Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • PSA: Hitachi action camera (Go Pro ish) for £60 from Argos
  • crosshair
    Free Member

Mintman- just watched it in YouTube proper and that’s actually pretty good 🙂

Mintman
    Free Member

Well guess what Santa’s brought me! Slightly concerned the box says it requires Windows though. I’m hoping it refers to the editing software, rather than the video format and I will be ok with OS X.

It’s only the video editing software (which isn’t great) so I wouldn’t worry about it!

rickt
    Free Member

regarding the price..

its been at this price since launch on amazon just invade people are basing their purchase on the rrp.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BCX8Z2E/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1387974832&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

cookeaa

The missus has dropped a bit of a bollock this year, accusing me of not getting her anything good for Christmas, I’ve actually gone and impressed her for the second year in a row. So I’ve quietly broached the idea of me spending a wee bit on myself.

Was considering the Hitachi can but then I’ve found some reconditioned Drift cameras for what seems like a competitive price. Not too sure but the “HD170 Stealth” might edge it over the plain old “HD170” both will do 1080 but the stealth will do 60fps in 720 mode where the HD170 is apparently fixed on 30fps at all resolutions. Bother quite old models now but probably more than adequate. Some good accessories available and both models come with a remote…

Anyone know much about either one vs the “cheap” Hitachi?

carlosg
    Free Member

Looked at these and the drift cameras and in the end I’ve bitten the bullet and gone for a gopro I hope I don’t regret spending the extra £ as I usually spend my spare pennies on the kids and do without stuff for myself.

cookeaa

Same here but I’ve Gone and ordered this now.

At £80 I’ll be interested to see how it compares to the £60 Hitachi that started this thread.

The obvious first issue being chest mounting a drift, you just can’t, but there do appear to be shoulder mount options, and I very much doubt it stacks up amazingly against a go-pro. Like I said its a couple of years “out of date” now but still seems like a reasonable deal.

rockhopper70

Just a heads up that this is now £49.99.
    I had a look at one at the weekend and it appears reasonably well built but I’m concerned that the mounts aren’t compatible with go pro style fittings. But for £50, I might be tempted and risk fudging something together.

wiggles
    Free Member

If your after something even cheaper there are these for £30, the YouTube clips seem decent… I’m tempted even if it just becomes a poolside holiday camera

rockhopper70

Good spot wiggles…looks reasonable and standard tripod mount helps.

wiggles
    Free Member

They sell chest mounts and stuff as well

wiggles
    Free Member

Ordered one, with the chest mount, the camera comes with the helmet mount. Was £55 (inc delivery so less in store)

Worth giving it a shot for that price. My riding isn’t really worth filming so not worth more than that!

wiggles
    Free Member

My £30 cam turned up yesterday. Seems decent is very small will have to test it out when I get a chance at the weekend hopefully

lizzie8
    Free Member

Hi, Can anyone help? We have purchased this camera to take skiing – we have tested it and found that we cannot load videos directly onto our iPad using the Apple SD card reader adapter. Has anyone been able to do this? Photos work OK and videos recorded on my Panasonic camera using the same SD card upload to the iPad. The video format is H.264(avi) which should be compatible with an iPad. thanks

crosshair
    Free Member

I’ve got a funny feeling I’m going to get one of these for my birthday next week and I might be allowed it early for Brass Monkeys ;D

Does anyone know how well the chest mount works and if there are any handy hints for setting it up accurately??

rockhopper70

I bit the bullet and collected mine from store on Sunday. The chest mount appears reasonably well built but the attachment point is unique to the camera, not go pro style. The chest mount holds the camera flat to the chest so when riding, I expect the will be a lot of ground and top tube. I’m looking into sourcing a plastic wedge or similar to pack the lower edge out. I have also ordered a go-pro compatible tripod adaptor as I also have a veho chest mount which uses the go pro 2prong 3prong interface. Chap on you tube suggests the hitachi camera mounts can be modded with the gopro tripod kit so I’ll see how that goes when it turns up.

crosshair
    Free Member

Thanks. I might stick with the bar-mount for now until I’ve got more time to mess about with it.

murf
    Free Member

The handlebar mount rotates through 360 degrees. Would it be worth using the handlebar mount to mount it to the seatpost and rotate the camera round till it’s level and film pointing forwards towards the stem?
    Haven’t had a spare moment to try fitting mine but the test footage seems ok quality.

rockhopper70

My go pro tripod adaptor arrived today. It’s going to need a bit of calafudging but might work. I’m not convinced about the seat post mount, with the wide ish angle lens there could be way too much leg/shorts footage.

rockhopper70

First test this weekend..
    Bit of a sample posted on YouTube..

Search for…”slow motion flo”

Very impressed for £49.99.

rockhopper70

First bike film with the bodged chest mount.

Happy.

Swayndo
    Free Member

How did you bodge the chest mount?

Deveron53
    Free Member

That footage looks ok. Not as jerky as some GoPro footage, has the Hitachi got stabilisation?

rockhopper70

Swayndo…I had an old veho chest mount as a starting point. Clipped to this was a standard tripod mount with the three finger fitting. I cut one finger off a gopro tripo adaptor and slipped them together so that provides the angle adjustment. It was just a case the of parting the handlebar mount and using a tripod screw, bolting the gopro tripod mount to the 3prong clip of the handlebar mount part.
    I’ll try and post a picture as that description makes nonsense!
    The result is a little cumbersome and stands proud of the chest a little far. I’m going to have a go at packing out the supplied chest mount with a 45deg wedge of printer packing foam which is light but not very compressable. I’ll post the results of that.

With regard to stabilisation, I don’t know if the camera has it as standard but that footage was at 60fps. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality and lack of bounce on the footage. Stills are really good too.

Definitely a bit of a bargain….

bomberman
    Free Member

There is a video of a guy on Youtube explaining how to modify a gopro 3 prong to make this adaptor but i’ve lost it and can’t find it again. Dying to try mine out as it’s been sat in the box unused for months now which is annoying!

bomberman
    Free Member

Oh here’s another. I should be working but this is more fun.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgBeCp6Tmg4[/video]

rockhopper70

That video is what I did. I had to make a collar between the tripod mount and the split bike mount tho as the boss sticks out and prevents a decent face to face interface!

Swayndo
    Free Member

Used mine on Saturday with the supplied helmet mount ziptied onto my helmet and it worked really well. The roughest parts of the trail weren’t as great as my helmet was a bit slack and the cam was bouncing around a bit, but I’m really impressed overall. I even managed to **** it off many branches without it coming off or moving.

I suspect I’ll be able to tie the mount plate from the bar mount onto the helmet or onto a plate on the helmet for a more robust helmet mount. Also the chest strap should require minor bodging to be suitable. What a great wee toy 🙂

murf
    Free Member

I used mine ziptied direct to the top of my helmet, not in the case.
    Worked well and is much lighter to the point of being un noticeable. Had to be dry obviously!

rockhopper70

If anyone is thinking of modding a mount for themselves, the fitting is a standard fitting, albeit not a common one.

Search for “ultimate addons three prong” and there are quite a few variations which should fit in the back or base.

Here’s a starting link…

http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/Attachments

The tripod mount looks like it could be fudged to a chest mount system.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Hitachi action camera (Go Pro ish) for £60 from Argos’ is closed to new replies.