• This topic has 104 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Pyro.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • PSA for the knuckle draggers
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

You must be a blast in the pub….

would rather chew the fat with someone who’s opening gambit isn’t along the lines of “so what do you drive then?”

fasthaggis

Thanks for that link and inspiration Alex,I am going to crack on with that novel about adopting a native American manatee. The story about how it was saved from a bad gang of vegans and is nursed back to health with pomegranate and peanut butter sandwiches.

It will also be the only manatee to successfully grow a moustache.

weeksy

would rather chew the fat with someone who’s opening gambit isn’t along the lines of “so what do you ride then?”

Hmmmm yeah 🙂

All this political correctness posturing, the not allowed to think of women in a particular way is just daft to me. Men are men, women are women, simple as that. If that makes me a knuckle dragger then so be it…. My missus likes the fact i’m manly and i like the fact she paints her nails and does make up on herself… I don’t see this as a bad thing.

As for the other point of What does my child think of me…. You’d have to ask anyone who’s ever seen me and him together, but i’m pretty secure in my relationship with him too 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

It was national orgasm day at the weekend.

(not joking)

Cougar

My friends like me and two sons think I’m a hero.

Everyone’s friends like them, by definition, you great gallah.  Young boys blindly idolising their fathers is far from unusual either.

All this political correctness posturing

“Political correctness,” is essence, is simply Wheaton’s Law.  No posturing required.

Cougar

We had a party to celebrate, loads of people came.

nerd
    Free Member

I’m going to find some social scientists and teach them some statistics.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Young boys blindly idolising their fathers i far from unusual either.

It is in my house.

My boys think I’m an old prick because I switch their Xboxes off and make them eat broccoli.

maccruiskeen

Someone should send those boys a memo about white male privilege

Yea – explain to them that privilege will play a role in what happens next

funkmasterp

I’m going to find some social scientists and teach them some statistics.

Point them towards the two Beagles thread, see if you can break them.

Should’ve been national 48 hour day day 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(not joking)

Come again?

gobuchul
    Free Member

My friends like me and two sons think I’m a hero.

What a strange post!

Is there anything you have done that is actually heroic or is it just standard boys looking up to their dad?

you great gallah.

Cougar – I hope you are going to give yourself a warning for insulting GT. Loud mouthed idiot is pretty insulting.

mefty
    Free Member

For example our political system is full of men who studied PPE at Cambridge 40 years ago.

I am struggling to think of anyone.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Yea – explain to them that privilege will play a role in what happens next

For most/many their “next”;

The forces

The criminal justice system

Minimum wage/zero hours

The trades

perchypanther
    Free Member

you great gallah.

Today’s the ideal day to be discussing a large, pink cockatoo. 😉

For most/many their “next”;

The forces

The criminal justice system

Minimum wage/zero hours

The trades

You mean not all white males will go on to have successful international careers as scientists/engineers/IT mangers and get to waste time on STW?  Still, I suppose someone as to deliver all my Amazon parcels.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m confused by this thread.

For years, we’ve tried to explain to the ‘hard of thinking’ that Women’s Day isn’t  ‘Anti-Men Day’. Now there’s a Men’s Day and the argument seems to be, we don’t need it because, well Men, especially White ones (lord knows how race got pulled into this) are bestowed an easy life from birth, cause we’re all part of some club and we look after each other and all that.

We should just shut up, enjoy our privilege and carry on.

Which is a great idea, it’s worked well for decades, centuries probably.

Well apart from 4,300 or so Men who committed suicide last year, 3 times as many as Women, which seems at odds with the fact that twice as many Women as Men will seek help with mental health, it’s almost as if Men would rather not talk to someone when things aren’t going well.

Or self-medicate with Alcohol, which results in them representing 65% of all Alcohol related deaths in the UK, they’re also twice as likely to be dependant on Alcohol.

Which leads to other problems like homelessness, 85% of homeless people are male.

But you know, it’s all about thick as shit “when’s Men’s Day” moaners and that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For years, we’ve tried to explain to the ‘hard of thinking’ that Women’s Day isn’t  ‘Anti-Men Day’. Now there’s a Men’s Day and the argument seems to be, we don’t need it because, well Men, especially White ones (lord knows how race got pulled into this) are bestowed an easy life from birth, cause we’re all part of some club and we look after each other and all that.

Or the actual middle ground where we can be grateful for what we have, look after others and raise awareness without running off to the JP lecture notes.

Gunz
    Free Member

Is there anything you have done that is actually heroic or is it just standard boys looking up to their dad?

