Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • PSA – Fenwicks foaming degreaser – the best chain cleaner I've used..
  • DrP

So, it’s not reduced as such, but I’ve tried lots of things as chain and cassette cleaners, and none have really been that great.
    At Ard rock I was chatting to the Fenwicks man about the demise of the pink FS-10 concentrated clener – it’s been replaced with a green one!
    Anyway…he then showed me a new product – foaming chain cleaner.
    You just spray it on teh chain whilst turning the pedals, then ‘fill’ the cassette with it too.
    Leave it a few min, thenwipe the chain clean (I also got the chain cleaner sponge..i suppose any sponge would do).

It really did just shift all the cr@p off the chain and cassette – thoroughly impressed!!

So, that’s my PSA for the day!!

DrP

iainc

….and for the alternative view, I bought a can of it, and the sponge, last year, tried it a few times, thought it was rubbish !

Took some surface grime off, but chain was still crunchy and dirty. Park Chain cleaning tool and Muc off degreaser, for me, presents a much better solution..

ratherbeintobago

The answer to the end of the pink Fenwick’s is just to not clean your bike.

joefm

I think its pretty good at removing grime too. I usually hose the bike and chain first though.

DrP

The answer to the end of the pink Fenwick’s is just to not clean your bike.

How else am I going to discover all the cracks in my frames unless meticulously polishing them…??

DrP

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I love this stuff.. clean the bike, give the chain a quick swipe with a soapy brush while you are at it.. Squirt the pink foam on the chain and cassette, leave it for 5 minutes and wash off.. sparkly clean chain.. all ready for some fresh rock’n’roll blue.. lovely.. :mrgreen:

Junkyard
    Free Member

How else am I going to discover all the cracks in my frames unless meticulously polishing them…??

book it in for an Xray 😉

prawny

I’ve got the dregs of a can of the pink stuff in the garage I’ve had for about 7 years, it’s ok. Thought it was crap to start off with and didn’t use it for years, realised recently that you really need to let it work for a good few minutes and when you do it’s nearly as good as a park scrubber and Gunk green degreaser.

Good for a quick clean up, not as good as a proper cleaner.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of tins of it, it really is great.

Aidy
    Free Member

I tried a can of it, and it just wouldn’t spray at all.

Returned it, got another one… which again wouldn’t spray at all. If you tried really hard, you could get some to dribble out, but like, not at a useful rate.

At that point I gave up and binned it.

Second (of two) Fenwicks things that I’ve tried that have been completely useless – not trying anything else.

beej

Just for balance, between the “it’s great” and “it’s rubbish”, I find it perfectly adequate.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I tried a can of it, and it just wouldn’t spray at all.

Returned it, got another one… which again wouldn’t spray at all. If you tried really hard, you could get some to dribble out, but like, not at a useful rate.

I had one like that, swapped for another and it was great, until I damaged the can and let all the propellant out again.

Maybe they’re weak cans?

De’can’ted out the degreaser and it looked/acted just like the pink concentrated stuff, so I wonder if it would work in a normal foaming spray bottle (like some kitchen cleaner bottles).

It is great stuff when it worked though.

iainc

well, I have 2 kids bikes to clean tonight, so this has inspired me to give it another go !

mcnultycop

I use it and it’s pretty decent, if you leave it to do it’s job.

I will use one of the clamp on chain cleaners every few rides in winter. However, for a normal winter ride i’d just use the pink Fenwicks, well soaked in, plus the Fenwicks sponge and it gets rid of the vast majority of the crap, then relube.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Fenwicks is fine, a can lasts forever. However as i’ve just switched to R’n R Extreme I find that i never have to use it anymore.

smogmonster

Its crap IMHO. Couldn’t take the skin off a rice pudding.

km79
    Free Member

Fenwicks foaming chain cleaner has been about for years, is this ‘new’ one a change to the original?

ratherbeintobago

Let the mud bake hard and it’ll hold the frame together.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Fenwicks foaming degreaser – the best chain cleaner I've used..’ is closed to new replies.