PSA – new book "Scotland Mountain Biking – THE WILD TRAILS – VOLUME 2" available

Home Forum Chat Forum PSA – new book "Scotland Mountain Biking – THE WILD TRAILS – VOLUME 2" available

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • PSA – new book "Scotland Mountain Biking – THE WILD TRAILS – VOLUME 2" available
  • Cheers, purchased, the 1st volume was excellent.

dh

Just got an email from the nice folk at bikemaps.

Phil McKane has done a volume 2 with new trails. I know some folk didn’t like some of the routes in his first but I thought it was ok to be fair.

Anyhow linky

use code “Wild” to get £1.50 off.

ta ta

gazc

just got one as well – heading up to the highlands soon so thanks for the heads up

Are all of those routes not already in the public domain anyway?

druidh

Nobody wrote:

Are all of those routes not already in the public domain anyway?

You mean on an OS map? 😆 Think how many therads there are on here from folk looking for routes. There’s always a market for a good guide book, though I like them to have something extra in them – maybe something about the history of the route you are travelling along.

I’m a bit confused by the grading system used in this book though,

Medium:Hard:Extreme. seems simple enough, but under one of the “Medium” rides it says This is a gentle undemanding trip, perfect for beginners or those looking for an easy day out on the bike.

Premier Icon stevenmenmuir
    Subscriber

Kenny Wilson FTW.

Premier Icon P20
    Subscriber

We’ve got about 9 of these guide books. They work, nice routes, easy to follow descriptions and directions. Looks like we’ll be adding another

dh

Is Lenny Wilson not doing a new book? Ain’t heard anything about it for a while though.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Looks alright that – Druidh you should do one!

Looks alright that – Druidh you should do one!

At least Druidh’s probably ridden it & not just looked on an OS map & thought…’hmm, that looks like a good ride, think I’ll publish it’

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

At least Druidh’s probably ridden it & not just looked on an OS map & thought…’hmm, that looks like a good ride, think I’ll publish it’

I wasn’t having a pop (although I can see why you might have thought that) I know Colin has put the miles in and probably could come up with a list of excellent rides if he so chose.

martinxyz

Yeah Druid,do one!

::points his thumb over his shoulder:::

Only kidding.Seriously though,you should.

Wasn’t having a pop Geoff, It’s just that I have done lots of rides from ‘guide books’ that have been abysmal to say the least. You know the bits I mean, ‘follow the track for 3km from A until you come to B’, & there’s absolutely no trace of a track at all & you spend the next 1.5 hrs peering at a map or plodging across a bog.
    I actually have the 1st Volume & found it very good. Apart from a few bits. (I still haven’t done ALL the rides!)

Druidh, get your finger out! (along with 13floormonk, stuartieC a few others off here.

Aye Essel, like that one we did in May that was seven miles pushing out of the total of 10 was it?

PS Still herding the cats for the Scott.

Premier Icon mrhoppy
    Subscriber

I quite like my guidebooks to spell major navigational features correctly. I’m assuming that the river Baan in Perthshire is actually the Braan given where it is on the map as a starter.

dh

The route gurus here should knock up a kindle version for £5 all proceeds to charity . Bosh. Job done. Contribute 2 or 3 routes each. I would buy it for sure.

doh

Cheers for the psa bought

druidh

Guys – I’m flattered 😳 However, writing a decent guide book needs a level of commitment and organisation (not to say a decent memory) that seems beyond me. I shall, of course, continue to update my blog as I do new stuff, or re-visit some older routes so you can always dip in there. Here’s a question though; would folk actually appreciate a selection of downloadable GPS routes/tracks? If so, I should need give some thought to how they are organised…

stevewhyte

Looks good but a bit heavely focused on the far north.

dh

druidh – if you have any GPS logs of your adventures I can only think publishing on your blog would be a good thing? Depending on how much work it is I guess. Always nice to be able to pull them into google maps for example for a quick flyby…

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

would folk actually appreciate a selection of downloadable GPS routes/tracks?

YES

Premier Icon vertebratetom
    Subscriber

Glad to hear that our guides are getting out and about and people are finding them useful.

If anyone’s got any ideas (ie GPX stuff or ‘extras’ in the text) or feedback (which routes are rubbish, which names we can’t spell etc) for any Vertebrate guides, get in touch – it’s all useful.

(Or if you fancy writing a guide…)

info@v-publishing.co.uk

Cheers,

Tom

Marko

. . .would folk actually appreciate a selection of downloadable GPS routes/tracks? If so, I should need give some thought to how they are organised…

Why reinvent the wheel?

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Default.aspx

Marko

gazc

it would be useful to have GPS tracks of the routes in the book – i know a few of my mates would be more keen to try more natural/non-trailcentre rides using a combination of book/gps

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘PSA – new book "Scotland Mountain Biking – THE WILD TRAILS – VOLUME 2" available’ is closed to new replies.