• This topic has 49 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Crag.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • PSA free boiler
  • damascus
    Free Member

I’ve worked all my life and I’ve never qualified for anything free until today.

I work within benefits so I’ve seen a lot of customers qualify for things over the years and always been a JAM.

The government is currently allowing child benefit as a qualifying benefit for a short period (other benefits qualify too). Your boiler needs to be over 8 years old and you need at least 3 bedrooms,

Various different people are offering this at the moment. If you think you qualify then then just do a local Google.

The company I used fitted a Worcester bosch that is £900 online (cheapest) I was quoted recently £2200 for the same installation.

At first it seemed too good to be true but I checked them out and they have a link to the dwp benefit system to verify your details.

I will link a picture to the flyer for anyone who lives in West Yorkshire although the company that fitted this came from Liverpool.

It’s a carbon credit scheme backed by government. You can find more details online.

I know this sounds like a scam but it’s the last bit of European funding so grab it before it’s gone.

damascus
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

So only people with big houses qualify. What bollocks that is. I expect you have to have a couple of leased Mercedes on the drive too. hmph

damascus
    Free Member

Dezb, I didn’t design it. It’s all about carbon credit savings so I guess the bigger the house the more savings. There’s probably not enough profit in smaller houses.

On the plus side its open to tenants who don’t own a property.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ignore him.

Thanks for the info, I can’t use it personally but have passed it on to friends who may well be able to.
    Not often child benefit works for this sort of thing 👍

DezB
    Free Member

Ignore him

Too late!
    Wasn’t having a go at you, damascus. Just The Government.

damascus
    Free Member

Dezb, I know exactly what you mean. Hopefully some others can benefit too!

jam-bo

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2018/12/eco3_child_benefit_self-declaration_dec_2018_v3.1.pdf

Only qualify with child benefit if you earn under these thresholds.

damascus
    Free Member

Jambo, under the scheme I used, income was not taken into account.

somafunk

Just got a new boiler (ideal) and 9 radiators/new pipework totally free for my mother’s house through the energy saving trust (Scotland).  She qualified due to receiving esa and the fact her existing boiler is 14 years old and only 78% efficient (alpha cd24 Combi). Assessor came out this week and checked all through the house, late 1700’s semi detached 3 story town house, living room/kitchen diner, two double bedrooms, one bathroom with two attic rooms, new slate roof/insulation and two attic velux windows, 3 new double glazed sash/case windows fitted last year on 2nd floor (mum/late dad ☹️) spent £35k on it, assessor gave house an efficiency rating of 43, anything under 64 and you are eligible. I just phoned the energy saving trust two weeks ago to enquire about the process and they were really quick in sending an assessor out, she should have it all fitted within the next 4-5 weeks. Result!, saved her at least £3.5k

Now to see about getting her ground floor  3 sash/case windows replaced under the new window replacement scheme so hopefully save her another £4.5k.

its ongoing for the next 3 years ( in Scotland, dunno bout the rest of country) so get in quick

squirrelking
    Free Member

Whereas in direct contrast my father in law lives in a 2 bed flat in cumbernauld; the windows are shagged, dampness everywhere, no central heating and is entitled to bugger all.

You would be inclined to think this pisses me off no end. And you would be right.

Dickyboy

Checked on boilergrants.org.uk and don’t qualify due to earnings – which is a good thing to be honest, I don’t know how the op managed it without a question about earnings.

Drac

I’m puzzled too as they’re supposed to check your income.

damascus
    Free Member

Dickyboy. It’s a new scheme from March that opens it up to child benefit. Obviously if you are a higher tax earner you don’t qualify for child benefit. This is the means test part. This was the only question I wad asked about income.

As a civil servant I would assume that we just haven’t updated the website yet.

The company I used is warmer energy services in Liverpool. 0151 5452627. They have been first class, Highly recommended.

If you are within distance give them a call and see what they say. Good luck.

matt_outandabout

I don’t know how the op managed it without a question about earnings.

I wonder if the contractor can fill the form in with a lower income than reality.

damascus
    Free Member

Matt, as a benefit fraud investigator I checked them out first, read the form, checked the declaration etc. My form had zero questions about income. It just asks you to declare your qualifying benefit and supply proof.

I provided my original child benefit award letter. That’s it. Trust me, I’m cynical, I don’t like giving my personal details away to anyone.

They are fully gdpr compliant too.

