• This topic has 71 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • PSA Guy Martin on C4 now
  • davosaurusrex

Poss bindun but tractor speed record attempt stuff

bikebouy
    Free Member

Propertea.

Drac

But the Jungle is on.

Riksbar

I see Orange & Hope have got nearly as much product placement as JCB!

pondo

Same old same old.

nickc

I couldn’t help noticing the fact that with all that support and high tech stuff on his tractor, a Daughter and Pop barn outfit in the US managed to give them a decent run for their money

Harry_the_Spider

yeah, but it looked like ****.

I assume that JCB will be using theirs for marketting and it looked fantastic.

chrismac

I hate to think how much they spent over the year on the project.

There is plenty of scope to go much faster if they lowered the whole thing especially the cab

fettlin

The daughter and pop barn build looked suspiciously like a tractor pull ‘tractor’ so about as agricultural as the top gear effort.

As much as I like Guy and watch his shows, it is same old same old as above.

Take something that isn’t fast, rebuild the engine (spanners!) modify the aero (simulations!) test something non related for show (monster trucks?!) then adverts before we see 15mins of the actual challenge (with added adverts for jeopardy!).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Did he have any input of the design or any of the mechanical bits? Didn’t look like it to me… looked like a “hired” driver.

And.. I don’t actually see the point of the project.

Meh thats it’s all about engineering, I think JCB could have saved the money and put it into an BEV version then tried for a speed record, or added GPS and made it fully automated and then tried for a speed record.

After all… it’s all a bit old tech now innit.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Exactly. Tractors aren’t meant to go fast – their job does not require speed as such. If you want to go faster get in a car.
    It’s like producing a program where they try to make a car/truck/whatever pull a plough/7 ton trailer/etc…… pointless.
    Just a marketing exercise.

I like GM but it’s all too predicatable now.

Pauly

Boring, repetitive, nothing new, rehashed old crap.

What is the point Guy? Get some better advice regarding your future media career.

Paul-B

Not watched yet but I will do as some of my old work colleagues I think make an appearance and I did a bit of work on that cab for the production tractor.
    The whole thing is right up JCB’s street from a Marketing perspective. They’ll be milking it for all it’s worth which is no bad thing (ever seen the JCB GT drag racing Back Hoe?).
    I do wonder how many more things TV producers can get Guy Martin strapped into to make ‘go faster’ though

mrsheen
    Free Member

I thought the project manager displayed a great approach to testing by saying they were just going to floor it beyond what the engine had been tested for. Hope he gets a job at Airbus.

DezB
    Free Member

it is same old same old as above.

Isn’t that how these blokey TV shows work? Find a formula > change hardware > repeat?
    At least it’s not on every bleedin week eh?!

nealglover
    Free Member

Did he have any input of the design or any of the mechanical bits? Didn’t look like it to me… looked like a “hired” driver.

Marketing isn’t it. JCB have been doing this stuff for decades with Digger display teams and worlds faster Digger etc.
    Just happens to suit Guy Martins “skill set” to get it televised for them.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I thought the project manager displayed a great approach to testing by saying they were just going to floor it beyond what the engine had been tested for. Hope he gets a job at Airbus

It was a world record attempt not a test so why not push it, things would be boring if everybody took the safe option all the time!

The Airbus comment is a bit stupid too, it’s on the ground so if the engine does let go it’s not the end of the world. Engines blow up all the time, just find out why and rebuild it and have another go.

binners

Jesus, you’re a bloody miserable bunch.

The whole point is ‘lets do something really stupid!’

‘Why?’

‘Because we can!’

And the world can only be a better place for that attitude.

The thing is that from channel 4’s and JCB’s point of view this kind of thing crosses over so its no longer the exclusive domain of whiney, male, middle-class, middle-aged cockbags 😉

Oh… and Mrs Binners – who thoroughly enjoys watching any Guy Martin stuff (see about the crossover thing – has stated he’ll be doing the worlds fastest bin lorry next as he dresses like a binman

simondbarnes

I enjoyed it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think next weeks program with him exploring Japan might be slightly better.

The undeniable character trait he has is, well he’s always smiling pretty much all of the time.

Biking around Japan should be good yea?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Marketing isn’t it. JCB have been doing this stuff for decades with Digger display teams and worlds faster Digger etc.

Haven’t they just.
    I’ve seen the dancing diggers at an ARB show about 9yrs a go… They were very good at showing the agility of the vehicles they are selling. So yes, that point is valid.

Wazzing flat out in a 5ton 1000hp track’ter is dull.

BEV it, stick Autonomous capability on it, come back and then show the vehicles agility and maybe then wazzzz down an airplane landing strip from WW2 in it… innit.

I mean, those combines in Interstellar were gps controlled with Nuclear power packs on them… so it can be done 🤪🤹‍♂️

danposs86

I enjoyed it.

Bet those that didn’t rate it would have preferred an extra series of Love Island.

Harry_the_Spider

worlds fastest bin lorry

You should pitch that to his production company.

bigdean

I seem to enjoy the “travel” shows when he experiences different culture, e.g. the china mini series.
    The shows are more promote STEM to a family, get him in africa building a school.

halifaxpete

I enjoyed it. Great publicity for JCB and cant blame GM for getting involved who wouldnt given the chance? He has worked with JCB before this project IIRC wrote about it in his last book, Nice cameo from the Five too 😀

tthew

Just watched it on catch up. I liked the twist at the end when they realised that they were going to go the extra mile to beat the American racer.

