Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • PSA: Frame Bearings How Not
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Where do we start? Don’t do any of the things in this video! At one point he forces a bearing out in the wrong direction, completely stripping out the recess. My, oh, my, banging on unsupported lugs with a hammer wonderful.

Clickbait goal achieved……

Tiboy

is he actually that dumb, or is it put on for clickbait??

trail_rat
    Free Member

Seen worse suggested on here.

blakec
    Free Member

I think it’s a stealth ad to make you use your lbs when you don’t know what your doing. There’s no way he should be that naive with the tools in that work shop. Though saying that money doesn’t buy common sense.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I think it’s a stealth ad to make you use your lbs when you don’t know what your doing.

Haha could be.

Any other guesses just for a laugh.

darkslider
    Free Member

It must be a workshop he’s borrowed as they’re blatantly not his tools. Who on earth calls deep and shallow sockets ‘big and small’?

greeny30
    Free Member

Yes, he is actually that dumb, its hard to watch Harry work on his bikes, totally clueless, mo money than sense, he’s not short of money, ex pro BMXer and owns his own company and gets some sh!t send to him for free, perks of having a YouTube channel.

Poopscoop

Not watched this yet but is this the guy who deliberately fits headsets by hammering them onto concrete etc to wind up people that criticised him in the past?

If so, meh, not watching the fool as it’s deliberate incompetence.

Genuine incompetence, that’s another matter!👍

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I know Sam does it with a certain panache. Sledge hammer head and painted stanchions for the win.

Poopscoop

^^ Ah yeah, it’s a guy called Sam isn’t it?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Oh no tell us the secret pretty please?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

George Lazenby was it isn’t it?

kayak23

Do not EVER buy a bike off Harry Main! 😂

He’s a nice lad. I used to watch his channel a fair bit when he was first discovering mountainbiking as he had this infectious enthusiasm for it all.

Don’t watch it anymore really as it’s basically just him #unboxing new crap he’s bought.

He really does need to stay away from the tools though.

Sam Pilgrim does what he does with bricks and curbs and stuff in the full knowledge that he’s getting a rise out of people and plays off it.

Unfortunately, Harry on the other hand is just a ham-fisted numpty with all the gear and unfortunately, next to no idea.
    As he says though (expensive) lesson learned.

Shows what happens if you take mechanical advice from YouTube comments😳

dhrider
    Free Member

Watched this a few days ago and cringed. The next video is his new seat stays being delivered as he completely wrecked one.

He def shouldn’t be near tools but his clickbait title got me to watch it out of curiosity.

BigJohn

This reminds me of a video I return to when I need cheering up.
    “I-teach-u how to fit a double hinge” or similar.
    Its a bloke who’s never fitted one, or even asked how to fit one, making a complete bodge of it and gouging big lumps out of his door frame showing us “the right way to do it”.
    And then getting upset at the comments from real carpenters.
    I think I’ll go and watch it again and read some more of his responses.

teenrat

As above, his videos are painful to watch. He is constantly buying, modifying and rebuilding and never actually rides. Content is awful.

In a recent video he built a bike and copper greased everything whilst his DIY skills when building his workshop were, well…..

I don’t understand how he has just short of 1M subscribers, a damn sight more than say the 50 to 01 channel. Just shows that people would rather watch poorly edited videos with awful content rather than well edited videos of amazing riding.

jabbi
    Free Member

For some reason when I read the title I knew what this was going to be about!
    Teenrat, watch some of his earlier BMX videos and you’ll see where his following came from, very talented on the little wheels! Unfortunately he seems to have gone off BMX recently and his content has suffered, I was shouting at the TV when he was trying to extract the horst pivot bearing!

leegee

Numpty, however keeping the Doberman still and calm while doing something like that is no mean feat.

You would think he knows someone he could ask for some advice before doing something like this.

CheesybeanZ

is he actually that dumb

Cap on backwards
    Face tattoo
    Vice in the middle of the workbench

Yes , yes he is that dumb.

