …flimed in such dark light it is difficult to see …

I had to create a new profile on the tv just to make it watchable, it looks like it was shot in Log/raw and just had a basic grade done for editing and never got sent back to the colourist.

There’s no detail in the lifted blacks (more like greys) either, it really should have been checked on a 3year old mid range LCD tv before being signed off.

That said I’m enjoying it and have started to watch series 1 from the beginning on Netflix as I remember the radiator chaining and a few other episodes but haven’t seen the whole story develop with her.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It’s certainly got more interesting with Ruth back as Alice. What’s with the gangsters home, though?

Does he really live in a big expensive house surrounded by his “gang” all the time? Perhaps he’s got a shed for some “me” time…

mrmoofo

Isn’t getting Ruth back a bit of a cop out…. the murder story isn’t going to be that interesting … so bring in mad as a box of frogs Ruthie …
    Considering Loofah is such a hard man, he does seem a little soft in the head …

johndoh
    Free Member

Considering Loofah is such a hard man, he does seem a little soft in the head

That has always been central to the story from the beginning though – he loves her/is fascinated by her despite knowing it’s completely the wrong thing to do.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I like it, the gangster guy is good and Alice being back adds an extra complication.

The surgeon stands out for me, the bit with the patient and dropping in “….and because you’re a diseased whore” while explaining the procedure was fun.

The new character, Halliday, I’m not keen. I didn’t like her in something else I watched and she has a constant look like she’s late for sixth form english.

Kryton57

The new character, Halliday, I’m not keen. I didn’t like her in something else

You mean the actress the plays Halliday…

jimmy

The surgeon was very unsettling. Eeesh.

DrJ

I had to create a new profile on the tv just to make it watchable, it looks like it was shot in Log/raw and just had a basic grade done for editing and never got sent back to the colourist.

Maybe you have your speaker cables in back to front?

johndoh
    Free Member

Agreed – I thought it was superb how they threw that one in – from sub to dom when he was in a different environment

MrSmith
    Free Member

Maybe you have your speaker cables in back to front?

no, nothing out of phase here.

as a side note the location house is on swains lane in Highgate where rollapaloozer have a hillclimb every year.

Kryton57

as a side note the location house is on swains lane in Highgate where rollapaloozer have a hillclimb every year

I too notice that having ridden up there myself and assisted with the supporting club 2 years again. I’ve also noticed Luther using the North Circ south of me where I’d join it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

https://www.themodernhouse.com/past-sales/swains-lane/

i put a link in previous post but couldn’t see it? hopefully its above this

Moe
    Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Been enjoying it too although there have been quite a few moments where it feels like a little more attention to detail would help with the realism. I remind myself that this is entertainment / a story and not reality so let the little things ride. However, last nights obvious ones were: He has an awful lot of free time for a consultant, wifey can just breeze into surgery viewing room, wifey didn’t even start to bleed properly from the scalpel stab and was “happy” walking about with the police and finally the jump to fingering the surgeon as the bad boy by Halliday all seemed a bit sudden and unfounded.

But, like I said, as a piece of fictional entertainment we are enjoying it.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think Benny’s still alive. Alice shot Mr Palmer with the gun Loofah gave her before he left.

I do wish violence was portrayed better in films. Benny – I’ve been hit in the face. Just once. Half my head swelled up like a balloon. If Benny had been hit in the face that often that hard, he’d be unrecognisable. And probably dead.

tthew

I think Benny’s still alive. Alice shot Mr Palmer with the gun Loofah gave her before he left.

It didn’t look like that when the camera cut to the shot of her face being spattered with blood.

wifey didn’t even start to bleed properly from the scalpel stab

Ha, that was my thought! Either she was wearing a stab vest under those scrubs or she’s double hard, the blade was about 4 inches long.

Having said all that, Silent Shitness is back next week. After that I expect Luther to be nominated for some kind of investigative journalism documentary award at the BAFTA’s.

chestrockwell

I’m enjoying it. Was not so sure about the shift in direction over the earlier series but am now liking the longer drawn out caper.

As for the colour… Idris said on BBC breakfast that they film it in winter on purpose to make it more gloomy and dark.

MrSmith
    Free Member

As for the colour… Idris said on BBC breakfast that they film it in winter on purpose to make it more gloomy and dark.

but thats a crappy answer because they shoot in a raw/high bit depth format that has huge amounts of dynamic range and while very flat out of camera they can grade the footage to whatever feel/contrast/saturation/curve/LUT/colour balance they like in post, they are not dealing with a brightly lit dynamic scene that you get in summer so theres loads of information to play with.

in short it’s s stylistic decision that’s been taken too far and looks rubbish on your average TV.

andyl
    Free Member

Looks fine on mine (Sony 8 series, 3 years old).

It’s got a bit too heavy with the mobster. Prefered the less contrived story lines but still enjoying it.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It didn’t look like that when the camera cut to the shot of her face being spattered with blood.

Hmm. You have a point. Perhaps she’d passed the gun to Barry before Mr Palmer got there, and he did the business.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Perhaps she’d passed the gun to Barry

To me….to you

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Barry would need to be quick on the draw with a hitman pointing a gum at his head

johndoh
    Free Member

Wrigley’s?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

If Barry is dead, what’s happened to Benny? And who’s Barry?

theotherjonv

No, it’s persons as yet unknown. Maybe Paul Chuckle, maybe Withnail who’d been quietly making soup in the kitchen.

Sorry, not soup – coffee. The bowl fooled me.

When Luther finds out, he delivers the immortal line “f*cker’s alive!”

anagallis_arvensis

in short it’s s stylistic decision that’s been taken too far and looks rubbish on your average TV.

Looks fine on my old telly, maybe its your eyes?

colournoise

Suspect Benny’s still with us too somehow. The show’s not shy about showing a bit of violence but all we see of that is the blood splattering Alice’s face.

tthew

Well I guess we’ll find out in about 3.5 hours!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sorry, yeah… Billy. I mean Bobby.

Er

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘PSA: new Luther tomorrow 9pm’ is closed to new replies.