Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • PSA – Half price single malt
  • theteaboy
    Free Member

Tobermory 10 year old reduced from £42 to £21 in Booths.

Hadn’t tried it before but got some yesterday and found it alarmingly drinkable.

globalti
    Free Member

Ah, Booths! The best small supermarket chain in Britain, possibly in the world. Pity the poor folk who don’t live in the North West.

I’m just working my way through an 8-bottle pack of Jennings bitter that they sold me for £8.00 and their cheeses are extraordinarily good.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sounds like a good excuse to spend a weekend in Keswick or Windermere 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pity the poor folk who don’t live in the North West.

There’s a Booths in Ripon. which isn’t North West. 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like a good excuse to spend a weekend in Keswick or Windermere

Or Chorley…

MoreCashThanDash

There is never a good reason to spend a weekend in Chorley…

Cougar

Clitheroe then.

Tobermory is an inoffensive little gateway malt; worth a punt at £20, but there are immeasurably better ways of spending £40.

ThePinkster

They’re as far south as Knutsford these days!

richmtb

£21 is about right for Tobermory anyway. You’d have to be mad to spend £42 on it.

Not one of my favourites, inoffensive, reasonably smooth with a big hint of vanilla, but not a classic (even among similarly priced malts)

traildog
    Free Member

There is never a good reason to spend a weekend in Chorley…[\quote]

Except great trails and Booths – What else do you want? Good transport links? Got that too. 🙂

Chorley was actually the location of Booths second ever store (although not the new modern building).

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I think I saw Auchentoshan in Asda for £23 (Sunday AM before the booze section opened so not allowed up that aisle). better value IMO.

gatsby
    Free Member

I was born in Chorley, so technically, I’ve never been, but I have left.

Booths sent 10’s of thousands of fancy Christmas books out recently, must have cost £millions. But judging by the prices of their Christmas foods, they’re hoping to recoup that cost quite quickly!

G

tragically1969
    Free Member

I bought a bottle, dint’t like it so gave away, no body too it at all, sticking with Highland Park and Auchentoshan from now on…..

globalti
    Free Member

Manchesterites will be interested to know that there is now a magnificent Booths at Media City, right on the end of the tramline.

john_drummer
    Free Member

there’s a Booths in Ilkley for LeedsBradford-ites

They have an astounding real ale section too

ourmaninthenorth

By my reckoning, I ought to be able to drive to the new Booths in Burscough (when it opens) in under 10 minutes.

All the advantages of Booths, none of the disadvantages of Burscough.

Clobber
    Free Member

sticking with Highland Park

WTF!!!?? 😯 😯

tragically1969
    Free Member

WTF!!!??

Problem ?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Other than Highland Park tasting like dehydrated piss no, fill your boots.

Kryton57

Please kindly **** off. I haven’t put down the Gin since that thread, I don’t need an intro to single malt…

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

As above, Tobermory is distinctly average and never worth £42. Recent bottlings of Highland Park have been quite disappointing.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Other than Highland Park tasting like dehydrated piss no, fill your boots

we have an expert in our midst…what are you drinking fella…i fancy a bottle of the good stuff. 🙂

Cougar

Highland Park is singularly remarkable in that they can consistently reproduce such a quality spirit in such high volume. If you think it tastes like piss, you’re either a snob or ignorant.

nick1962
    Free Member

Booths wanted to open in Hebden but the locals said NO.
    I’m slowly working my way through my deceased stepdad’s malt collection,nice.

Scapegoat

It would appear that “dehydrated piss” is my favourite tipple too. DO share your wisdom Oh Wise Wan.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I once bought a bottle of auchentoshan once…..does yours taste burnt too….

Asa consequence i still have most of a bottle of auchentoshan.

Mean while im workingnmy way though an edradour port cask finished 12 yo. That cost 28 quid. Its nice.

righog
    Free Member

Ha, I read Trail rats post as Pork cask….Mmmmmm Bacon Malt.

cupra
    Free Member

I would echo the negative Highland Park comments. I just don’t like the stuff. I am however partial to a Glenlivet 🙂

portlyone

Manchesterites will be interested to know that there is now a magnificent Booths at Media City

And soon to be one in Chorlton if rumour is to be believed! 😮

richmtb

Nowt wrong with Highland Park, a fine malt. A nice introduction to the smokier side of whisky without the full hit of the Islay malts.

Glengoyne is a nice dram too, but personally I find it a bit feminine after developing a taste for the more robust malts. A dessert whisky if you like.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’m firmly in the highland park hater category, no snobbiness. I was given a bottle, had no idea of what it was so no pre-conceptions. Found it not very nice… along the lines of bells/teachers.

Now, 18 year old glenlivet on the other hand….

poolman
    Free Member

I just bought the auchtentoshan from Asda at 23 gbp & love it. Thanks for the tip – I can see the not likers though as the taste is quite strong. Thanks for the tip, may try some of the others listed above now.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well I like Tobermory but didn’t realise RRP is so high. Whisky pricing seems quite erratic to me, I only buy when reduced anyway. Any snobs want to have a go at my favourite – Laphroaig?

Cougar

Any snobs want to have a go at my favourite – Laphroaig?

Sure. I bet you’d prefer Ardbeg.

Clobber
    Free Member

Have you ever tried the “cask strength” Laphroaig, that is really very nice, the TCP smell with normal Laphroaig puts me off a bit although I like the taste.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I am however partial to a Glenlivet

Some Tescos – £25. Been going a couple of weeks so maybe not much left.
    Given a £30 voucher and just treated myself to a Mortlach 15 yo, very nice.

mudshark
    Free Member

I bet you’d prefer Ardbeg

Well I have that too.

CountZero

Laproaig, Glenmorangie, Caol Isla, (still have some left of a 1991 signature cask strength), and I have a bottle of Yamazaki, which I have it on very good authority is a very fine whisky indeed.
    And I’m quite partial to Highland Park, too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Half price single malt’ is closed to new replies.