• This topic has 48 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • PSA – Lancaster Bomber tour
  • dannybgoode

Details here of the fly-past and airshow displays of the only 2 remaining lancs. One has been flown in from Canada for the occasion…

http://www.warplane.com/lancaster-2014-uk-tour.aspx

Harry_the_Spider

GET IN! There is an air show where I’m going on holiday and they’ll both be there!

The missus will be deeeeeelighted! 😀

northernmatt

Going to be in right on the week after the Eastbourne Air Show, then in France until the 30th so I won’t be able to go see them at Tees Valley Airport and everything else is miles away. Did get to see the BBMF one at the Sunderland Airshow this year so it’s not all bad.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Underhill
    Free Member

Awesome sauce. Both Lancs flying with the BBMF at our local show. Definite date made.

ratherbeintobago

Details here of the fly-past and airshow displays of the only 2 remaining flying lancs.

There are about 17 (if Wikipedia is to be believed), of which FM213 (Canadian B.X) and PA474 (BBMF B.I) are the only two airworthy. IIRC NX611 (B.VII) at East Kirby does ground runs.

None of which made it any less spectacular when PA474 roared over us last year at Hollingworth Lake, at about 500ft, flying back to RAF Coningsby from Southport.

fbk
    Free Member

Excellent – thanks for posting this. Time to plan my Autumn airshow trip 🙂

bikebob

Great post. Sun 7 in my diary. Cheers

Andy-W
    Free Member

any plans for a flypast down the derwent valley in the peaks

I guess 20th Sept could be done

andyfla
    Free Member

Apparently the Canadian one need a full nut and bolts rebuilt – something in the region of £10m – and they are over here raising money for it.

Rumour is the one in East Kirby maybe going in for the stuff that needs to get it airworth next year

And finally an Aussie (or maybe Yank) has just created molds to make the bodies for mosquitos, so we may see some of them soon (Glued layers of ply and balsa)

ratherbeintobago

And finally an Aussie (or maybe Yank)

Or even Kiwi.

Rumour is the one in East Kirby maybe going in for the stuff that needs to get it airworth next year

I though there was some damage to the main spar from its time as the Scampton gate guardian? Re-sparring a Lancaster has only been done once…

yossarian
    Free Member

Ha ha! They are flying over my house next weekend!!! We get spits, hurricanes and the other Lancaster come over every summer. Bloody awesome sight, and the sound…

andyfla
    Free Member

Or even Kiwi

Colonial …..

I thought there was some damage to the main spar from its time as the Scampton gate guardian? Re-sparring a Lancaster has only been done once…

Havent a clue TBH, just what i heard from a man in the know

eltonerino

Flying over mine today. Looking forward to the vulcan more though.

thorlz
    Free Member

One flew over work today, Stoke just down from Britannia stadium at about 12:30,circled around and went. Flying rather low as well, sounded superb.

We assumed it must be going to airshow, now it’s all clear

eltonerino

Big slow and, according to my daughter, Mr Greedy plane.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

How do you find out more about fly over times/flight paths?

Would love to see them go over Barnoldswick or Windermere.

chudsy
    Free Member

Apparently I just missed a Vulcan flying over Barnoldswick, would be interested in finding out fly over times for the Lancasters on the 6th so I don’t miss them as we’ll.

Defender
    Free Member

A week or so back when I was at home I heard a very unusual sound, not a single engined light aircraft, I rushed outside to see a Lancaster flying overhead, it was solo, not flanked by a Hurricane and Spitfire. Unfortunately it was for long enough to for me to identify which one it was?
    Awesome sight and sound that always stirs the emotions.

easygirl

Saw a Lancaster flying over rivington this afternoon, awesome

TheWrongTrousers

A week or so back when I was at home I heard a very unusual sound, not a single engined light aircraft, I rushed outside to see a Lancaster flying overhead, it was solo, not flanked by a Hurricane and Spitfire. Unfortunately it was for long enough to for me to identify which one it was?
    Awesome sight and sound that always stirs the emotions.

It would have been the BBMF ‘Thumper’, the Canadian Lanc only arrived in the country on Thursday I believe.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Aaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhh, was up there early this morning instead of my usual afternoon run so I could get back to do the gardens before we go away.

Typical luck.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

After reading my last post back to myself, I’d like to point out that I’m not 78.

Gary_C

It’s due to fly at the Blackpool airshow tomorrow & Monday along with a Hurricane & Spitfire.

trout
    Free Member

Yes awesome saw the Vulcan fly low and slow over silsden today

Tom83

Sweet, cheers op, taking my 4 year old lad to Eastbourne on Thursday for this. He’s almost as excited as I am!

CountZero

Hmm, the Henstridge, Somerset flypast on the 23rd is very do-able, Dawlish is really too far for a day drive; if I was staying with friends in South Hams, however, it could work, but I don’t think I’ll be down there then.
    Bugger.

JohnnyPanic

Saw the Lanc out of my window in SW Sheffield about half four, fiveish this afternoon. Awesome noise.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

The Lancaster flew low over Oulton Park this afternoon.Wasn’t expecting that at a BSB meeting!

maccruiskeen

One flew over work today, Stoke just down from Britannia stadium at about 12:30,circled around and went. Flying rather low as well, sounded superb.

We assumed it must be going to airshow, now it’s all clear

It was there for South Stoke Carnival in Fenton- gave us 3 flypasts, each one lower than the last

zilog6128

Awesome, they will be at an airshow only a few miles from me next Sunday. Will definitely be planning the weekend ride around that!

CountZero

Just did a search for Henstridge, and it’s a proper Wings and Wheels day, lots of vintage cars and aircraft:
    http://www.eventsthatwork.co.uk/shows/
    It’s only an hour’s drive south for me, 40 miles, so I’m definitely going down to that!
    It’ll be the BBMF with Vera, the Canadian Lanc, so really worth seeing.
    Only £5 to get in, too!
    Result! 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

Yesterday (saturday) my wife and i were enduro-pootling around Blackamoor (Sheffield).

pushing up a steep rocky hill, i heard *that* noise, shattering the silence, and looked up…

our very own personal Lancaster Fly-by! only about 300m* away – awesome!

(*estimated, obviously. But very low and very close)

iain1775
    Free Member

Passed directly over my house yesterday after flying over Donington for the classic motorbike festival

soops
    Free Member

A chap I work with has got a place as flight crew on the Canadian plane at the end of this month. Cost him a fortune and he can’t stop grinning! Lucky bugger getting to go up on one.

stu170
    Free Member

At some point all 3 will be in action together at east Kirkby, one doing its taxi runs as the 2 fliers do their thing

Tom83

Took my boy along to beachy head today to see the Lancasters. Absolutey amazing sight, proper hairs up on end moment. If you get the chance, you have to see them!

BristolPablo
    Free Member

for those on twitter @EGXCinfo and @RAFRed10 are worth following, the former is the unofficial Coningsby movements feed, where the BBMF and Lancs are based, the latter is Red Arrows Team Manager who are perfroming lots of displays with the two Lancs.

Harry_the_Spider

Tomorrow’s dispays cancelled due to high winds. Bugger.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

this thread has been pwned by a pair of bombers

MrSmith
    Free Member

Was down at my folks in Kent today and they flew over on their way to Headcorn airshow, looked awesome.
    A de havilland vampire passed by moments earlier (keen that before down here as I think it’s local along with a p38 lightning)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Lancaster Bomber tour’ is closed to new replies.