Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 629 total)
  • PSA Grand Designs
  • db

Liked that, wish them both a long and happy life there!

davosaurusrex

Awesome! Bless em

revs1972
    Free Member

Loved the way they worked round problems rather than just chucked money at it, although with a bit of forward planning he could have avoided the issues of height and roof angle.
    Beautiful looking place, love the wood facade. Top job

mactheknife

That was an awesome episode. Love it.

mrsheen
    Free Member

First baby of this series next week!

binners

Well, that was absolutely bloody brilliant!

Loved that. It doesn’t look like a visitor centre, it didn’t cost 5 million quid, we didn’t have to hear about the delay in the windows being delivered from Germany, nobody had to go and shake the lower boughs of the money tree for an extra half a million and the people were actually really likeable.

On the downside; nobody got pregnant and nobody had to live in a caravan for 3 years

fettlin

Jesus! Me and the Mrs were holding our breath until the credits rolled!

Great episode that, they deserve every happiness together in their beautiful new house.

Unfortunately zero score on the GD bingo card, but I won’t begrudge them that.

peekay

That was wonderful.

mt
    Free Member

Well that was just what I needed given what’s going around us all. I wish them well, where did I leave me hanky.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Super.

matt_outandabout

That was great. Proper grit and determination after so much cash going into the ground. I actually really liked them oiled wood outside, and the space indoors.

Clearly unfinished though, there is a few quid needed to fishing finish bedrooms, laundry (not even a washing machine yet) and handrails…

nuke

Genuinely hoping we weren’t going to hear really bad news as that episode went on but a happy ending…. brilliant, very pleased for them. Great episode

tonyg2003

Great episode and what an achievement for the two of them. What GD should be!

fingerbang
    Free Member

Clearly unfinished though, there is a few quid needed to fishing finish bedrooms, laundry (not even a washing machine yet) and handrails…

No they re sorted. No need for guest bedrooms and they can nip to the parents house for their washing. Just dump stuff in the spare rooms. He got his pool table in so priorities

jamiemcf

Good episode. Like is said above we did fear the worst on a few occasions.

kelvin

Putting as all to shame… what a bloke… and what a lovely home.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Thought the exterior was excellent, was quite an achievement considering the basic shape of the building and recycled pine boards.
    Inside needed a splash of colour to help finish it off.
    Considering the budget it turned out exceptionally well, great effort from both of them.

phil5556

I haven’t watched it yet, but it’s just up the road from where I grew up. My mum knows them and one of my best mate’s Dad worked on it, who sadly died 18 months ago, I think before it was finished. Not exactly sure but I think he did a lot of the groundwork.

phil5556

Not exactly sure but I think he did a lot of the groundwork.

Having started watching it I’ll have to find out. He wasn’t the guy that they got rid of once they had to do the underpinning.

I do know Callum though who’s just turned up with the steel work for the cube 🙂

lowey

That was brilliant, and very inspirational. What a driven young man that lad is.

Wish them every happiness.

Dickyboy

Loved the guys can do attitude and modesty, not to shabby an outcome either despite Kevin sneering at the pool table.

The girls cancer seems really harsh, to be reoccurring so frequently really doesn’t look good ☹️

davosaurusrex

Finishing it looks well doable for £25k which takes them to £295k, 15% tax back for the change of purpose, bang on budget! Great effort

Rich_s

Lovely place – I thought it was going to tick all the ‘usual” GD boxes but it turned out so much better.

Her folks seemed lovely too. Was that an e-type in the barn at the start?

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

Loved that one. Couldn’t believe how good the re-used external cladding looked. Just imaGive how long it took to removed them, scrape, sand, Re-assemble, oil (4 coats) must’ve taken.

His attitude of trying his hand at anything and everything by watching some YouTube guides was brilliant. I do that on a small scale but anything that looks like a bit too much of a challenge I get a pro in. He ended up turning into the pro.

Bullet

I thought there were two classic Corvettes in the barn in the opening scenes. Unfortunately didn’t get to see any more of them…

Joe

What a contrasting set of characters to last week. Could we have had two such different people? Likeable, inspiring, talented, driven – more or less every good quality you could want in a person.

Really really enjoyed this weeks and I wish them all the best going forward – i really hope it works out for them.

hooli

If ever there was proof that hard work and enthusiasm beats talent that was it.

I loved the house, even more with their background. Like a few have mentioned, I was dreading the credits at the end as I didn’t think she would make it.