Tiboy

Genuinely amazed, when did talent get superseded by numpties like this getting over a million followers. Strange world we live in! Retreating back under my rock now…

tagnut69
    Free Member

he might be a massive bell end but he has managed to get a bunch of middle aged men talking about him and got views on his youtube channel,

DrP

“i assume bearings come out either side..”

#facepalm… what a numpty…

DrP

kayak23

Bit too much knocking going on.
    He’s certainly not mechanically-minded and does do some numptyish things to his bikes/vans/house/face, but he’s a genuinely sound bloke and shit hot on a bmx.

I imagine he didn’t ride too much dirt growing up on a bmx and so gears, suspension and hydraulic brakes are not going to be his forte.
    He isn’t afraid to have a go(perhaps he shouldn’t with some things 😂 ) and admits he’s being a numpty too.

He’s got a big following on YouTube because of bmx but also because he’s enthusiastic and doesn’t take himself too seriously.
    His videos aren’t for me anymore really but I dip in now and again.

I wonder how many of the I.T warriors around here are similarly skilled mechanically? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

He may be a numpty, but look at that toolkit all those (these?) youtube views have bought him… as well as the T3 , the Golf and more n+1s than most us could dream of. What a dope.

Gunz
    Free Member

The way he uses every tool in that video and the clutter he works in just gives me a headache.

endomick
    Free Member

Follow him down BPW when he’s filming, he’ll definitely give you a headache, unless you bring ear plugs.🗣, mind you I’ve never met a quiet scouser.😄

endomick
    Free Member

He’s got his frame back from the powder coaters, I had to switch off when he started putting bearings in with a hammer.

kayak23

😂
    Put down the tools Harry!

andybrad

jesus christ

SirHC

Thats the bearings toast already.

Can’t wait till he mutilates the steerer tube.

fasthaggis

I have read all the posts but didn’t watch any of the films.
    Does he at any point use an angle grinder?
    If not, then in my books Kryton still wins.

🙂 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Even the dog gets anxious. “Stop Dad!”

jairaj

I don’t understand his logic!

If he and some 2nd hand eBay special from 1999 and was trying to get a bike up and running as cheap as possible then sure go at it with a hammer and screwdriver.

But he’s clearly not afraid of spending a few bob, that frame and paint job must’ve cost a bit and the other tools he has etc… a few bearing tools to remove and install is hardly going to break the bank.

Absolutely baffling!

oikeith

Also coming from a BMX to MTB history I can see why he did those things, BMX’s with USA or Mid BBs you just used to knock out the bearings with a socket extended and then hammer the bearings in with a piece of wood!

I once went to replace the bearings in my profile hub and totally killed it, I have a complete fear of doing bearings on any part of my MTB because of this!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

My brother has a multi-purpose tapping stick with Alpha written on the stale, it’s for “fixing” Italy’s finest Alpha boilers!

daver27
    Free Member

Managed a couple of mins, then had to switch off. Utter bollo##s from start till “can’t stand anymore”
    Seems YouTube idiocy has now reached bikes. Wonderful.

argee

Probably worth him getting a collaboration with a bikeshop or the likes to get the skills, we all learn through on the job stuff, how many folk really understand frames with double row bearings have that separation lip, seen many folk attempt this with the socket trick instead of using a puller, same with many other things.

At least he’s not losing the head when doing it, if it does go tits up then he buys some new seat stays, shouldn’t cost a huge amount.

endomick
    Free Member

The fact that he continues to cock up and has not learnt to maybe download the relevant manual or Google how to do something first, I can just see him whacking the fork arch instead of the bolts at the bottom of the lowers, in a vain attempt at a lower leg service, he’s already stripped the threads on one of his forks post mount. He over tightens bolts then checks them with a torque wrench, total nob head.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The fact that he continues to cock up and has not learnt to maybe download the relevant manual or Google how to do something first,

he managed to index his gears

hooli

People like this worry me when it comes to buying second hand bikes. You have no idea the horrors hidden and waiting for the next bearing change or ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Frame Bearings How Not’ is closed to new replies.