Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PSA – Long discussion on self-harming on LBC
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Probably finished now but you can get the podcast – in case you, or someone you know, does this.

One good ‘tip’ was a girl saying that found clutching an ice cube for a long period of time could produce the required feeling of release without actually needing to harm…

jaylittle
    Free Member

Will try catch up with that. I work in a school and its a growing problem.

PiknMix
    Free Member

It’s all about elastic bands on the wrist and pinging them as hard as you can, hurts like a mofo but doesn’t give the same release as a deep cut.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Icecubes or snapping an elastic band on the wrist are two ‘low harm’ alternatives worth trialing

jaylittle
    Free Member

I’ve heard of the elastic band trick but the ice cube is a new one.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

probably good to let the sufferers hear it as well, as they had lots of suffers phoning in.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Interesting topic with a lot of misconceptions around it. Did they talk much about life after self harm? Can be a tricky thing to come to terms with when the damage is often life long.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wev’e got a lad in our place who’s a serious self harmer, the one I remember best (cos I took him to hospital) was when he stuck a tube out of a ‘biro’ into his bicep all the way in. They had to cut him open to get it back out.

TimP
    Free Member

If anyone can find a link to it it would be greatly appreciated

Ta

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

@Tim

It should be Petrie Hosken’s show from today, 1pm>2pm. Not available just yet:

http://lbc.audioagain.com/presenters/16-petrie-hosken/325-the-whole-show

Also, LBC charge for their podcast/listen again service.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It went on after 2pm as well as there were so many callers – I didn’t hear it all – I was out buying raw cat food !

ninfan
    Free Member

My oldest has had real problems with this, and we’ve had the elastic band advice, but never heard of the ice cube one, definitley be giving that a try, thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Long discussion on self-harming on LBC’ is closed to new replies.