Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PSA: Garmin Edge 820
  • bullandbladder
    Free Member

The fully-featured one, not the Explore model, £265 at Halfords. Seems reasonable.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-technology/cycle-computers-gps/garmin-edge-820-gps-cycle-computer

chowsh
    Free Member

Plus extra 10% off with British Cycling.

Rubber_Buccaneer

or CyclingUK (CTC)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gary_M
    Free Member

and an extra 11.5% off if you can buy vouchers through your employers benefits scheme, and an extra 3% back through quidco, tempting 🙂

summitchilterns
    Free Member

Maybe read the review above before purchasing though! Any user reviews good / bad from 820 owners on here?

bigdaddy

Well that Guardian review is pretty damning! I was a little interested as I have an old 800 still going, but based on that I’ll keep it going until I can afford a 1000…

zilog6128

I really rate my 820. I’ve never had any issues with any Garmin devices crashing or otherwise ballsing up (having had a 200 & 800 before my 820) but I appreciate I might’ve just gotten lucky. The 820 has had loads of firmware updates so Garmin have been pretty quick to address issues.

In that Guardian review it’s unclear if the reviewer knows that you can adjust the sensitivity of the touchscreen. Initially the touchscreen was borderline unusable in the wet although with firmware updates it’s a lot better now. You can lock the screen & use an optional remote (admittedly an extra expense/hassle you shouldn’t have to go through) which makes it a lot better in the wet. The remote is also a great upgrade as you can operate the unit without taking your hands off the bars.

The screen is my only real gripe (they should’ve kept the resistive screen from the 800 IMO) but it’s only minor now (after the updates) (again IMO)

rone

Have both – the 1000 is the better device in terms of clarity and size, but is very buggy, lots of crashes and failed uploads on Wifi. The 820 does have issues with the touch screen and too crashes a fair bit.

I played with the 820 touch-sensitivity and it didn’t seem to do much.

My 800 was rock solid as bike puters go.

funkweasel
    Free Member

I also really rate my 820. It’s mostly rock solid. It’s switched itself off for no reason mid ride twice (only when stopped). I don’t know if it crashed or what, but it switched back on easily enough and hadn’t lost my ride data either time.

Battery life is great. I’ve only used it for about 7 hours (in one go) but it still had about 50% battery life left after 100 miles, with speed/cadence/hr sensors talking to it via BT/Ant+ (however they work) and connected to my phone via BT.

No issues with the navigation on it either – if you don’t go the right way because you have no sense of direction, it’ll tell you you’re off course soon enough and since you won’t be riding on any motorways (and probably not a dual carriageway unless you’re mental) then just stop, turn around and put yourself back on course.

New routes have never been a problem for me because they’re either singed in an event, or I took time to have a rough idea where I’d be going before I set off. Never tried the “get me home, I’m bored of riding” features of the navigation side of things, though.

My main complaint about it is if it’s got water on the screen (e.g. if it’s raining) then it can (rarely) decide I want to scroll to another page, as the drops roll around on the screen, or just refuse to scroll when I want it to.

I don’t like to ride in the rain, so … not a massive issue, but probably the main thing that annoys me.

In short, it’s great. And I’d buy another without hesitation.

Prior to this I had a 510.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Garmin Edge 820’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts