Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)
  • PSA – How Clubbing Changed the World
  • yunki
    Free Member

top spot..

fair enough.. 😀 😆

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Christ, look at the state of Mr C

spacemonkey

I’m off to listen to this:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb_RW1YqK60[/video]

Easily one of the best (commercial or otherwise) mixes ever. Sends me into space every time 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

Every time I flick back on, it’s either bloody Guetta or that cockweasel, Skillrex.

I’m off to listen to this:

I’m off to bed. Nearly midnight and I’m old.

Brycey
    Free Member

Too right spacemonkey

heckler73
    Free Member

hittin the sack to charge the batteries, goin out tomo eve after watching that…………..

boxfish
    Free Member

Ah, the heady days of the early 90s. Dancing in a field before a misty sunrise.

samcamsdad

Will.I.am. ****.right.off.
    Apart from that, not a bad program!

mboy
    Free Member

Oh dear god. I’ve got work at 9am in the morning, and I’m sat watching the start of this 6hr music marathon!

REALLY REALLY worried I won’t go to bed! 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

Grandmaster Flash?

Bugger.

*opens beer*

samcamsdad

Aye, should be in bed, but grandmaster flash just came on. Just one more stella, then bed!

mboy
    Free Member

So mboy, you don’t think there was cheesy mainstream clubs playing commercial music in the 90s too?

Course there were mate

I was there too!

There was LOTS more underground clubs than there are now though, by some margin!

I can vouch for the fact I’m a fairly rare breed, as I was a clubber back in the mid/late 90’s and I’m still one now… There’s not many of us in that category!

Brycey
    Free Member

That man is a legend. Glasgow QMU about 10 years ago, one of my best nights I reckon.

yunki
    Free Member

Grandmaster Flash?

Bugger.

*opens beer*

+1

ooOOoo
    Free Member

+2

Brycey
    Free Member

🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Brycey, did he use the line “this is history right here!!!”….did in london 😀

ooOOoo
    Free Member

check out his watch!!!

Brycey
    Free Member

Think he may well have!

Christ, I’ve got a lot to do tomorrow.

spacemonkey

I remember nicking some of those industrial masks (from where I was working) back in the mid 90s. Jollied up with some glo-sticks we thought we were mustard.

Jamie
    Free Member

check out his watch!!!

/want

God…I gots to go bed. Reckon I will download the whole shebang tomorrow and just rip the audio. 6hr mix for the iPod 8)

yunki
    Free Member

good to see him loving the house vibe – he IS the Grand Master 😀

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Enjoyed the programme and now enjoying the house party…however it would be so much better if there was a crowd rather than an empty studio!

Merak

Would like to see Eric Morillo, and Annie Mac but I’m fading fast.

mboy
    Free Member

God…I gots to go bed. Reckon I will download the whole shebang tomorrow and just rip the audio. 6hr mix for the iPod

If you can host it anywhere, or even just fileshare it, you’d be a mate for life!!! 😀

check out his watch!!!

A Technics SL1210… Quality!

Not digging him playing Avicii’s Levels though…

Otherwise, very good so far!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

true, he keeps wanting to see those hands in the air…..at least get some webcams going 😀

jamesey
    Free Member

grand master smahing the audio bullies. rip those doors off

yunki
    Free Member

If you can host it anywhere, or even just fileshare it, you’d be a mate for life!!!

oooh yes please

muckytee
    Free Member

David Guetta-esque crap that have the queues outside… But it’s cheap drinks that draw the crowds in, and orange girls in high heels, not top name DJ’s!

Nail on head.

My reaction upon entering a club is eurgh not that shit again, when it should be: Wow that sounds amazing, I’ve never heard something so amazing before…

There are a few house artists about, but the best music is in the past… My generation seldom get anything original, underground or revolutionary. Dubstep… crap just crap, can’t even dance to it.

With no E, clubs are just like pubs with music.

Cheers your STW resident 18yo

Brycey
    Free Member

I’m going to have to sack this or I’ll be here until dawn.

yunki
    Free Member

Grandmaster Flash –

same as it ever was

word

acidchunks

Not feeling most of Flash’s track selection…its all really obvious or crap commercial tripe.