Wonder how fast the pulling tractor would go with a different final drive ratio and the special tyres 😳

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wonder how fast the pulling tractor would go with a different final drive ratio and the special tyres

And the 3 bottles of niterous hanging off the rear door.

As for getting kids interested in STEM subjects

It’s a reasonable to think that kids are probably like tractors. A tractor going fast on TV will be a much easier sell for parents than watching guy build houses in Africa.

One thing that struck me was the age of the team assigned. They were all quite young given the spend and scale of the project. -anothwr plus for promoting STEM and UK engineering. Historically projects like this are old men in sheds and that makes it pipedream for kids who can’t make the link between entering industry and being the project guy.

alibongo001

I quite enjoyed it – the second attempt due to the Americans beating them was a nice surprise

I did get really annoyed by the summary frequency though – you really don’t need to summarise the last 15-minute segment of film after the adverts every time!

zilog6128

There are some miserable sods on here! I thought it was great 😃 The tractor pull comp a particular highlight (8k bhp!!!) Recognised a local MTBer lurking in the background as part of the JCB team too!

pocpoc
    Free Member

you really don’t need to summarise the last 15-minute segment of film after the adverts every time!

Have you never watch a Guy Martin record attempt programme before? Once you take out the adverts and incessant recaps there’s only about 20 minutes of content in a 1hr slot.

Houns

I enjoyed it, though would’ve liked it to have been longer to show more of the design/building of it. Even our very own Terrahawk got a mention

P-Jay
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it, no there’s no practical point to it, but how much TV has a practical point?

Yeah, it’s a bit repetitive, although this seems more professional than previous efforts, but it’s a one-off warm up for ‘Our Guy in Japan’ later this year.

If I had my way I’d have enjoyed more time watching Ricardo and Williams work, hell if they’d pulled in Pro Drive and McLaren I would have been nursing a chubby.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Even our very own Terrahawk got a mention

I’m having to get by on 4 second doses of fame nowadays. On the plus side the groupies were getting a bit boring.

zippykona

In his book he said that he’d ride his Enfield back from India. Has he done that yet?

davosaurusrex

It was alreet, bit same old but entertaining enough. I couldn’t help but wonder in the current climate how long 1000bhp tractor pulling competitions and such like are permitted? I’m sure it’s a drop in the ocean in the overall scheme of the problem but nevertheless when matey-boy said his monster truck did 56 metres to the gallon I couldn’t help but think that was a bit ****-witted. Wouldn’t sit comfortably with me as a hobby anyway. And I own an ebike! #Hypocrite

zilog6128

he’s not doing laps of Brands Hatch with it is he though? The winning pull was only about 100m IIRC. I’m sure he doesn’t fire it up every day and run it up and down the street either! Probably similar environmental impact to any other form of motorsport.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It was alreet, bit same old but entertaining enough. I couldn’t help but wonder in the current climate how long 1000bhp tractor pulling competitions and such like are permitted? I’m sure it’s a drop in the ocean in the overall scheme of the problem but nevertheless when matey-boy said his monster truck did 56 metres to the gallon I couldn’t help but think that was a bit ****-witted. Wouldn’t sit comfortably with me as a hobby anyway. And I own an ebike! #Hypocrite

It’s like worrying because a Ferrari F40 does 6mpg. It’s bad, but there’s only a tiny, tiny number of them doing a tiny tiny amount of actual driving, I think it seems worse than it is.

When we all go EV, or Fuelcell or whatever stuff like this will make more sense, not less oddly. Instead of burning 100 million barrels of oil a day (I’m aware it’s used for more than just cars and stuff) we’ll be burning a fraction of that, instead of a petrol station every few miles there will be charging stations, but somewhere, probably in some trading estate somewhere will be a petrol seller catering for the Monster Truck / Vintage Supercar / 1000bhp Tractor market.

mick_r

The actual “record” speed looked to be limited by the length of runway – so I’d imagine a true both ways record of 150-160 would be possible with the right location and weather.

I believe they used mostly apprentices and young graduates, with an average team age around 22. Just a shame that didn’t come across in the TV cut – would have been better as a 1 hour show with more emphasis on the building / factory time and less on the monster truck bobbins.

P-Jay
    Free Member

and less on the monster truck bobbins.

Yeah, in hindsight there was a big lump in the middle devoted to cocking about with Various stuff that might look exciting on camera to discuss various tyres, before choosing none of them in favour of a custom aircraft tyre. I’m sure this information was known before the rolled out Bigfoot.

In fact, now I think of it, maybe the reason Guy was wearing the Script Supervisors nightmare of a crew cut in that section an no where else during the rest of it, was they added it later on?

damascus
    Free Member

Fake driving licence trial date set for TV star Guy Martin January 2019

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/guy-martin-fake-licence-trial-2949115.amp

Enjoy it whole you can. If found guilty I expect they will drop him like a hot potato.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘PSA Guy Martin on C4 now’ is closed to new replies.