Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • PSA: Final flight of the Vulcan
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

This may be posted up already but just in case

Final Vulcan flight tour

It’s quite a machine!

Unfortunately it’s not heading to Glasgow but I’m sure there will be a few here who will be under it.

Cheers

andyl
    Free Member

No where near the SW but we were treated to an excellent and long display last Sunday at the Weston Air Festival.

porlus
    Free Member

Just saw it from my house doing a half roll over Elvington. Awesome site.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Some good stuff over Carlisle (crowds were HUGE!), kids were sat on top of the van watching it and absolutely loved it! Really must head over to the museum to see the static one!

deadkenny
    Free Member

That’s just this weekend. Full list http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html

iain1775
    Free Member

Just seen it over East Midlands airport, I was sat alone in a field near the airport, no one else around compete silence as it appeared on the horizon, was chilling seeing it heading straight towards me with not a sound, then thunder as it passed overhead and banked over to start its approach to EMA

By the time I was back home 10 minutes later it had already done its display at Newark and was approaching its landing back at Doncaster!

2nd time I’ve seen it in a few weeks as went to Cossford the other week, will prob head down somewhere en route to Coventry tomorrow

MoreCashThanDash

I was meandering g on my bike and crawling up a hill when a motorist flagged me down and pointed excitedly towards Nottingham to show me the Vulcan doing its display for Armed Forces Day.

About an hour before it had apparently gone over a mates house in Didsbury.

When I were a lad, we would leave Wittering where my dad was stationed with the Harriers, drive up the A15 where the American A10s used to practise strafing cars on the road, then get stopped by Warrington as the Vulcan’s came over the road to land. Lincoln seemed very dull after that journey!

TomB

Our house looks from Portinscale, near keswick, over to skiddaw. The Vulcan came up Bassenthwaite lake and banked round keswick and past us, seemingly at eye level. Very impressive, even the kids were gawping and they don’t normally take much interest in anything! Sorry, not organised enough to take pics.

st

Flew over our trail building session at Stile Cop on Cannock Chase and then apparently right over my house. Wife saw it but kids were inside.

I only caught a glimpse through the trees but it was still impressive.

Northwind

Was hoping to see it on the way in or out of east fortune, we get a lot of overflight for the airshow there but I guess it used a different path.

simmy
    Free Member

I saw it when it was between Carlise and Barton.

Went to the nearest hill as I wasn’t sure which way it would come but it came over Rivington, to the east of the Transmitter, then banked towards me.

It didn’t go directly overhead but it was an awesome sight. God knows what the Motorists on the M61 thought if they didn’t know about it as it cast a huge shadow 😀

I ran to the other side of the hill and saw it do I lap of Barton then head off. Surprisingly silent when it passed me, the Police Helicopters make more noise than a cruising Vulcan.

Bregante

Said lap of Barton

[video]https://youtu.be/_8ueUVdE9JE[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

Phew – not coming near here this weekend, and still hoping I might manage to catch it having had a couple of near misses so far this year.

Drac

I seen it flying over Alnmouth as i was taking the Mrs for the train. Great to see it.

globalti
    Free Member

We saw it passing over Beacon Fell near Preston at around 3.30, I guess.

shredder
    Free Member

Watched it above Thirlmere from Helvellyn just perfect 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Amazing bit of kit. I used to know a pilot who flew one, he had some great stories about the aircraft and buzzing Russian navy vessels

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I was planning to go to Bournemouth to see it but have unwittingly commited to a charity bike ride that day. Grrr.