They also wanted to do the cavity wall insulation too but I’ve had that done already. Turns out it’s the wrong stuff and they want to replace it with polystyrene balls now. Someone out there is making a lot of money from government grants.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Checked on boilergrants.org.uk and don’t qualify due to earnings – which is a good thing to be honest, I don’t know how the op managed it without a question about earnings

I’m guessing the company’s doing it are making money so its probably in their interests to get people signed up however they can!

Dickyboy

For the record I’m no where near high enough earnings to not get child benefit. 😛

loddrik
    Free Member

Just spent 3k getting a new bloody boiler installed…. ☹️

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Thanks very much.
    My sister is in need of a new boiler that she can’t afford cos of the kiddies.
    Have put her on to this, hopefully works out

timmys

Is this what I should be looking at (pdfs at bottom)?
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/energy-company-obligation-2018-22-eco3-guidance-delivery

If so it states child benefit only qualifies under certain earnings. The document updated March 2019 does appear to alter this.

Drac

damascus
    Free Member

I think the earnings part is because you can claim child benefit and earn the higher tax bracket and just repay it on your tax return rather than cancel it. You are not entitled to child benefit but you still receive it.

When you sign up you need the child benefit number so they can check it against the computer records.

Only lower tax earners on child benefit qualify.

Drac, I only have one child and we are on more than that. There must be several versions running at the moment.

Drac

That’s from the link above.

Poopscoop

I’m right in thinking that a mid terrace does not qualify for the boiler scheme?

midlifecrashes

Thanks for the heads-up. Daughter on full PIP benefit and heat on lots because there’s always someone in. I’ll get ringing round on Monday morning, anyone know the best folk to ring for South Yorks? I’ll start with EDF, our gas supplier.

cdoc
    Free Member

We seem to, poopscoop. Mid terrace, three bed with a Mother in law to qualify us, as no kids.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

So how do you start the ball rolling if you qualify?

somafunk

Government link to affordable warmth obligation here

energy saving trust in Scotland

or

Boiler grants in England

other grants available for insulation/windows/doors etc, google is your friend

timmys

Using that link above for England, if I put child benefit and earning over £30k then I don’t qualify. If I put under £30k I do qualify. So still not seeing any evidence that income is not a factor when claiming based on child benefit.

somafunk

A novel idea i know but bare with me on this one …….Rather than go back n’ forward posting on here why not just give them a call and let them run through their phone call energy survey (bout 30 mins) to see if you qualify.

Drac

Because it can be done online, the government site, boiler shceme sites and even the OPs flying say there’s a cap.

somafunk

Well in Scotland it can’t be done online, you have to phone them up for a 30min conversation as they run through your house from top to bottom regarding electrical/heating type and usage then you get the first survey appointment where the house is assessed and you are told what’s available then a further full technical fit survey outlining the exact work to be carried out, seems a more accurate way to determine whether or not you meet the qualifying criteria than filling in an online form

Poopscoop

cdoc

We seem to, poopscoop. Mid terrace, three bed with a Mother in law to qualify us, as no kids.

Thanks for the reply bud. I’ll have to look into this. Thanks also op.

Poopscoop

Just went on boilergrants.org.uk….

It said they “can’t help in our area right now as government grants have been cut.”

We live in North West Kent.

Is that it or are other routes to this grant available?

EDIT: Just tried the Each Home Counts website linked to above, that says my local authority has no active heating grants. Ah Bugger.

Based on income/benefits we would qualify from what I can tell. We just live in the wrong area it seems… So a bit of a post code lottery. 😟

votchy
    Free Member

Obviously if you are a higher tax earner you don’t qualify for child benefit.

But higher earners can still claim child benefit but get taxed on it so might still work out cheaper to get taxed 50% on your child benefit so I could claim child benefit of £996, pay £498 tax and get a new boiler that would be in excess of £2k if I did it myself!!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

FYI we claim child benefit but have an income over the threshold listed on websites. I just rang the guy and he’s convinced the earning cap has been removed – he’s visiting at the weekend so I guess we’ll see?!

Crag
    Free Member

What’s the number you rang RRR? Is it the warmer energy services in Liverpool. 0151 5452627

I’m based in Wakefield so wondering if they’ll travel this far over?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Crag – nope, it’s the number on the flyer posted up top. The guy I spoke to said he’d visit us personally but then another firm would probably do the install.

I’m just south of Sheffield so not a million miles from you – worth a call!

Crag
    Free Member

Thanks RRR, I’ll give him a call.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘PSA free boiler’ is closed to new replies.