Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • PSA for woodburner fans and other log fetishists – Aldi content
  • maxray
    Free Member

Surprised you could get two feet in it! #microfeet

chunkypaul
    Free Member

bought the log splitter and the moisture meter this morning

returned the splitter this afternoon 😀 it’s garbage, wasn’t the only one returned either

grum
    Free Member

I thank you

🙂

To reduce the risk of running the stove too cold (flu may tar up) or too hot (can warp).
    It’s a really useful bit of kit which allows even mrs j to use the stove without me worrying!

Ta. What’s a safe operating range then? We’ve had a burner for years but I never knew about this!

Stoner
    Free Member

250-450degF
    150-250degC

You will be losing some heat up the flue, but in order to prevent tar/condensates forming you need to accept a certain amount of losses keeping the flue gas temp up.

quote:

115 °C – 245°C (240°F – 475°F)
    The flue gases should be in this temperature band for the safest, most efficient and most economical operation of your stove.

Below 115°C (240°F)
    This is below the condensation point of wood gases and may cause the build up of tar in the chimney, darken the stove glass and result in the inefficient burning of fuel.

Above 245 °C (475°F)
    Too hot. Heat will be wasted up the chimney. Excess heat may damage the stove (voiding the warranty) or may ignite an existing accumulation of tar, resulting in a chimney fire.

http://greymetal.co.uk/operation.php

grum
    Free Member

Thanks.

rendo
    Free Member

I have a similar log splitter to that one, and its ok, but only for those logs that split easily with an axe.

Those grenade wedges are well worth having, they are great for splitting those stubborn logs

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah rendo. Any that were already cracking nicely were ok in it. I prefer the manliness of swinging anf axe though!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Interestingly our stove manufacturer (Clearview) recommends that the thermometer is fitted to the stove and not the flue – which suits me as you can’t see the flue on either of our stoves.

timbur
    Free Member

Worth picking up some Dickies socks whilst your down there.
    3 pairs of thick anti bacteria ones for £5-6.
    I’m loaded for winter now :O)

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘PSA for woodburner fans and other log fetishists – Aldi content’ is closed to new replies.