Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • PSA – Friday 28th June is National Cream Tea Day
  • thepurist

https://www.creamteasociety.co.uk/national-cream-tea-day

At work we’re going for a range of plain & fruit scones, strawberry and raspberry jam, clotted cream plus of course a gingham tablecloth & napkins. Naturally we’ll be taking advantage of the good weather and nomming through this lot on the extensive lawns outside the office.

Go on, you know you want to.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Jam first obviously.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Jam first obviously.

Obviously, you’d have to be an utter moron to go cream first

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wars have started for less, Rubber

#CreamFirst

fadda

Agreed. Can we lobby the mods to immediately ban anyone who does it wrong, please?

Jeez, I misread perchys email, as I couldn’t believe that someone whose posts I have always enjoyed so much could be so badly wrong.

I’m well aware that my confused ramblings in this post will not really help so, to set it straight, cream first is the correct, Devonshire way, and should always be followed…

submarined
    Free Member

‘Just going to spread the jam on my toast, then the butter on top’. Said nobody ever.

Cream is just immature butter, you halfwits. Get in the sea.

Rubber_Buccaneer

That’s drawn a few out ready to be rounded up

colp

Wars have started for less, Rubber

#CreamFirst

My god man, have you no self respect?

fasthaggis

perchypanther
    Free Member

#CreamFirst

You are dead to me.

#TeamKernow

colp

That creamfirst hashtag is the cake on the icing.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cream is just immature butter

Jam is just over matured strawberries

“Just going to drop these strawberries into this big bowl of cream’. Said nobody ever.

Get in the sea.

I intend to. In Cornwall

submarined
    Free Member

“Just going to drop these strawberries into this big bowl of cream’. Said nobody ever.

Trifle is outside, it wants a word. And it’s brought Ladyfingers.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m well aware that my confused ramblings in this post will not really help so, to set it straight, cream first is the correct, Devonshire way, and should always be followed…

That’s the most effective way of doing it wrong. Not being from Devon or Cornwall, I have no axe to grind, so conducted trials…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Trifle is on the phone, it wants a word.

…about where the fruit is?

It’s in the jelly. On the bottom. Underneath the cream.

As it should be.

fasthaggis

submarined Member

Cream is just immature butter, you halfwits. Get in the sea.

Best user name and post interface .

submarined
    Free Member

in the jelly. On the bottom. Underneath the cream.

No

no

perchypanther
    Free Member

De minimis non curat panthera

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You’re all wrong, what is wrong with all of you.

Eat clotted cream from bowl, eat more clotted cream from bowl, once you’re feeling sickly, use the scone to wipe the remnants of clotted cream from the bowl. Once the bowl contains nary a suggestion of having once contained cream, butter what’s left of the scone and eat it. Feel free to have a second scone with jam.

matt_outandabout

Depending on how stw_hannah answers this, I may resign my blue P….

Jam first.

Unless of course you are non-binary and could have strawberry flavour cream…

Drac

Just going to drop these strawberries into this big bowl of cream’. Said nobody ever.

Strawberry Pavlova.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Strawberry Pavlova

Exactly, it’d be pavlunda if the strawberries went in first.

thepurist

Doh – should’ve known this would cause a fight between the creamists and the jammists.  Just one question – why is everyone banging on about strawberries when the jam to use is obviously raspberry?

crazy-legs

Just one question – why is everyone banging on about strawberries when the jam to use is obviously raspberry?

MODS!
    Ban him! I find his post offensive.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

jam to use is obviously raspberry

Good sharp makes you grimace black currant (other tart options such as gooseberry or bramble are available) surely, not sickly sweet [any sort of] red fruit jam unless you’re a child?

Drac

G

pocpoc
    Free Member

Cheese scone. Loads of proper salted butter. Done.

fasthaggis

High fives pocpoc..
    Tru dat.

Wanders off to start a socks and sandals thread 😉

Bunnyhop

Cream tea doesn’t have to be scones (pronounced ‘it’s gone’)

It could be a large Victoria sandwich cake with jam and cream. Always tea though, never coffee. Or a coffee and walnut cake is acceptable.

I think a strawberry shortcake would be nice on a gingham tablecloth. All above bakery products have to be home made – its the law.

trademark
    Free Member

Sconn or scoan…?

thepurist

It could be a large Victoria sandwich cake with jam and cream. Always tea though, never coffee. Or a coffee and walnut cake is acceptable.

Or????  OR??????  I think the word you’re looking for is AND

Drac

Sconn or scoan…?

Scon.

mogrim

Jam first, obviously. One isn’t a barbarian.

And no raisins in the scones (prn. scons).

ransos
    Free Member

Skon if you’re acting posh. Skoan if not.

Good sharp makes you grimace black currant (other tart options such as gooseberry or bramble are available) surely, not sickly sweet [any sort of] red fruit jam unless you’re a child?

A good, homemade strawberry or raspberry jam isn’t sickly sweet.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

hopkinsgm

Sconn or scoan…?

Scon obviously, or the joke about the fastest food in the world wouldn’t work

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

A good, homemade strawberry or raspberry jam isn’t sickly sweet.

You’re supposed to to wash the cat wee off first.

Strawberries are sweet (or tasteless when under ripe) and need a fair amount of sugar (about 4:3) to set the jam. raspberries when ripe are sweet and need 1:1 fruit and sugar roughly, under ripe ones need more sugar. It’s always going to be very sweet.

kelvin

Cream on top. ON TOP.

Drac

All that sharp jam has made you quite bitter.

ransos
    Free Member

Strawberries are sweet (or tasteless when under ripe) and need a fair amount of sugar (about 4:3) to set the jam. raspberries when ripe are sweet and need 1:1 fruit and sugar roughly, under ripe ones need more sugar. It’s always going to be very sweet.

It’s sweet for sure, but well-made jam with good quality fruit will still have a hint of sharpness from the fruit. I always use “just ripe” fruit as it sets more easily and retains some acidity. I add lemon juice in with low acidity fruit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Friday 28th June is National Cream Tea Day’ is closed to new replies.