Prince Charles visited my work one day and I dropped a fart at my desk whilst he was being briefed.  My son emphatically hailed me as a hero and spread news of my valour around the playground the next day.

craig5

All joking aside is it “mans day today” ? I didn’t get a card?

tomparkin

Apparently so!

wikipedia

Who knew?!

Well, here’s to me!  Whoopee!

Pyro

Who knew?!

Richard Herring.

geetee1972
    Free Member

What a strange post!

If you have children, then you will know the answer to that question.

CountZero

All joking aside is it “mans day today” ? I didn’t get a card?

Neither did I, or even an email of congratulations. 👌🏻☹️

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ok, it was spli- pea soup and a sarnie, I can’t lie.

moose
    Free Member

First day of a MHFA facilitators course today, that’s me doing my bit to try and help someone who needs it. Too many guys iIve served with are taking their lives post-service. So yay, our own day to think about the pretty somber stats. The rest of the noise, well, it’s just that.

sirromj

Same with white [privilege]. Advantages. It doesn’t mean you’re rich. It doesn’t mean you’re luckier than a lucky black guy. Nobody wants you to be crippled with guilt. Nobody has ever wanted that, or means those things.

It means you have an advantage, and all anyone is asking is that you *get* that. Once you get that, it’s pretty straightforward to all the further implications.

click

geetee1972
    Free Member

Same with white [privilege]. Advantages. It doesn’t mean you’re rich. It doesn’t mean you’re luckier than a lucky black guy. Nobody wants you to be crippled with guilt. Nobody has ever wanted that, or means those things.

It means you have an advantage, and all anyone is asking is that you *get* that. Once you get that, it’s pretty straightforward to all the further implications.

click

The world is not composed of tall people and short people – so, please, tell me, how tall is ‘tall’ and what are the advantages that are conferred at that height?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The world is not composed of tall people and short people – so, please, tell me, how tall is ‘tall’ and what are the advantages that are conferred at that height?

Yeah, cause no not really…. gender and race are the 2 most distinctive things people seem to judge on.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Can you explain how “toxic masculinity” is a bigoted term?

I don’t think it means what you think it does.

cornholio98
    Free Member

toxic masculinity

Is that when it hurts to pee

sbob
    Free Member

Well I had no idea it was International Men’s Day until I opened this thread, which is ironic as it appears to be full of ****.

😉

cromolyolly
    Free Member

gender and race are the 2 most distinctive things people seem to judge on.

Those are the two things that everyone talks about judging on.  In reality people are constantly judging on height, symetry of facial features, colour of clothing, you name it. They are not aware of those biases which is worse.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I had a BBQ and a week day (week evening) beer. Did it with my boys and showed the 6-year-old how to use matches for the first time. I thought about how to be a positive male role model to my boys and class.

Yes, white male privilege exists. However, as an educator, I see female privilege in action daily. Financial privilege (I work in an expensive school). Aesthetic privilege.

The notion of toxic masculinity, stale, male and pale etc make me frustrated as does the idea that celebrating or acknowledging or thinking about men’s day is for knuckle draggers. Pussification is a real issue. Celebrate your masculinity. Celebrate your femininity. Celebrate your nationality and race and sexuality and dietary ‘requirements’. Wheaton’s Law will suffice in all situations; Kant’s Categorical Imperative if you want to be a little fancier.

funkmasterp

For example our political system is full of men who studied PPE at Cambridge 40 years ago.

They studied personal protective equipment?

squirrelking
    Free Member

And what about the men and women who feel neither masculine or feminine? What then? When do they get a look in?

That’s the point about toxic masculinity, it’s rubbishing the notion that a lack of masculinity in one way or another does not make you less of a man. Like talking about your feelings, wonder how many male suicides we could prevent if we did that more? It’s nothing to do with saying traditional masculine traits are bad, only that absolute adherence to them can be.

funkmasterp

All joking aside well put squirrelking.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

But, squirrelking, absolute adherence to anything is stupid.

There are male traits and female traits. Men are more likely to have more male traits. Women are more likely to have more female traits. There’s nothing wrong with celebrating them.

I think we we disagree on the premise. Why toxic masculinity? If I were a beard-wearing, wood-chopping, hunter-gatherer type, why am I toxic? These are masculine traits but there’s nothing inherently bad there.

Do you believe in toxic femininity? I’d say that many typically feminine traits are ‘toxic’. Would you?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘PSA for the knuckle draggers’ is closed to new replies.