Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • PSA – Kindle users – free newspapers on your Kindle
  • dannybgoode

Seeing as there’s the odd Kindle related post kicking around I thought I’d share the following.

Whilst you can pay £9.99 a month for things like The Guardian from Amazon there is another way.

Download a piece of software called Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) – completely free and legal.

Once installed it will ask you to set up the software to be able to email documents to your Kindle (all the Amazon settings for this on under the ‘Manage Your Kindle’ bits and bobs on your Amazon account.

Then, using Calibre use the Fetch News button at the top and subscribe to The Guardian news feed (under English UK) and set it to schedule a daily download. This will download the latest Guardian news to Calibre. This is a completely free service offered by The Guardian and completely legit.

Then, when you’ve got today’s new on Calibre, right click on it and go to Connect/share and send it to your Kindle email address. When you next turn on your Kindle wireless hey presto – The Guardian on your Kindle for £0.00 p/m.

It works for the The Independent, Daily Mail, Sun and Metro also. As The Times and Telegraph are now paid site you need a subscription for these.

There’s plenty of other news feeds available on Calibre and you can work them the same. I go for Time magazine as well and Wired. Some of them do require a subscription but others don’t. Have a play and see what works.

Anyone get stuck trying this out – let me know I’ll try and help where possible.

As I say this is completely legit and basically is a fancy RSS news aggregator but works fantastically well to get the news you want on your Kindle without being stung for the subscription charges.

Cheers

Danny B

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s more stuff in the paid-for Guardian than on the website, but it’s a good tip for consuming the free stuff on a nice device – ta 🙂

jkomo

Can it work on an iPad?

avdave2

Thanks for that. I’ve been using Calibre for a year or so as it’s a great bit of software for managing books but I’d never really looked at the news feed options.

dannybgoode

It works with the Kindle app for iPad as long as you have a Kindle account set up – yes.

Cheers

Danny B

andrewy

Thanks Danny, I’ve just set this up and it worked a treat, very cool. I didn’t know about Calibre but it’s obviously a great bit of software that deserves exploring. 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Then, when you’ve got today’s new on Calibre, right click on it and go to Connect/share and send it to your Kindle email address. When you next turn on your Kindle wireless hey presto – The Guardian on your Kindle for £0.00 p/m.

Does this need doing every time you want to send news to the Kindle or is it a one-off thing?

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ll try this later, thanks for the post.

dannybgoode

@sharkbait – you can set Calibre to run the news capture on start up. So, yes you need to run Calibre each day but it then chugs along in the background, collates each newspaper and zaps it out to your Kindle.

Takes a while to do (20 mins or so depending on how many feeds you have)

Shows really nicely on the Kindle though – full linked index and everything for each paper / magazine.

Cheers

Danny B

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Kindle users – free newspapers on your Kindle’ is closed to new replies.