PSA…… I, Daniel Blake…. Last chance on iplayer

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • PSA…… I, Daniel Blake…. Last chance on iplayer
  • alpin

Runs out Monday.
    Watch it.

rene59

Great film, well worth a watch, should be compulsory viewing for policymakers.

Premier Icon dougal365
    Subscriber

Great film. Depressingly familiar narrative. I hear it every working day.

scruff9252

Watched the film earlier this week. It certainly hammers home the importance to have 6+ months of expenses squirreled away.

Looks like a grim experience having to rely on the state!

joshvegas

Christ no i barely have any tears left since the last time i watched it.

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

Thank you – always wanted to see this.

alpin

Christ no i barely have any tears left since the last time i watched it.

Yup… Bit of a tear jerker. The GF was in bits by the end.

kerley

should be compulsory viewing for policymakers.

Should be compulsory viewing for everyone in the UK, especially the Daily Mail “people on benefits have never had it so good” lot.

Premier Icon smogmonster
    Subscriber

Left wing Guardianista propaganda or worth watching?

rene59

It’s not middle class and it’s not propaganda. If you like good films then yes it’s well worth watching. If you don’t like good films then you’re a weirdo.

Never met a working class person yet that doesn’t know someone with 4 kids in a 5 bed detached house on benefits. 100 pound per week per child, flats screens in every room, new car, kids with the latest iphones earning more than they are.

Everyone knows one down the road like, brother in laws sister you know, it must be true!

Not to mention all the alchies/drug addicts, snowflakes and glass backs swinging the lead.

Cheers. Had no idea it was on there but have been wanting to see it.

Expires 11.25pm tomorrow. Get in from riding about 9. Should be time to watch it!

Link for the lazy: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08c2xlg/i-daniel-blake

Premier Icon csb
    Subscriber

Thanks for flagging this. Tragic how we’ve reached a place where objective professional medical opinion (signed off work) is able to be challenged by administrators.

Premier Icon duckman
    Subscriber

I show it to my Higher Modern Studies class, it shows the impact of social inequality far better than I can ever explain to them.

locum76

I chesetercopperpot – A Trollsome bore. When your shit hits the fan, and it will, I hope someone is there for you.

Philby

This is a real life example of the disasterous state our society’s treatment of the vulnerable, disabled and poor: Guardian article

rene59

This is a real life example of the disasterous state our society’s treatment of the vulnerable, disabled and poor

You know these people are not fit for work when they don’t kick the shit out of those making the decision. That is proof enough and grounds for reversal on it’s own.

@ locum76 – Your opinion matters to us. You are currently number 57 in the queue. Enjoy the soothing tones of Vivaldi while you have a little lie down.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Eat the rich.

Watched last night just before the cut-off. Didn’t make for a restful night’s sleep.

I don’t want to turn this into another Brexit thread, but it’s a good reminder of the distractions the Tories and right-wing media have made to prevent us noticing their ongoing vilification and exploitation of working people for the benefit of themselves and their rich friends.

Don’t see a knighthood for Ken Loach anytime soon.

alric

Im currently unemployed, will find work soon, but I get JSA £70odd and £70 towards my rent.Which in total covers my rent but no more, nothing for food etc.

Premier Icon cheers_drive
    Subscriber

If you’re not depressed enough after watching I Daniel Blake then Manchester By The Sea only has a few days left on iPlayer.

olddog

The delays, mis-assessments and excessively punitive sanctions in UC are indefensible. I have worked with policy makers in Whitehall and their disconnect from ordinary experience is huge and dangerous. Generally, they have no concept of having no money and having no personal savings, family friends etc to fall back on.

Not bad people but this is so far removed from their personal experiences that they cannot understand the impact of their policies. Mix in a Conservative Government hell bent on an austerity programme and Brexit to distract the discussion and it’s a social disaster in the making.

Don’t take my word for it …

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/16/key-points-un-envoy-philip-alston-report-poverty-britain-uk

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.