Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • PSA free Hope tools for those with a 3D printer
  • Jordan

Here you go! Unfortunately I don’t have a 3D printer so if anyone fancies producing a set I would pay for em.

DickBarton

That is brilliantly helpful.

kimbers

Ow wow that’s pretty cool

chrismac

That’s excellent. Well done hope. Let’s hope other brands copy the idea

Rubber_Buccaneer

That is a great idea but I previously have and still will go to

http://www.r3pro.co.uk

And for other makes too

convert

thumbs up! I’ll design up some for my minis too.

Stevelol
    Free Member

That is wicked. What a time to be alive

nixie

Finally a tool to allow only one piston.out at once 😀.

cookeaa

As with anything useful that gets put up on thingiverse, I’d fully expect some cheeky git to be asking a fiver plus P&P on eBay for 8p worth of PLA and Hope’s IP before the end of the week…

fooman

Let’s hope other brands copy the idea

Thing is with 3d printing they don’t need to, anybody can knock up a tool design and release it – there’s plenty of Rockshox tools about for example and my son printed me some sram spacers I needed, though I’m sure the Hope designs are top quality.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As with anything useful that gets put up on thingiverse, I’d fully expect some cheeky git to be asking a fiver plus P&P on eBay for 8p worth of PLA and Hope’s IP before the end of the week…

It’s not entirely unreasonable, the printing (and posting) is still a faff.

Have you seen how much tearooms charge for a cup of tea? Those teabags cost 2p each!

cookeaa

It’s not entirely unreasonable, the printing (and posting) is still a faff.

Have you seen how much tearooms charge for a cup of tea? Those teabags cost 2p each!

Oh I’m sure they’ve got their overheads to cover, but fundamentally they’re still freeloaders; shortcutting any sort of design effort to ultimately derive profits from someone else’s work…

zilog6128

Finally a tool to allow only one piston.out at once

could’ve done with a set of those recently, followed a suggestion though that 2x pound coins taped together work ok (which they did!) Will be printing some of these for next time though! 😀

slowoldman

anybody can knock up a tool design

I can’t.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I can’t.

Download a copy of freecad, it’s a bit glitchy but for something simple like the pad spacers, or a single piston removal tool you’d have something done in 5 minutes max (once you’ve worked through the tutorial).

Failing that, download autodesk on a student license (I’m not sure whether learning to use it counts as a “student” but there’s nothing checking) and teach yourself that.

Never understood the appeal of a 3D printer if you don’t design things yourself, it’s like having an inkjet, but only to print out things you find on the web?

Northwind

Cos there’s shitloads of free stuff on the web, basically. I’ve always got something I or a friend wants to print, I hardly ever design from scratch- sometimes edit someone else’s though.

(I think it’s because I learned cad on a BBC Micro, all this newfangled stuff is a bit clever for me, it’s like handing me a robot with a chainsaw attached, I learned to cut trees with a rock on a stick)

nixie

followed a suggestion though that 2x pound coins taped together work ok (which they did!)

Doesn’t that only block two of the three pistons though?

zilog6128

true! I had mis-remembered what I was doing 😂

Anyway, they’re a quick & easy print, if anyone (non-freeloader 😉) wants some drop me a PM.

igm

Nice of them to do this. This and all the servicing videos etc does suggest a maintainable, repairable ethos that certain other manufacturers would do well to copy.

beaker2135

Ebikeprints are on it
    They’ll be on the web site shortly.
    Pictures of them printed on Facebook

Jordan

@zilog6128 PM sent.

followed a suggestion though that 2x pound coins taped together work ok (which they did!)

Despite being curious to try the tool, I have never fully understood the need for it. I have a piece of thick aluminium sheet that I put in and pump all four pistons out at once until they clamp the sheet, just far enough. Then clean and lube all four pistons at once with a small paintbrush.

dyna-ti

Finally a tool to allow only one piston.out at once

I made something similar out a small piece of oak a few years ago.

No, the back of it is flat, so it blocks those 2, the front has the step, blocking one so the last one can be pumped out.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Has anyone tried any of these yet?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.