Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • PSA for Marple / Strines area riders: ANOTHER Trail closure warning
  • wiganer
    Free Member

Jesus ‘kin wept! At least it looks like it’s only around that junction. Genuinely don’t understand why they’ve done it, wasn’t in a bad state at all.

beagle
    Free Member

Genuinely don’t understand why they’ve done it

So we can brake on a six pence after chipping down the descent at Mach 10?

Seriously though, I’m slowing up at that tarmac bit after descending through the golf course, anticipating horses/red socks coming from the right . This work may facilitate bike users keeping speed up at that point. Just like speeds were way faster down strawberry descent after they widened/fattened it last time, meaning less capable riders flying down a smooth section of trail which was loose with chippings and difficult to stop without skidding etc. Doesn’t help user conflict IMO.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Was planning on doing some bits round there tomorrow, so is the likes of strawberry descent now not worth it or?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nbt

Strawberry is closed

carlos
    Free Member

Holy ****!!!!! That’s just …….

Sorry words fail me. Any idea how far along to the left next to the embankment it goes?

scaled
    Free Member

That’s bloody vandalism, awful for taking a horse up as well.

BadlyWiredDog

Wow… that’s quite extraordinary. I might nip over and have a look tomorrow. It males the Aspenshaw Hall stuff look quite sympathetic.

beagle
    Free Member

I’m still running into old metal cat eye holders in the surface at Aspenshaw. Shocking.

scaled
    Free Member

Aspenshaw was ****ed when the had to resurface it though

beagle
    Free Member

Agreed.

BadlyWiredDog

That and the farmer at the top wanted to be able to use it as an access road, which I’m guessing is now why it’s quite as wide as it is. Takes a lot of drainage though and never survived after previous repairs, whereas it now incorporates storm drains. But I’m not sure the degree of destruction should be used to justify over-zealous repairs.

BadlyWiredDog

So.. having wombled over for a closer look as part of a gentle amble around, I have to say, I’m kind of baffled. It’s not really tarmac anyway, more tamped down hardcore stuff and I can’t imagine it’s going to last very long when the rain and run-off gets at it.

I don’t think it’s ‘ruined’ any interesting riding, but it just seems completely out of keeping with the surroundings and sets a slightly worrying precedent, though that’s nothing new for Stockport Council given what they did to The Banks zig-zags a few years back.

But on balance, colour me non-plussed 🙄

Bunnyhop

BWD – did you get to see the BW up Lily Bank? Which is just a long strip of the stuff at the bottom of (Strawberry Hill) Shielan descent.

BadlyWiredDog

Nope, I had tired legs and couldn’t really be bothered with the drag back up the hill because I am lazy. I’ll pop out and have a look some time this week though. It’s all very strange.

Perhaps they’ll build a roundabout next, that would be quite cool and allow for better trail user integration…

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

It is very odd, I ran round there this morning
    The road/ bridleway across the golf course has already had some sketchy gravel patching the holes, the bit up the side of the houses towards the cross (strawberry?) seems really odd- idiots will now fly down whereas before it self policed decent riders only or runners- was lightly used in my experience, now likely much heavier use
    The bit down the bottom by the railway I have no idea what they’re up to- not tough enough for vehicles to turn on, and surely they aren’t going to go right up the hill? Or right along to roman lakes where there are far worse bits of track

BadlyWiredDog

the bit up the side of the houses towards the cross (strawberry?) seems really odd- idiots will now fly down whereas before it self policed decent riders only or runners- was lightly used in my experience, now likely much heavier use

I suspect people will just ride the zig-zags as a downhill, which is a more interesting track unless you’re on a cross bike. More likely to be used as a climb I think. The other bit is just baffling – conceptual art maybe?

baxy

Has anyone been up there this week? Just wondering if the closures are still in place.

Cheers

nbt

Been out today to check it out. Thankfully the “repairs” extend down towards Windybottom farm from the point pictured, so the fast descent down “strawberry” is untouched and is now completely open, as long as you turn left at the bottom back towards Strines Station. It was possible to turn right and get through to Roman Lakes today, but when the workmen are there I think it will be closed. They should be finished soon as there’s just a few metres of top surface left but in truth it’s one of the worst jobs I’ve seen. The damage done was due to water erosion from the water running down the hill, which they’ve completely failed to sort out, so the work will probably last months. The path is not wide enough for the tractor to get through to the fields, nor for two horses to pass side-by-side. Worse, the top surface is made of a mix of road planings (which are not supposed to be used where they may end up in a watercourse, according to the horse rider to whom we were chatting about the poor job) and recycled plastics, which also raises concerns about the plastics ending up in a watercourse. And, of course, as we now have a wide flat surface, the increased speed of cyclist will lead to an increase in perceived and perhaps even actual trail conflict.

BadlyWiredDog

Just in case anyone was wondering what had happened to this, a friend rode it the other day and the weird asphalted track has apparently been extended pretty much as far as the tunnel/bridge just beyond the farmlet with the dogs and horses and stuff,

Admittedly that whole section has been quite chewed up by water erosion and a section of perma-mud, but the new bit has all the subtle situational empathy as turning up to a funeral in a pair of Speedos and a rubber cap. It just seems weird and extraordinarily out of place.

Should be super quick on a cross bike though 🙂

kelvin

Hmm… used to stick to BP & BOATS mostly when I lived around there… but the more they suburbanise the RoW network, the more they’re asking people to ride off-piste to enjoy a bit of mountain biking.

Bunnyhop

The council have also put new surface down on the other side of the river. Which is the BW over the Roman bridge and leading along to the steep climb up to Strines road.

Esme
    Free Member

The latest closure is the Millenium Walkway due to a broken drainpipe(!), according to a volunteer in the Heritage Centre

BadlyWiredDog

The latest closure is the Millenium Walkway due to a broken drainpipe(!), according to a volunteer in the Heritage Centre

That’s because there’s raw sewage pouring out of an overflow pipe near the station and onto the walkway. Nice… they’re trying to find the source of the sewage using dyes and stuff.

Also apparently messed with is the track near Mellor Cross. There’s rubble on the bottom of the main track for comedy braking  effects, but I gather there’s also been some flattening to facilitate the repair of the cross, though I’ve not seen it myself.

And remember kids, sewage is bad for you. Don’t inhale.

Esme
    Free Member

Yes, that track (Black Lane?) has indeed been flattened, and extended to the cross itself (nice picnic spot!).

Whilst it’s destroyed a nice descent, it now works quite well as a short climb on the way to Zig and Zag.

BadlyWiredDog

Hmmm… it’s ruined a neat little technical climb would be my take on that… oh well. It won’t last.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘PSA for Marple / Strines area riders: ANOTHER Trail closure warning’ is closed to new replies.