Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • PSA – Friday 28th June is National Cream Tea Day
  • croe
    Free Member

Friday is creampie day as well.

ransos
    Free Member

^

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

All that sharp jam has made you quite bitter

Not at all.

I was bitter long before I lost my sweet tooth.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cream first, jam nipple on top, always.

And Devon invented it. Comes from Tavistock. Though Cornish impostor isn’t with a scone, but a split as they call it.

Scone / Cone / Tone / Phone / Bone.

Scon! Sigh.

thepurist

So I don’t care if you’re a jammists, creamist, cheese-ist, scoaner, skonner, victoria sponger, coffee and walnutter – even if you’re having instant coffee with it…. but who’s having a cream tea today?  (croe, no more detail from you thanks).

perchypanther
    Free Member

scoaner, skonner,

Tracey

Beggars can’t be choosers so made the most of what we have in the camper. Croissants with lime marmalade and coffee.
    View makes up for the rest as does the heat.

fasthaggis

Had a baguette with jam and cream, sgone .

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

nobody is suggesting a small lump of butter under the cream and jam?

sigh.

ahwiles
    Free Member

obviously got to be jam first.

Then cream on top, that’s what makes it’s special – it’s a miniature cake.

jam on top of cream? what’s the point? you may as well just have a jam sandwich.

thepurist

jam on top of cream? what’s the point? you may as well just have a jam sandwich.

Well for the sake of balance I tried one with jam first today, but after adding ‘sufficient’ cream it just looked like cream on a scone.  Solution?  Add another dollop of jam on top of the cream (that was on top of the jam).  Have I just invented the ‘border’ (Tamar?) cream tea that takes the best of the Devon & Cornish ways?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Well for the sake of balance I tried one with jam first today, but after adding ‘sufficient’ cream it just looked like cream on a scone.

You’ve underjammed* there.

*Obviously, it’s impossible to overcream.

TiRed

You know you’re all doing it wrong – Thick white doorsteps, lather the jam on one, cream on the other, seal and eat. Invert acording to Devonness/Cornishness. HTH

And if you want a nice change – cheese for cream and chutney for jam. Burn me

Otherwise #jamfirst (Devonian here)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

*Obviously, it’s impossible to overcream

Obviously you haven’t used the Internet very much. I’d post pictures but it would certainly attract the ban hammer

perchypanther
    Free Member

Obviously you haven’t used the Internet very much. I’d post pictures but it would certainly attract the ban hammer

Easily solved by wearing these…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just blend em’

Makes all the I’m right/you are wrong arguments null.

Like this, but with the ingredients for a cream tea thrown in.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

A drink, served in a jam jar? Only it’s not even a real jam jar, it’s a sodding glass, with a handle to make it easy to drink from , made to look like a bloody jam jar, then they put a flipin straw in it to defeat the object of the handle too!

meeeee
    Free Member

After many years of scone guzzling I have a scientific approach and use both jam first and cream first depending on where I am!

If I’m out at a cafe I’ll do cream first then jam, but at home I’ll do jam then cream.. this stops cream going in my jam jar as I only use one knife. If I’m out at a cafe the jams usually in a little bowl that will be washed out or single use pack so cream contaminated jam is less important!

TiRed

as I only use one knife

Are you a peasant? A spoon for jam, surely, as any fule knoweth!

matt_outandabout

Sadly I’ve missed the cream teas for the day.
    I’ll take a double helping tomorrow as penance.

bigblackshed

There is only one person talking sense here. And that’s MrMonkFinger.

Scone, pronounced scon, cut in half, buttered with unsalted butter, jam, clotted cream, on each half. Eat.

If there is leftover clotted cream, have another scon(e).

The flavour of jam can be matched or compliment the fruit in the scon(e). Plain or cheese scon(e)s can and should be eaten with selected cheese and chutney.

colp

If there is leftover clotted cream, have another scon(e).

If there’s leftover cream, you just haven’t gone high enough with it on the first scone.

blokeuptheroad

Surely the jam/cream conundrum is a matter of structural integrity? The cream has to be at least half, preferably three quarters of inch thick. Jam on top of that, of an equal thickness is a wobbly disaster bound to end in tears. The superior viscosity and adhesive qualities of preserved fruit means it is the only sane choice for a base layer, for stability and health and safety reasons.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Friday 28th June is National Cream Tea Day’ is closed to new replies.