Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • PSA – Lidl allen key set
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Picked up a set of these yesterday, they’re made of CR-V and nice and long. Look damn good for £4.

German bargain tools

patriotpro
    Free Member

Buy cheap, buy twice.

chvck
    Free Member

Buy cheap, buy twice.

That saying is such a crock of shit!

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve been using one of those sets for a few years now. Very good.

wagenwheel

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Your right, I’m going to get 2 sets!

blastit
    Free Member

Like the look of that Laser level for 6.99

The rate I lose tools, at least I won’t cry when they go missing.

bedmaker

Normally I’d say life is too short for crappy tools but I’ve been using a set of those for a few years and the’re fine.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’m going to get 2 sets!

You will need to, the bigger ones are OK for occasional use, the smaller ones are soft as babba.

To be fair they are cheap so aimed at occasional and light use I imagine.

I’d go for these – http://www.screwfix.com/p/wera-9-piece-hex-plus-hexagon-key-set-ball-end/78506

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve found the whole set to be great, perhaps you had a duff set PP.

(or are a bit hamfisted 🙂 )

Three_Fish
    Free Member
    chiefgrooveguru

Wera screwdrivers are fantastic too – we bought some for work and they last so much longer than anything else we’ve tried, which makes them excellent value.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve found other Lidl tools to be v good. Got a club hammer with a lovely hickory handle for £5.

But I’ll report back on the allen keys in two years, just to settle things.

🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

my set were brittle as hell.

sounds like questionable heat treating – him above were soft mines were brittle.

wera would be a much better bet if there isnt much in the price

z1ppy

Halfords Pro range instead? £14.. yes still a tenner more but mine have outlasted any number of crap sets I previously had.
    It’s also saved me any number of issues cause by rounding off bolts… only wish I’d bought a good set sooner!

Don’t get me wrong, I love an Lidi/aldi bargain but am distrustful of stuff like this.

CraigW
    Free Member
    somafunk

Is the Lidl folding saw any good?

Not really, it works fine for the first few branches but after that the inverse v serrated teeth on the blade go blunt very quick and it jams in branches etc, i guess it may be ok for very light maintenance but it’s not suitable for repeated use.

For light trail maintenance get yourself a folding silky pocketboy, you can pick them up for £25ish and you’ll never regret the extra expense as they are generally regarded as the best you can buy, ultra sharp and will zip through anything under 4″ dia with ease.

I use a Silky Zubat but that has a 330mm fixed blade that hangs in it’s sheath from my holster when i’m on trail maintenance duties on my local trails, quite dear at £50+ but the best bit of bike stuff i’ve bought this year as i’ve cleared a helluva amount of fallen trees with it and opened up miles of new paths, i pair it with my Stihl razor sharp bush-hook and stihl felling axe, they make quite a formidable pair when hanging from my rucksack waist strap – bring on the zombie apocalypse – i’ll be right in there 😀

Silky Zubat £50ish

Still Bush-Hook £16ish

z1ppy

Never leave home without it…

In the pack by z1ppy2, on Flickr
    (Silky Gomtaro)

brassneck

I’ve had a set of those Lidl keys for two years, all sizes been perfect.
    4-5 bike rebuilds plus usual maintenance.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The lidl saws only last a little while before blunting (I have 2) but they are very cheap/disposable. Love that Silky!

chakaping
    Free Member

Back at Lidl yesterday to stock up on smoked trout and dog seatbelts – and found a 16-piece set of T-handled allen keys and torx keys in useful sizes.

£10 and made of proper CR-V again. Used them last night and they seem equivalent quality to lifeline/icetools etc.

🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Lidl allen key set’ is closed to new replies.