Missus just popped her head into the man cave….

“We could be raving in the living room, what are you doing?”

“Bitching about it on the internet”

“Fair enough”

In other news my cat is chomping his way through several florets of broccoli.

yunki
    Free Member

its all really obvious or crap commercial tripe.

executed with no **** small degree of pinache though .. a rare **** commodity in this day and age..

especially on the telly box

timc
    Free Member

good program, worth a watch i thought! makes you miss the good old days of clubbing, their are underground scenes still going but their not as big & widespread as they were, as odd as that sounds.

Interestingly a club in Liverpool that ran at the same time as cram through the 90’s called club 051 has had x2 reunion parties this year in its old venue, both selling out & getting 2000+ clubbers in, I went to the first one, ame faces but all 30-40 now, same tunes, very odd but bring the great memories flooding back!

mboy
    Free Member

There are a few house artists about, but the best music is in the past… My generation seldom get anything original, underground or revolutionary. Dubstep… crap just crap, can’t even dance to it.

You’re just being defeatist now mate… Just cos the best music isn’t in the same clubs as it used to be, and it’s harder to find, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

The Dubstep you’re being exposed to isn’t proper Dubstep as it would be known. It’s essentially the pop-ified version required to shift lots of units, same as the “House” music you hear in most clubs these days is just David Guetta making the same olf formulaic tripe. There’s plenty of quality music out there though, you just gotta search a bit harder than you used to have to.

Good music never dies, it just evloves and changes and finds new genres and sounds.

With no E, clubs are just like pubs with music.

WAY too much emphasis put on E by WAY too many people IMO. Yes, lots of people are/were taking it, but you’d also be surprised just how many people weren’t. Most of the enduring names of the genres weren’t taking drugs (some were of course, but most of them burnt out), and the drugs usually resulted in what I’d determine as “short term crowds”. That is to say those that came, tried it, liked it for 2/3/4 years, then outgrew it and the scene and don’t bother any more, cos for them going clubbing was about the drugs and not the music.

Then there’s me, and a select few, I don’t even drink much less take any drugs. Been clubbing now for the best part of 2 decades, and long may I continue to do so I hope! The difference is that for me, it’s all about the music and getting lost in that, not drugs/drink/pretty girls etc.

yunki
    Free Member

mboy speaks wisdom

Merak

Biggie Smalls isnt your usual commercial tripe. Fair play tho’ he’s a bit vocal but he crams them in.

mboy
    Free Member

Missus just popped her head into the man cave….

“We could be raving in the living room, what are you doing?”

You are a VERY lucky man, hope you know that!

Now get in the living room and show her a good time, stop bitching on the internet! 😉

Interestingly a club in Liverpool that ran at the same time as cram through the 90’s called club 051 has had x2 reunion parties this year in its old venue, both selling out & getting 2000+ clubbers in, I went to the first one, ame faces but all 30-40 now, same tunes, very odd but bring the great memories flooding back!

There’s a night doing that locally down here now. Monthly get togethers for what was a regular night back in the mid 90’s, just before my time. It’s funny cos I’ve been to the last 2, mostly music from when I was just getting into DJing in about 98-00, mostly quality stuff, even a couple of big names have played from back in the day (John Kelly, Jon of the Pleased Wimmin) have played. But like you say, it’s full of crusty old gurners! Some people that took waaaaaaaaay too many drugs in their youth, coming out for a reminisce and not many new faces. Enjoyable for sure, not pushing any boundaries though. Still, it’s nice to feel young on a night out which doesn’t really happen any more! 😉

yunki
    Free Member

Fair play tho’ he’s a bit vocal but he crams them in.

I’m proper buzzing just watching that heavy OG just LOVING his job.. 😀

timc
    Free Member

lets clarify something here mboy, no dubstep shifts lots of units, its really doesnt sell well (in the UK)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘PSA – How Clubbing Changed the World’ is closed to new replies.