Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • PSA Home contents cover including bikes
  • neilthewheel

We have contents cover with Aviva. This year they are covering our bikes, up to a value of £2500 on any one bike, for an additional £22. Our total contents premium comes to £144. Not bad!

njee20
    Free Member

Doesn’t include any cover away from home though, or is that what’s cost you £22?

neilthewheel

Oh yes.

TrevorB

Do you know if they offer cover for over £2500, or is that their limit?

neilthewheel

I think that’s it.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Anyone got any good recommendations for the £2.5k+ mark – I have a massive need for decent bikes cover. Any suggestions welcome!

brakes
    Free Member

interesting. the AA have just put up my premium for the second year by 30%… need a counter offer to bargain with.

Kryton57

Wow, I got new insurance with the AA for 3 specified bikes, total 8k global cover for £46pa extra on my contents premium.

Only specific condition is the must have been evidenced to be “locked” to something. Thule roof racks were fine, inside car isnt.

brakes
    Free Member

my renewal was £320 compared to £250 last year. it’s standard industry practice to get you in at 30% less than the standard price.

ThePinkster

Only specific condition is the must have been evidenced to be “locked” to something. Thule roof racks were fine, inside car isnt.

That sounds strange to me. not covered for being in a secure locked metal box but covered when outside locked to the roof?

Weird. 😕

franksinatra

That sounds strange to me. not covered for being in a secure locked metal box but covered when outside locked to the roof?
    Weird.

Pretty much standard. When it is inside your car they will argue that it is then covered by your motor policy. Don’t take any comfort form this though as it is unlikely your motor policy will cover anything over £100.

vinnyeh

When I looked at this the bikes were only covered up to 1k on the car, I thought?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve just insured with nfu mutual. They cover very expensive bikes away from home.

TrevorB

I’m getting a quote from the NFU, they have gone back to the underwriter with my bike’s details to see what the price will be.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Nice, could you update, Trevor? I’ll probably give them a shot as well if there’s a chance they’ll be amenable!

Onzadog
    Free Member

NFU quoted Mr twice. First off was the standard policy with an upcharge for the bikes.

Then they came back to me and suggested I have the rich persons policy (im not BTW) but it covered most of the bikes as standard. Only needed to upgrade cover on one.

NB, it’s not called the rich persons policy, I just can’t remember the name.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Sounds promising, I will investigate.

vinnyeh

Still worth looking at m&s too – just renewed, and had to add one bike as a specified item- £80 on top of the contents premium for 5.4k value (full retail of parts).
    Forced me to look at the replacement cost as well- previously I’d vallued it at the price it had cost to build, which was well under 4k.

dashed
    Free Member

Just been right through this and went back to M&S. Was the best value (still ouchy!!) that covered bikes over £4k AND is true new for old. Most of the other ones I looked at reduced payout on bikes the older they got.

Onzadog
    Free Member

M&S were within £20 of nfu. It was a close call.

DT78
    Free Member

Couple of months till my renewal, watching these threads with interest

shindiggy
    Free Member

adds £100 on to my quote for adding a bicycle.

whyter

Well worth finding out what all the conditions are before taking up insurance. A lot of companies I called up required bikes to be locked to anchor points even in your locked garage. I ended up going with Hiscox for a second year, but it wasn’t cheap.

Gee76
    Free Member

I got the impression its a £2500 limit away from home and open ended in the home with Aviva. Anyone else?

njee20
    Free Member

I got the impression its a £2500 limit away from home and open ended in the home with Aviva. Anyone else?

No, it seems pretty explicit to me. £2500 cover at home, when locked to an immovable object and not covered away from home unless separately covered?

cozz
    Free Member

got mine covered with sheilas wheels – specify them if over a certain amount

think it was £120 a year – but for around £12,000 of bikes, covered anywhere on property, and away from home too

bland

Halifax have gone and changed their policy meaning I’m either stuck with an old policy I can update and pay hefty amounts for, or go to their new policy which has a cap of 2.5k but no cover away from home. This was nearly 1/3 of the price though!

They are obviously starting to get hit from bike thefts

mrelectric

Sometimes they get you back on the excess. Mine went up to £250 after one theft claim .

AA put my renewal quote up by a large amount but they called me after an email & we soon got a much better price

cinnamon_girl

Just been right through this and went back to M&S. Was the best value (still ouchy!!) that covered bikes over £4k AND is true new for old. Most of the other ones I looked at reduced payout on bikes the older they got.

^ This is spot on and M & S cover this, imo.

Try asking how companies work out a payout especially if bike has upgrades and is non-standard. Depreciation percentage?

gonzy
    Free Member

Oh yes.

isnt that Churchill? 😉

Halifax have gone and changed their policy meaning I’m either stuck with an old policy I can update and pay hefty amounts for, or go to their new policy which has a cap of 2.5k but no cover away from home. This was nearly 1/3 of the price though!

They are obviously starting to get hit from bike thefts

that’s probably down to me making a big claim 2 months ago!!

TrevorB

Update, NFU have agreed to cover all the bikes (and the house & contents). No special clauses for security at home but there is a value related excess if they get nicked when away from the home.
    Overall saving from my current Insurer (Barclays) and better cover, double win.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘PSA Home contents cover including bikes’ is closed to new replies.