Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • PSA – ICE phone book entry
  • fotorat
    Free Member

An ICE (In Case of Emergency) phone book entry in your mobile phone is what Paramedics/Police and Firefighters (or more grimly CSI) will now look for first if they find you "otherwise unable to communicate".

So there you go, dont delay and add your ICE entry today.

PS dont bother adding 999 to you your ICE it needs to be family members who need to know you have been in an accident!

crikey
    Free Member

Has anyone told them that?

Think this crops up a fair bit, and is wildly over-rated as an importance thing.

It's nice to know who you are, but having a name and address is not really important when you are in a state that prevents you from telling anyone. It usually takes a number of hours to get hold of your medical records anyway, so it tends not to work as well as an SOS bracelet.

If you are concerned, have the relevant info somewhere on a piece of paper or laminated card.

finbar
    Free Member

I would assume most people will have dad / mum / sister / wifey in their phone book anyway.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I would assume that most people have their phones locked by a PIN or password these days, rendering the ICE useless.

Much better that you get something like this

http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

Don't worry about them being the the US, once ordered they usually arrive within a week!

firestarter
    Free Member

as a firefighter i can say that we dont touch peoples phones and the police that have attended incidents with us before wouldnt look for numbers incase it was stolen. dont know what its like in other counties tho

iggs
    Free Member

I guess in a lot of cases having an ICE number in your phone won't make much difference just once in a blue moon it might.

My take is that it wouldn't hurt and takes no time to do what so ever

by putting in an ICE number at least I'm giving the contact detail of the person I'd want contacting rather than the person with the name closest to mine, I wouldn't necessarily wnat my mum ringing for instance

would probably work on the smart phones to save any important info in the notes section of the contact details. With iPhones and blackberries being so popular there is bound to be people at the a&e who know their way around them

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I would assume that most people have their phones locked by a PIN or password these days

really ? My phone gets stolen so rarely I don't want this inconvenience

jimmy

what about if you were injured on the trail and passers by came to help. They might look for your phone as unlikely to be stolen in that scenario. Maybe.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My phone gets stolen so rarely I don't want this inconvenience

'Most people', not special people like you! 😉

crikey
    Free Member

With iPhones and blackberries being so popular there is bound to be people at the a&e who know their way around them

…and all the time in the world to be fannying about…not.

Plus your phone might not work, your battery might be dead, the phone might be broken, it might be someone elses…

No-one in a position of responsibility would rely on a phone to provide information like this, there are low tech alternatives if you are worried.

firestarter
    Free Member

i do have ice in my phone tho in case of trail accident

uplink
    Free Member

I would assume that most people have their phones locked by a PIN or password these days

PIN numbers piss me off so I don't bother, they make me use one at work so it's 0000

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

+1 for roadid. Had mine for about 2 years now. Never leave home without it on. Has D.O.B., important phone numbers and allergies on it.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I wear a flourescent jacket for commuting with an ICE card velcrod onto it – sill It sounds but you never know 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

i do have ice in my phone tho in case of trail accident

To put on a swollen ankle or something? 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

uplink i was once found knocked out at one of the 7 stanes once 😉 so could be handy

tortoisenothair
    Free Member

another one for "ROADID" got three for friends who done a euro bike ride.

then got one for myself very quick & friendly service.

dave360

roadid is a nice idea. my dog has something similar.

simon_g

Or just write emergency info on a bit of card and stuff it in your camelbak, which is just as (un)likely to be used by emergency services.

My work and personal phones are both PIN-protected and will wipe themselves if anyone gets the PIN wrong 5 times.

meehaja
    Free Member

I have ICE in my phone and also all my details are written inside my helmet. As for phones being checked by paramedics, We don't touch anything in pockets unless we can help it and don't remove anything without a witness. I have used phones and called "home" before, usually to explain to bemused parents that their offspring are blind drunk and trying to fight with an ambulance crew.

gtkid
    Free Member

I have a dog tag with key details on it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘PSA – ICE phone book entry’ is closed to new replies.