Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • PSA for woodburner fans and other log fetishists – Aldi content
  • nbt

Aldi are jumping on the woodsplitting bus, with loads of stuff for those who like to prepare for a good conflagration

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-5th-september/

ski
    Free Member

Hmmm, that foot operated log splitter might be handy, anyone used one?

Drac

My parents had a similar one they got from somewhere it lasted about 5 minutes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

that log splitter looks shite – might be ok for soft wood twigs but theres no structure to that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

stoner will be wanting one of them thermometors though.

Stoner
    Free Member

🙂 @ trail_rat I was going to ask nbt to get me a couple and post them, but I think I might be able to work a trip to Tewkesbury Aldi in later this week…

nbt

There were a few thermometers in Aldi this morning – maybe thirty or so, I reckon they’ll go quite quickly

Only two of the foot operated log spltters. I decided not to invest

LoCo
    Free Member

Up to 1.2 tonnes through that frame?, mmmm.

globalti
    Free Member

Oooh I fancy the thermostat and the moisture meter. More toys for boys! Off to Aldi at lunch time.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Up to 1.2 tonnes through that frame?, mmmm.

1.2 tonnes of pressure. Which isn’t 1.2 tonnes. Or particularly meaningful.

I use on of these:

Brilliant bit of kit.

jimster
    Free Member

Always amazes me that Aldi/Lidl sell axes over the counter, can’t imagine Tesco’s/Morrison’s doing the same…. 😕

sharkbait
    Free Member

Actually they could be quite good for collecting the 100’s of apples I’ve got falling all over the lawn.

AlexSimon

I’m right in thinking that magnetic thermometer wont stick to my titanium stove pipe aren’t I?

jam-bo

Always amazes me that Aldi/Lidl sell axes over the counter, can’t imagine Tesco’s/Morrison’s doing the same….

why not? homebase/B+Q do?

willard

That’s nothing, this Sunday they’ve got 40″ wood lathes for sale for 90 quid! Not sure I could sneak one of those into my garage without my wife noticing though.

Stoner
    Free Member

Just back from Tewkesbury Aldi.

Loads of thermometers (-3 for me), splitters and moisture meters in store.

I was eyeing the ash vacuum bin as I dont like my current one, but the one in Aldi is not sufficiently different to make me think that it wouldnt suffer from the same problem – overly stiff hose and crap hose connector to the bin – so didnt pick one up.

Have just realised (doh) that the magnetic thermometer wont fix to any of my stainless steel flue ( 🙄 ) but I can fit it on some other parts so should be OK. wont be testing it just yet at least until this indian summer weather breaks!

globalti
    Free Member

The thermometer is pretty cheap but might help me to educate Gti Junior in the art of lighting the stove so he can do it when he gets back from school.

Stoner
    Free Member

it is cheap, but it’s no differently technically than the Stovax ones that cost £12-13 on Amazon.

Its a basic design, that I couldnt understand why it cost so much. Three cheers for Aldi. I’ve got 3, 1 for the woodburner, one for the boiler/furnace and the third I will give to a friend for his boiler.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Would one of those log grenade things and a sledge hammer be any good getting a tree stump out of the ground?

globalti
    Free Member

No, call somebody with a stump-grinder.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ +1

If you really want to have a go at it you should probably get hold of a big steel spike, a solid spade and a mattock.

glupton1976
    Free Member

I’m considering going down the split the thing sufficiently to turn it into a swedish candle and get rid of it that way.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id be surprised if you could get it dry enough to burn if it’s sitting the ground.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Shouldnt be relying on the magnet on the thermo to hold it anyway. They do fall off eventually 😉

Get some fine gauge wire and tie the thermometor on – you wont see it 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

Id be surprised if you could get it dry enough to burn if it’s sitting the ground.

You might be surprised how stubborn I can be with jobs like that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

everything burns……………………with sufficient thermite

miketually
    Free Member

Always amazes me that Aldi/Lidl sell axes over the counter, can’t imagine Tesco’s/Morrison’s doing the same….

why not? homebase/B+Q do?

In Homebase, I once bought an axe, a saw, a big bolt/padlock, some gloves and plastic sheeting, in one trip. I assume that set off an alarm at the Home Office?

Stoner
    Free Member

In Homebase, I once bought an axe, a saw, a big bolt/padlock, some gloves and plastic sheeting

No gaffer tape? Amateur.

*thunk, thunk, thunk*
    Errrm , excuse me, I think there’s, er, something fallen over in the cellar…er… BRB!

bedmaker

You might be surprised how stubborn I can be with jobs like that.

I was stubborn enough to destroy a chain slitting this elm stump, rig up a tube feeding air from my compressor and put a bag and a half of coal in the hole.
    I figured the intense heat from the coal would dry out t he wood sufficiently for it to then burn.

Not a roaring success, probably got rid of about half the mass of the thing.

thegreatape
    Free Member

When I bought a thermometer for my stove I noticed that there were stovetop ones and stovepipe ones. Now, I appreciate 200* is 200* whether it’s on the pipe or the stove, but the too hot too cold just right bits might be wrong. Or something.

AlexSimon

Anyone know what colour my Ti stove pipe should be glowing to be in the right temperature range? 😯

grum
    Free Member

Why do you want the thermometers, just out of interest?

I’m right in thinking that magnetic thermometer wont stick to my titanium stove pipe aren’t I?

What a brilliantly STW sentence. 😛

AlexSimon

What a brilliantly STW sentence.

I thank you 🙂

organic355
    Free Member

Did anyone by the vacuum ash bucket thingy? Bought it and it doesn’t fit my Hoover (dyson) nossle and can’t see how any would fit unless they were really small??

The hole it is supposed to fit in is really small, is it for German hovers which have different nozzles?

geoffj

Why do you want the thermometers, just out of interest?

To reduce the risk of running the stove too cold (flu may tar up) or too hot (can warp).
    It’s a really useful bit of kit which allows even mrs j to use the stove without me worrying!

Northwind

jimster – Member

My local tesco sells axes. Not very good ones though but then I don’t suppose murderers and teenage gangmembers select their axes based on the quality of the handle.

northernmatt

Went to Aldi earlier with the nipper. I hadn’t noticed that someone had picked up an axe and left it in the big bin thing that they put chocolate in at the end of the till, I did notice though when he picked it up and started waving it around.

maxray
    Free Member

Got one of the log splitters. Worked ok but could do with being fixed to the floor. Think the cheaper axe I picked up at the same time will be more useful tbh.

spooky_b329

I got the log splitter. Its useless, managed to split a couple of logs I’d already split with the axe, but couldn’t get a log to split even with both feet bouncing on it. (to be fair I was having to swing a splitting maul from above my head to get them to split earlier this year) Plus the rear legs have play so the whole thing rocks over to the side when you stand on it. Even sharpened the splitter thing to take the paint off it.

Its going back tomorrow. Thought it might be OK as its almost identical to the Sealey branded £55 one.

I did pay the deposit for my Stove fitting yesterday though…eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Firefox 5 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘PSA for woodburner fans and other log fetishists – Aldi content’ is closed to new replies.