Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • PSA For Photography fayns: Don McCullin @ IWM
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Went today; Awesome. That is all.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/exhibitions/shaped-by-war-photographs-by-don-mccullin

One of the greatest ever/living photographers.

Go. Witness. Feed your mind.

donsimon
    Free Member

Not easy to look at.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

All the more reason to go and see the exhibition, Don.

Incredibly moving. Not often Elf is moved to silence.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up. Will head over tomorrow. His work is amazing. Is it only the war work, or any of his other stuff as well?

higthepig
    Free Member

Not easy to look at

+1, and a good job that someone like him was able to capture what he has with so much skill.

MrSmith
    Free Member

shame they never let him go to the falklands.
    and now the sunday times mag is full of lifestyle celebrity inanity instead of real stories.

kilo

His autobiography, Unreasonable behaviour is well worth a read

deluded
    Free Member

Elf,

Check out James Nachtwey a great photojournalist.

He’s shot some very powerful and harrowing images. The sort of stuff that moves people to action – like trying to address the Romanian orphanage scandals.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Flash; it’s mostly the war pics, but there’s a few other pics as well. Tbh, you won’t even notice those, so moving is the rest of the exhibition. Just harrowing, but has to be seen.

You will have dust in your eyes. Trust me.

Had the privilege to meet the great man once; so humble and honest.

A man of incredible bravery, who went, unarmed, into some of the most vicious combat situations and dangerous places on Earth.

So that all us brave keyboard warriors can see what war is really about.

Deluded; thanks, will check that out.

Ewan
    Free Member

I went last weekend – as pointed out – amazing.

On a slightly geeky note it was very interesting to see the photographers printing notes for the last picture that Elfin posted up (shell shocked marine). Lots of post-it’s attached to a proof print asking for relatively small areas to be burnt or darkened as appropiate. I always assumed it was more or less as out of the camera in the old days – apparently not – analogue photoshop!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Elf – thanks for the heads up.

I’ve just checked and it seems to be on until mid April and I’ll definately be down in the big city before then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve just checked and it seems to be on until mid April and I’ll definately be down in the big city before then.

I live just a little way over the river, Sue, so let me know when you’re heading down! 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Ewan,

Also check out Ansel Adams: he used lots of processing techniques to get the final image.

Film photography is full of post-processing techniques and Photoshop is just the modern version.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Also check out Ansel Adams: he used lots of processing techniques to get the final image.

Film photography is full of post-processing techniques and Photoshop is just the modern version.

^^This^^

Adams made some astonishing images.

Can I also plug the photographic work of an author now? Bruce Chatwin. Amazing writer, and took some stunning photos on his travels.

Sue_W
    Free Member

CFH – will do 🙂

Also would like to see the exhibition of Annie Leibovitz’s new work, totally different approach to her previous photography, on at the Hamilton’s Gallery:

http://www.hamiltonsgallery.com/

Love Ansel Adams work – probably one of the best photographers IMHO.

emsz
    Free Member

That picture of the soldier is really amazing. You can see the look of horror in his face.

The child in the first picture is awful 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Emsz, his work is harrowing, disturbing and thought provoking and at times, I agree “awful”. However, we need to see what “awful” is so we understand. We may never go there, we may never see that, but I think that photography like this has the power to make everyone sit up, take notice and above all, to think about what is happening in the world.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Dunno if you guys saw the Rankin telly prog about the photographers for now defunct Life mag.. It’s here and well worth a watch..

[video]http://vimeo.com/33132931[/video]

Sue_W
    Free Member

edited

MrSmith
    Free Member
    weare138
    Free Member

I got a bargain at a charity sale, The Eye of War book for £2. Got home and opened it up only to find it had been signed by Mr Mcullin but also Phillip jones Griffiths and John Keegan. Mcullins seen some pain in his life, Jeebus.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

@Sue, just up the road…..
    http://www.chimes-of-pimlico.co.uk/ciders.htm

🙂

Oh, and do you want a job? 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Emsz, his work is harrowing, disturbing and thought provoking and at times, I agree “awful”. However, we need to see what “awful” is so we understand. We may never go there, we may never see that, but I think that photography like this has the power to make everyone sit up, take notice and above all, to think about what is happening in the world.

True dat.

kudos100
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up Elf. I will being going in February. I listened to a radio 4 show about his life, and he seems an amazing man.

mashiehood
    Free Member

the vulture stalking a child always brings a tear to my eyes, we really have no idea how lucky we are 🙁

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up, must get to see it. I can remember as a kid seeing his pics and others from Vietnam on the front pages of the Mirror 🙁

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘PSA For Photography fayns: Don McCullin @ IWM’ is closed to new replies.