Probably the best GD episode I’ve seen.

peekay

I reckon that the commissioner/ editor knew what they were doing in lining those two episodes next to each other in the series.

Also- who knew that Pink Lady apples had any kind of marketing budget for TV adverts in a semi prime TV slot.

Jakester
    Free Member

Twodogs
    Not a chance building control would sign off those stairs😁

Yes, I liked the way that Kevin said “oh, and of course for building regs there’ll be a handrail installed?” so they were covered if the building inspector watched it!

chrismac

That was superb. Awesome house and a lovely couple who deserve to be able to enjoy it for a long time. Loved it

joefm

Really pleased for them, and yeah, we were holding our breath until the end too.
    Remarkable build.

nickjb
    Free Member

and of course for building regs there’ll be a handrail installed

That’s one from Grand Designs bingo. Non conforming stairs is a reoccurring item, and the work-in-progress cover up.

Good episode.

tomhoward

So, these conservation rules that meant they had to ‘preserve’ a rotten 80’s barn/shed. What’s occurring there then? Do they (planners/councils I assume) just pick a moment in time and say ‘right, the area is perfect, no changes allowed!’

Seems a bit silly for something so, relatively, new with such little merit so what’s the thinking behind it? And what would the punishment have been had it fallen down?

Twodogs

That’s one from Grand Designs bingo. Non conforming stairs is a reoccurring item, and the work-in-progress cover up.

or do what my builder is doing…installing a Gate handrail. As soon as you hear the building inspector close the gate behind him, you remove it 🙂

roger_mellie

Excellent house. Loved both the exterior and the interior, which was sharp but not stark. Really great design in the end.

Their attitude was remarkable too.

The conservation area issue was just crazy. There needs to be the ability to exclude a building on a special case basis from a CA, but I doubt planning officers would have time to deal with those kind of applications.

hooli

On the handrail thing, in fairness they hadn’t finished a lot of things – bedrooms, utility etc. As he was welding everything himself, it needed a fair chunk of his time so fair enough that it got pushed down the list of jobs to do.

When we did some work on our house it took me about a year to put a handrail up, another 6 months to put the spindles below it and until a week before we sold it for it to get a decent coat of paint.

yosemitepaul

Fantastic episode, up there with one of the very best. Good luck and best wishes to both of them.
    My only question was over the ‘dead’ oak tree, that went onto make the table, and stairs.
    Does a felled tree not require a process of drying over a considerable period before being used in what is in effect ‘fine furniture’. Correct me please but won’t it split and crack as it dries in the warm house environment?

b33k34

Great to see some people getting stuck in for once and doing it so well.

I’d have knocked it down and rebuilt to match though – planners would neither have known or noticed and it would have saved a load of money on groundworks. (though the ‘feet’ for the uprights was a good cheap solution)

Couldn’t believe how good the re-used external cladding looked. Just imaGive how long it took to removed them, scrape, sand, Re-assemble, oil (4 coats) must’ve taken.

My thoughts exactly – can’t believe how good that looks then, ‘that was a *lot* of work.

His attitude of trying his hand at anything and everything by watching some YouTube guides was brilliant.

thats what we did on ours. You can get a long way with YouTube and crossed fingers.

Does a felled tree not require a process of drying over a considerable period before being used in what is in effect ‘fine furniture’. Correct me please but won’t it split and crack as it dries in the warm house environment?

You can either let it dry naturally over a few years, in which case it will still shrink and crack considerably (see my uncle in law’s ash flooring from the farm in their last house) or you can get it kiln dried (which is what happens to commercial timber) and use it quickly.

“oh, and of course for building regs there’ll be a handrail installed?”

Well, having lived with no banisters or handrails for a while it’s surprising how many people get freaked out by open stairs (even with a wall to one side). Having put a handrail in I’d not take it back out (though I wouldn’t miss the railing on the other side.

That staircase really was an accident waiting to happen.

fettlin

I suspect the ‘open’ stairs was a bit staged. i would guess a blockade was removed from the top for the cameras (it did look striking!).
    The stairs in the bedroom up to that level were a lot safer and had a rail on the wall IIRC.

Dickyboy

Seems a bit silly for something so, relatively, new with such little merit so what’s the thinking behind it?

I’m assuming it’s to stop people knocking whatever down and building a gaudy monstrosity that was never agreed to at planning, resulting in years of legals that the council can’t really afford to fight.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 629 total)

The topic ‘PSA Grand Designs’ is closed to new replies.