Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • PSA New Dan Brown book – Origin
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

As mentioned, some of you like this stuff.. some will take the piss.
    Me, I like the books.

jekkyl

What ancient set of symbols and hidden meanings is he raping this time?

funkmasterp

He’s a terrible, dreadful writer, but I’ll probably read it when it’s 99p on kindle

A voice spoke, chillingly close. “Do not move.” On his hands and knees, the curator froze, turning his head slowly. Only fifteen feet away, outside the sealed gate, the mountainous silhouette of his attacker stared through the iron bars. He was broad and tall, with ghost-pale skin and thinning white hair. His irises were pink with dark red pupils.

A silhouette with white hair and pink irises stood chillingly close but 15 feet away. What’s wrong with this picture?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’d rather read The Tiger Who Came To Tea.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

To be fair the Devinci Code was pretty good. Rattled along at quite a pace and if there was cheese and corn I never noticed it. Tapped into an Indiana Jones seam and read like one of the movies.

Everything else I read though…….a flaming pope plummeting from a helicopter had me calling it a day on Dan.

nwmlarge
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

It makes a lot more sense than anything Dan Brown has ever written.

hodgynd
    Free Member

As I turned over the numerous pages of his humongous book called The Davinci Code with one of my two hands I paid scant notice as to how repetitive the repetition was like as I sipped on my large G& T with my other hand ..
    It never occurred to me that this fast paced thriller that I was reading at a snail pace would get panned by the critics who would criticise it .

I like Dan Brown’s books ..warts n all.. 😆

DrJ

“The Da Vinci Code” had Audrey Tautou in the film.

That is all.

codybrennan
    Free Member

If you’ve read “the Da Vinci Code”, do yourself a favour (and the guys he shamelessly blagged the whole underpinnings from) and buy:

bikebouy
    Free Member

You do realise its just an entertainment book don’t you.

If you are all so worthy, post up the last book you read.. I imagine it’ll take a few minutes to decide on which ones are morally and scientifically up themselves enough to warrant a “woo, ahhh, my your a learned fellow of STW aren’t you” from the STW crowd.

Maybe we could give you a score out of Ten for your choice…. Go!

Mackem

Thought it was more of a rip-off of Umberto Eco’s “Faucaults pendulum” – which I recommend.

theotherjonv

+1 – those Telegraph comments come across as supercilious smugness rather than any useful criticism.

I expect he couldn’t really give a shit as he ponders what to spend his next few million on.

PS last book I read other than a bio / autobio / self help book was ‘War of the Worlds’ and what a shit ending that was.

aracer
    Free Member

It was just not quite as bad as all of the other bound together, word filled collections of paper he has created. All of which are slightly not as good as his most famous work of words on paper, the well known The Da Vinci Code.

Admittedly I hadn’t realised that was the summit of the river as far as his awkwardly worded and repetitive creative generation of words was concerned, which are also repetitive. So I made the mistake of running my eyes over several other collections of paper he imagined, and using my brain to translate the marks on the paper into words, which was a mistake.

DrJ

Thought it was more of a rip-off feeble imitation of a parody of a shadow of Umberto Eco’s “Faucaults pendulum” – which I recommend.

FTFY

Klunk
    Free Member

He’s just jeffrey archer in a mask!

aracer
    Free Member

It’s not about it being morally worthy – that’s just entertainment, I only tend to read “entertainment” books rather than “serious” fiction. The difference is that’s well written.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I like the subject matter of Dans, ok so the writing and prose elements are ponderous rather than thrilling however there are elements of suspense and adventure.. it satisfies my need for read before bedtime.

I’ve read many books on this “type” of subject and sometimes one or two pop out as enthralling, most are a computerised copy with a few words changed.. sadly.

Paul Sussmann is (was) a great author, his books are thrilling in the same narrative yet add a gritty element, seek him out..
    Here’s one of his fro reference:

winston
    Free Member

Some people eat nothing but microwave meals, coke and haribo and think its food.

Plenty of people drink blossom hill and think its wine.

and people read Dan Brown thinking its a novel.

In my opinion life is too short to eat, drink and read rubbish.

aracer
    Free Member

I also like that subject matter, but it’s not like there’s such a shortage of it that you have to subject yourself to Dan, because there are plenty of other options and also alternatives. Plenty of really well written books in that genre which are competently scribed.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Buy it, don’t buy it. Enjoy or don’t. But why be a snob/risk missing out on the fun stuff?

Plenty of other caper story options for any soul brave enough to enjoy a caper that isn’t a rubbish-tasting middle-class gherkin thing. Did you know that one of the finest caper films ever has also been bookalised?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Indeed, thats why I put up another author I read.. ^^

Each to their own.

I see the Mr Magoo factor is in so I’m off.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Currently reading a Graham Hurley novel ..borrowed light..only a few pages in ..
    The last books that I really enjoyed were by Peter May : The Lewis Trilogy: The Blackhouse,The Lewis Man, The Chessmen..also The Coffin Road..based on the Isle of Harris..

Pyro

If you are all so worthy, post up the last book you read.

The Code Book – Simon Singh.

I’ve read a couple of Dan Brown novels, while stuck in a holiday cottage, bored witless, where the choice was Dan Brown or Mills & Boon. I should have gone for the Mills & Boon…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If you think the DB books are bad do not go anywhere near any of the clones that cashed in on the hype.

I’m currently working through a series of a Glasgow Rebus set of books. Entertaining just about covers it.

Before that though was Ken Follets Century Trilogy. Absolutely fantastic, can’t recommend it high enough.

nickc

just an entertainment book

If badly overwritten 2d fluff is what you want, then you’ll get it in spades from a Dan Brown Book

Fiasco;American Misadventure in Iraq, TE Ricks

TheFlyingOx

Dan Brown upon reading the comments in this thread:

slowoldman

“The Da Vinci Code” had Audrey Tautou in the film.

Oh I hadn’t realised it was worth watching.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘PSA New Dan Brown book – Origin’ is closed to new replies.