Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • PSA – Garmin Virb Elite – £119 Amazon
  • fubar
    Free Member

these are on offer again..no doubt a new version in the pipeline but a good price ….

Amazon Virb Elite

geoffj

Aaaaargh – why did you have to do that!

fubar
    Free Member

Your welcome 😀
    I’ve been holding back on a purchase for sometime but this has pushed me over the edge and I’ve purchased now. Would probably have gone for the cheap go pro if the battery had been changeable

geoffj

😀

I was toying with the idea of buying another SJ4000, but this looks good for the price. WiFi and GPS built in.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Awesome PSA! £100 EE voucher applied. £20 for a Virb Elite! 😀

tonyd

Blimey. I can’t really afford it but am sorely tempted. Are these something more than just a Go-Pro type helmet cam?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I paid £20 more than that and I’m still happy 🙂

It’s a chunky lump of a camera and maybe has less mounting options than a go-pro because of that. The built in (very basic) screen is handy for alignment, the app on my windows mobile works well (though I may never really use it) and the fact I can use my edge 800 as a remote to start/stop recording is a really nice touch when the camera is out of easy reach. The big slider to start stop recording is easiest to use when the camera is within reach.

convert

Thanks – I now have a bit of a surplus of cameras!

fubar
    Free Member

…expect a ‘what mounts for a Garmin Virb’ thread in the next week (mmm helmet or handlebar…going on a road bike and already have a garmin gps mounted…)

riddoch

Kedge have an adaptor for gopro style connector for their edge mounts.
    raceware do one too. ok the link is for their joystick mount but that attachs using the gopro connector.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Superstar also have a combined Garmin and Go-Pro handlebar mount for about £20 I’ve been considering. I think the Virb comes with an adapter to fit it to Go-Pro type mounts.

oomidamon

They’ve gone up to £139 now – you snooze, you lose…

Still a fair price mind.

geoffj

Mine arrived today. It looks like a solid bit of kit. The mounting hardware is certainly better than the knock-off GoPro stuff I’ve been using with the SJ4000, as you’d expect. I’m not 100% sure about the bullet form, but I’ve got it rigged up to the GoPro chesty mount; it just might spear me if I hall on it 😐 .

I’m tempted by a side helmet mounting, but I’ve got the Schumacher crash / camera weakening the helmet thing going on in my head and I’m not sure I can do it. Might have to go with the shoulder mount instead.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Reviews of the shoulder mount aren’t good other than making you look like ‘Predator’.

fubar
    Free Member

I’m tempted by a side helmet mounting

Mine should be here today. Reading reviews suggests that it’s a little heavier than some so I’m thinking top of helmet so it’s not pulling to one side.

geoffj

Yes, the shoulder mount reviews aren’t great. And apparently end up with you filming half your face.
    Top mounted may be the best option, but I’ve ordered a wrist mount to have a play with too.

convert

Just fiddling with mine now, alongside work’s gopro 3+ black. Yes quite a bit heavier – 210g vs 140g for the gopro in its waterproof case. It’s going to be quite noticeable on your bonce. It’s a much more intuitive bit of kit than the gopro though. I’ve not had enough time yet but my only surprises/frustrations so far are the fact that the SD card being buried deep behind the battery which is a pain and it having no lens cap or cover. I might 3D print myself one.

bigG
    Free Member

Finally managed to fire mine up today after having to wait for the memory card to rock up (why don’t they bundle that in with the camera?)

I’ve already made a handlebar mount for it using a garmin GPS mount and some sugru to make it super strong as the tube mount that comes as part of the bundle isn’t exactly svelte.

Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow on the road club run but on the basis of having had a wander round the house the video looks sharp and the pictures of good quality. Being able to use my Garmin 800 as a remote for it won’t be much use when it’s on the bars but maybe when I have it rear facing on the bike.

andreyuk
    Free Member
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Garmin Virb Elite – £119 Amazon’ is closed to new replies.