Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 821 total)
  • PSA. Garmin instinct solar under £100
  • bonzodog
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see how far they go as I ordered at 16.14 on the 25th and no despatch email yet.

16:08 for me and nothing yet.

Ooooh the tension is palpable.

ta11pau1

I would think that the fact it’s currently at £70 off, and the bargain price was exactly 70% off would indicate fairly clearly it was a pricing error. That and there’s no other items in the same sale near that level of discount.

Looks like they’re honouring some of the orders at least, whether that’s because they haven’t spotted the mass of orders, or because they’ve decided that the price is acceptable for the orders received (which is probably what’s happening seeing as the deal price has been rectified).

If there’s new models out soon it could have even been a clever way to clear out some excess stock – first 500 at the silly price then it goes back to normal 😁

twonks

I went with the Tactical one – mainly for the colour.

Anybody else done so and got a despatch email?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m 16:08 too, hope it doesn’t come down to an arm wrestle.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

@twonks, I ordered a tactical but no confirmation yet

bonzodog
    Free Member

I’m 16:08 too, hope it doesn’t come down to an arm wrestle.

I’ll bet the winner will be the one benefitting from the extra gravity provided by a rugged outdoor smart watch.

Vortexracing

ordered 2, 1 for me and 1 for the brother in law

just got shipping email for both. 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

mines on dispatched now, hope I get it mind, cause I put the wrong number on my address! One number out but it’s a wee bit down the road 😆 Guess I’ll either try and change if possible or just keep an eye out for guy turning up at the wrong address across the road! 😆

pondo

You can cut the tension with a cricket stump

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆

5lab

Interestingly I ordered mine before most of you (13:27) and order is still processing. I wonder if its because I ordered a surf edition (presumably most of you are on ‘standard’ ones)?

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I think as these orders have been in system for so long you will all hopefully be getting them soon, normally these issues are discovered within a few days from past experience.

tpbiker
    Free Member

@tpbiker you regularly see stuff on sale that goes back up from £95 to £250 when the sale ends? Ok then…

Not regularly but I’ve seen it happen yes. And the Fact that they are all being shipped suggests more likely than not it wasn’t a pricing error…

Oh do stop overplaying it, it’s not a bottom of the range Casio

Genuine question.. how much do you think each one of these units costs to manufacture excluding the r&d and production line set up costs? A bottom of the line Casio would cost a couple of quid tops to manufacture I imagine given I can buy one for a tenner rrp

ta11pau1

You mean a basic Casio watch, which is basically just an LCD screen in a casing, and which they’ve been making with no changes for about 30 years?

Vs a Garmin watch with Bluetooth, ant+, solar panel, rechargeable battery, HR sensor, pulse ox sensor, GPS, altimeter, accelerometer…

Watches being sent doesn’t mean it wasn’t a pricing error, if they’re selling at a loss they may have just decided to suck it up.

pondo

And the Fact that they are all being shipped suggests more likely than not it wasn’t a pricing error…

The rapid repricing suggests otherwise.

piemonster

I imagine

You’re doing quite a bit if that.

And I’ve no idea what the manufacturing cost is, and I’m not inclined to think you have a reasonable idea either.

And why on earth would you exclude development costs, without recouping that youd never develop a knew product. That would be as daft as excluding logistics and business administration costs. Anyway, enough with the killjoy.

tpbiker
    Free Member

You mean a basic Casio watch, which is basically just an LCD screen in a casing, and which they’ve been making with no changes for about 30 years?

Vs a Garmin watch with Bluetooth, ant+, solar panel, rechargeable battery, HR sensor, pulse ox sensor, GPS, altimeter, accelerometer…

Hence why I suggested that a garmin would cost around 15 x more to manufacture. Or did you miss that point?

The rapid repricing suggests otherwise.

Does it? Or maybe they were just put on sale for the day? You are welcome to believe you got the deal of the century due to a pricing error by all means, i tend to think I got a good deal on a soon to be replaced watch that they probably have excess stock of.

And I’ve no idea what the manufacturing cost is

Clearly if you think it costs 30 quid to manufacture a bottom of the range Casio.

piemonster

I don’t think that, but you seem determined to piss on chips so I’ll leave you to it

pondo

Or maybe they were just put on sale for the day?

Sure, sounds totally legit, a christmas day only super-sale, 70% off for one day then switch to £70 – happens all the time, right?

scuttler

Thread reminds me of this with the waiting and speculation

twonks

I don’t see how it could be a genuine conceived idea to discount that much knowingly – or at least appear to be.

Irrespective of the cost of goods, their cost of sale will be significantly higher but either way the more I think about it, the more I’m inclined to think it was a mistake.

