Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PSA – Garmin Varia 515 £109 or maybe less
  • honourablegeorge

Amazon

But if you’re in UK, maybe check r2-bike as you can avoid VAT

snownrock

Can someone explain the benefit of these? They won’t stop anything hitting you and unless you’re riding with headphones surely you can hear cars approaching?

scotroutes

IME they give you a warning long before you’d hear any vehicle approaching. This is especially true at any speed where your hearing is affected by wind noise. I appreciate that many readers won’t be aware of this concept…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There’s 5 bundles left at CRC for Garmin Edge 530 plus Varia for ~£258.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/garmin-edge-530-and-varia-rtl515-bike-bundle/rp-prod208064

Sandwich

Can someone explain the benefit of these?

You can actively manage your road positioning to deter the close (cowards) pass. There’s 140m of warning which is enough to wobble a bit and move into the lane some more. Invaluable to me on my B-Road commute. Also gives an idea of how many cars are approaching from behind when turning right all whilst facing forwards and not craning your neck to see behind. (It’s no substitute for a “life-saver” before making the turn).

snownrock

I appreciate that Scotroutes, I was being a bit disingenuous. But now you’re aware of an approaching car from the rear slightly earlier than normal, what do you do with that information? I don’t see how it makes you any safer on the road, it won’t stop a driver doing what they were going to do anyway. I know they are popular (and I love a gadget + the Garmin ecosystem) but I don’t get this one.

scotroutes

@Sandwich explains it very well. I was sceptical too but thought I’d try one out given that the price had dropped so much. It really does work very well – and based on my experience I’m actually someone who looks behind more than 90% of cyclists I see on the roads.

snownrock

Thanks both

snownrock

@honourablegeorge worth pointing out that the r2bike link you posted is for the 516 stvzo variant which doesn’t have a flashing mode.

feed

Good price, though any roads I’m on there’s a constant stream of traffic behind so I guess it doesn’t make any sense for me.

oldnpastit

I think partly it works because it changes the flashing as cars approach which makes the drivers pay a bit more attention.

honourablegeorge

snownrock

@honourablegeorge
    worth pointing out that the r2bike link you posted is for the 516 stvzo variant which doesn’t have a flashing mode

Didn’t realise that, good to lnow

mogrim

Good price, though any roads I’m on there’s a constant stream of traffic behind so I guess it doesn’t make any sense for me.

Yeah, they’re no better than any other rear light in traffic. But they’re great on quieter roads (which is where I do 90% of my riding) for the reasons mentioned above.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.