Pickers

Just been to see it at Wellesbourne, superb sight and sound

[url=https://flic.kr/p/viK1L4]Vulcan 3[/url] by Richard Picton, on Flickr

v8ninety

Setting off car alarms over Cosford; awesome!!!

ps44
    Free Member

Also at Wellesbourne, organised a route to go that way. I’ll see if I can load up the bike & bomber video.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Made me chuckle the number of car alarms it set off at East Midlands airport yesterday. Was a wonderful sight.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Saw it this afternoon. I was out for a ride and hadn’t actually given the Vulcan a second thought when it went overhead whilst I was on the canal tow path between Rickmansworth and Hemel Hempstead. It was pretty low, not tremendously noisy and passed directly over the top of me. There was nobody else around too which was nice.

CountZero
    ratadog

Hadn’t realised that it was last season of flight. Saw it unexpectedly over York on May 22nd, I suspect over Elvington although I was on my way out of a somewhat boring conference a few miles away at the time at the time. Third time I have seen it in flight, still awesome.

boxelder

Over Keswick – here somewhere

squirrelking
    Free Member

Zed – didn’t pass Glasgow but it will be at the Scottish Air Show in September. Touch and go whether I’ll get to see it 🙁

legend
    Free Member

http://www.scottishairshow.com/whats-on/air-display

it will fly at beach front Ayr on Saturday 5th September then land at Glasgow Prestwick Airport. It will be the highlight of the Sunday Aircraft Exhibition where members of the public will be able to see it for one last time and even get up close to take photographs or talk to the flight crew.

So does that mean it is or isn’t flying on the Sunday?

EDIT: This makes it clearer

The Vulcan will depart from Prestwick in the middle of the afternoon and perform one last fly past of the airport crowd before returning to its Doncaster base and retirement from flight at the end of the 2015 display season.

anc
    Free Member

Pilots parents live in our village so he popped by to say hello before heading south.. Cool as!

[video]https://youtu.be/c4ZGXPKdJLU[/video]

boxelder

Talking to someone at the weekend who knows a pilot from the ’70s – can still remember the grid ref for ‘his’ bridge target in Russia.
    anc – sounds like someone was shooting at it!

anc
    Free Member

The local yocals shoot anything that moves… 😆

rockhopper70

A question for those in the know..
    We missed seeing this last year as the attendance at southport air show was cancelled on the day we went.

Looking at the flight plans, there are a few flights left this year but none, local.

However, is the vulcan always returned to Doncaster at the end the end of every show? If so, I’m presuming that it could be viewed somewhere when it sets off to a show? Do we know a good spot to take up to watch it take off/fly over and do they tend to advertise the times of departure.

It looks like it is going somewhere on Sunday and the flight plan from last flight showed it came back to Doncaster.

Only asking as we are near enough to Doncaster to make a trip worthwhile,

Thanks

midlifecrashes

There was another thread last week, from which:

midlifecrashes – Member

For CHB:

Locals at Doncaster either view from the runway end at High Common Lane off the A638 Bawtry Road, or more from the side of the runway oppposite the terminal buildings. You can get at this either from an access road at the roundabout on High Common Lane or the other end coming down Old Bawtry Road in Finningley village. (They don’t meet in the middle for cars but you can walk or bike it.)It will get busy so I’d recommend parking up a mile or two away and biking, or just bike here, takes about half an hour from town.

Depending on wind and where they’re heading, it takes off north to south more often, so with it using only a third of the runway, folks at the southern runway end only get a distant view as she banks away eastward after takeoff. If they do it the other way round you can stand at the fence and feel the engine blast and taste the fuel, which is nice.

With there being a display planned, there might be more stuff than usual at the passenger terminal, there is a Vulcan shop, a viewing gallery and a resturant with runway views, none of which requires a boarding pass.

The XH558 website lists flying days, unless it states a static display, assume it will come home to Doncaster after a show.

natrix
    Free Member

My father used to work on them when he was in RAF at Boscombe Down, they used to have their tea break sat on an atom bomb!! 😯

dukeduvet

We saw it at Scarborough, had no idea about it as there for the day.

have to agree with Iain1775 was a bit eerie watching it but some of the moves were impressive

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Final flight of the Vulcan’ is closed to new replies.