Even if they could sell them that cheap, with no reasoning other than a Winter Sale, the discounts were so huge it devalues the brand.

All just opinions and thoughts tbh, which we won’t fully understand unless somebody within Garmin lets slip.

Still not got my despatch notification though – meh 😉

bonzodog
    Free Member

No despatch confirmation for me yet.

ta11pau1

Nothing here either, ordered at 5pm.

boombang
    Free Member

@pondo you’ve not shopped at Planet X have you?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Sure, sounds totally legit, a christmas day only super-sale, 70% off for one day then switch to £70 – happens all the time, right?

I’ve regularly bought stuff in Black Friday deals at huge discount, however I hadn’t spotted that they are now all showing as £70 off, so tbf that does seem too much of a coincidence. So yeah.. I’m going to change my opinion to probably an error.

Either way mine is arriving tomorrow so don’t really care how they arrived at that price. Don’t actually need another garmin watch however, so it’s maybe not as good a deal as it sounded when I bought it

loum
    Free Member

Appears to me like a brilliant bit of marketing. Very clever.
    The huge discount got people very interested, who might not have known they wanted these watches.
    For the cost of a few discounted units, they’ve got a lot of people discussing their products online.
    I’ve looked up reviews for these watches. Been impressed, decided that they’re worth that price, and would have bought one if quick enough.
    As a seller, to have people in that position is a massive step towards them buying their next GPS watch from you.
    Hukd and other sites have basically done their advertising for them.
    The promotion worked.

pondo

So yeah.. I’m going to change my opinion to probably an error.

Fair play.

Jordan

Not sure what it means but before buying I clicked on the sale definition link next to the price and it said the sale would run until 31st december stock dependant. Si I’m guessing the price went up as soon as current stock sold out.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Very clever.
    The huge discount got people very interested, who might not have known they wanted these watches.

I fall comprehensively into that camp.

Aidy
    Free Member

Appears to me like a brilliant bit of marketing. Very clever.

The much simpler explanation is that it was just a misprice.

jimmy

I don’t think that, but you seem determined to piss on chips so I’ll leave you to it.

Or is it just “Speculation”. And I thought it was just my missus who could ruminate and speculate on this kind of thing for days on end.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I fall comprehensively into that camp.

You might not know you wanted one for 100 quid, but would you still want one if you had missed out and it was 250?

Pricing aside, how do these compare to my current fenix ? I know it doesn’t have a colour screen or music, but does it have mapping and sports given it’s designed for out doors?

oldtennisshoes

I know it doesn’t have a colour screen or music, but does it have mapping and sports given it’s designed for out doors?

No music, mapping or Garmin pay and a flakey altimeter, but other than that, they are a solid bit of kit with most of the sports and training tools of the Fenix.

tpbiker
    Free Member

FYI, the non solar version appears to be on sale in Argos for 130 if anyone particularly wants one

Kryton57

FYI, the non solar version appears to be on sale in Argos for 130 if anyone particularly wants one

If my Solar actually arrives, I’ll sell you one £40 cheaper than that 😀 First into my PM gets it.

bonzodog
    Free Member

You might not know you wanted one for 100 quid, but would you still want one if you had missed out and it was 250?

Honestly?, probably not. It’s only after this PSA that I you tubed it to see what it could bring to my life. Now I’m getting quite excited about using one, but haven’t had a dispatch confirmation today, so not getting too worked up just in case.

Its all @5lab ‘s fault.

nickjb
    Free Member

Pricing aside, how do these compare to my current fenix ? I know it doesn’t have a colour screen or music, but does it have mapping and sports given it’s designed for out doors?

I’ve got a fenix 3 so thought about buying this as a replacement for the 3 is getting on a bit. Actually decided this was a backwards step as it’s missing quite a few features of even my fenix that I like. You can get a fenix 5 in decent used condition for similar money.

grum
    Free Member

You can get a fenix 5 in decent used condition for similar money.

:waves:

ta11pau1

My forerunner 245 music is great, but it can eat the battery if using it on consecutive days on a trip – needs charging every couple of days like this. The instinct solar should be better on those multi day trips for when access to a charger isn’t as easy. Plus it’s nice to change watches every so often.

tomcrow99

I’m slightly gutted, I bought a Instinct Solar Tactical on Ebay a few of months ago for £129, it was perfect condition except the battery isn’t quite what it should be – lasts 10-14 days rather than 20 ish that it should. I was happy enough given the discount that I got and its literally perfect for my needs and I love it, only slightly soured by the degraded battery. When I saw the PSA I thought Id get a brand new one and punt my existing one back onto Ebay but was to slow unfortunately. 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 821 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.