Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • PSA Horror fans rare and brilliant – Film4 12:15 tonight
  • kimbers

The keep

michael mans flawed and underrated classic
    gabriel byrne, ian mackellan, jurgen prochnow

and nazis getting their just desserts, its a bit of a mess the Tangerine Dream soundtrack adds to a mesmerising film

id love to see a proper directors cut, sadly you cant even buy it on DVD, ill be recording this to replace my ex-rental vhs copy!

deluded
    Free Member

kimbers,

Good shout. Excellent film.

I’ve noticed you’ve got impeccable taste in books and films. I sense you’re a bit of a scifi / fantasy geek like me. 😀

Read the book by F. Paul Wilson – really good. It’s a film that screams for a remake.

Kevevs
    Free Member

good call. thanks. big fan of his films, not seen this one

nickdavies

Apparently its on Netflix for streaming for those in bed by midnight!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Will give this a record.

bigbloke
    Free Member

at work but record set now , good shout.

Nobby

Good call, Sky+ set.

kimbers

starting now!

dobo
    Free Member

Any zombies?

boxfish
    Free Member

My 3 year old daughter will wake me up by 7am. Is The Keep worth waiting up until 3.15am to watch?

user-removed
    Free Member

No. But my opinion of the film (and I do love horror) has likely been coloured by trying to calm a newborn baby throughout.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Kimbers – ta for the heads up – just watched this – good story line (although tempeted to read the book) & plenty of tension – but could of done with a few more $ spent on it – loving the 80’s special effects – but is it not just a scary version of The Mummy #I’mnotbarrynorman

GregMay
    Free Member

Book first or film?

deluded
    Free Member

Book then film. Man’s film is very much an abridged version.

dallas95
    Free Member

nickdavies – Member
    Apparently its on Netflix for streaming for those in bed by midnight!

I can’t find it on Netflix. Are you in USA?

allthepies
    Free Member

Just watched it.

Errrrrr……..

(it’s pretty poor)

codybrennan
    Free Member

I seem to remember reading a graphic novel a while back with what sounds like exactly this plot.

Fairly sure it was also called “The Keep”.

Same thing?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Yes.

GregMay
    Free Member

Cool, book on the Kindle spent most of the morning reading it! Very good so far.

sparkyrhino

not seen it for years,will stay up and watch,long weekend Wahoooo

samuri
    Free Member

Just bought the kindle version of the book.

I’ll not bother with the hardback version just yet.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0688006264/sr=1-1/qid=1354452839/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1354452839&seller=&sr=1-1

nbt

missed it. might keep an eye out for repeat showings

GregMay
    Free Member

Mainlined the book over the weekend in one sitting (multiple coffee trips). Very good, quite enjoyed it. Now to find the film!

GregMay
    Free Member

In short…I found the film very hard to watch due to the over use of 80’s slowmo. Frustratingly so.

weeksy

I got about 30 mins in and pressed the delete button… it was rubbish.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I watched it yesterday after recording it, its deleted now thankfully. Tedious tedious film.

grievoustim
    Free Member

It is a tad odd and nonsensical

I watched it from a film geek POV cos it’s directed by Michael Mann

Apparantly it was filmed in a disused quarry (village and exterior of the keep) and disused mine (inside the keep) near betws y coed

rocketman
    Free Member

I watched it yesterday after recording it, its deleted now thankfully. Tedious tedious film.

+1 what a load of shite

Talk about cliched 80s tosh the heroine looked like something out of the Bangles and the ‘malevolent presence’ was about as threatening as a Space Hopper. Combine this with lots of slo-mo and dry ice it was like a one hour 30 min Ultravox video

Utter crap imho

kimbers

ill admit that its a bit of a mess, but not tedious!

a proper remastered directors cut would be nice

packer
    Free Member

Apparently the film was originally planned by Mann to be over 3 hours long, but the studio released their own 2 hour hatchet job which pretty much makes no sense at all.
    There has been talk of a directors cut for a long time but it has not happened yet… fingers crossed it will as it would be a great film if it made sense!

rocketman
    Free Member

I would imagine the producers would’ve committed suicide if they’d had to sit through 3 hours of Tangerine Dream

bigbloke
    Free Member

“sadly you cant even buy it on DVD”…………..because its tedious 😆

deluded
    Free Member

Enthusiasm reignited I purchased the graphic novel. The foreward by F. P Wilson makes interesting reading. He hated the film and said that it resembled his novel in name only. The film “ripped out the heart” of his writing and displayed a “hollow carcass”.

You won’t see the DVD because Mann is holding it up – he thinks it’s a load of sh1te as well.

So, as I said – it would benefit from a remake! The original is for fans only.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘PSA Horror fans rare and brilliant – Film4 12:15 tonight’ is closed to new replies.