Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • PSA: Exposure Lights at Alpkit
  • Superficial
    Free Member

https://alpkit.com/collections/bike-equipment-sale

Toro Mk12 – £240
    Joystick Mk15 – £140
    Strada Mk10 – £200

Was sorely tempted by a Toro – looks like a decent price and they haven’t updated that model for 2021/22.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Arghhhh been wanting an exposure bar light for a while now, need to work out if it was the toro I would have gone for. Already got a joystick for my helmet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tthew

If you’d all just stop posting relevant PSA’s and go back to the random shit that’s usually promoted, it would be appreciated. I’ve already bought some Pikes and and cheap yet still inexplicably expensive saddle this month.

TIA.

cb200
    Free Member

To add this for those in the market, I’ve just bought this today for a great price..

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/exposure-race-mk15-front-light

Phil_H

God damn it I’ve just bought a strada sb from SDJ😁

dcarley
    Free Member

Recently got a Joystick for £125 at Pure Electric

I’ve noticed that Winstanley’s prices bounce up and down several times a day. Worth checking back if you think you’ve missed a deal.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Shop around these prices seem regular, sdj & sigma tend to be on the money

I spotted Sdj had the turquoise Diablo for £172 on eBay the other day, that would be powerful enough on the bars, and ridiculous as a head torch

I got some good deals from evans earlier this year,
    Latest Diablo £112 and latest model joystick for £76

So unfortunately don’t need one, although would like the oilslick Diablo

johnnystorm

@dcarley

Oh yeah, they do! The Race MK15 was £220 about an hour ago and is £187 again!

davros

My lbs have this moon which looks good for the money if you want mega bright:

https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/46753/moon-moon-aw20-canopus-front-light/option/

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Just bought a Sirius, I might have stretched to the Strada at that price 🙁

thegeneralist
    Free Member

My lbs have this moon which looks good for the money if you want mega bright:

https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/46753/moon-moon-aw20-canopus-front-light/option/

Very tempted by this, even though I have 5 decent front lights. ( well an excellent Moon front light and 4 exposure lights 😉 )
    The Moon Adj850 is by far the best light I have.

Couldn’t see the battery size anywhere though. Anyone know?

andrewreay

Couldn’t see the battery size anywhere though. Anyone know?

It’s big! 165mm long, 40mm high and 40mm across (a pyramid shape). Capacity is 6700 mAh.

Has built in slots for the straps to bind it to the frame, so they too add some bulk.

Whilst the light and modes are excellent, the remote switch on mine has broken at the socket, so I can’t use the remote. The manual switches on the light itself are fiddly to operate with gloves and hidden under the straps so a pain to switch on the go.

Even at that price I’d be a bit wary.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The manual switches on the light itself are ….. hidden under the straps

What really?

Bloody Nora. How shit.

Thanks for the warning:-)

johnnystorm

SDJ have the Race Mk15 at a nats hair under the Winstanleys “variable best price” there’s a £10 off code for lights over £200 which might apply if they have any similar deals on higher spec Exposures…

https://sdjsports.com/products/exposure-race-mk15-2022-with-35-31-8mm-qr-bracket-front-bike-light

winston
    Free Member

Be careful on the Joystick and Diablo pricing. Some of the cheaper deals don’t come with any mounts at all – just a lanyard.

z1ppy

Winston makes a good point, even on the exposure outlet site, you have to be wary of deals with no mounts… still worth checking the outlet site regularly and buying the bargain quick, don’t dawdle, or it’ll be gone

https://exposurelights.com/outlet-store

Blackflag
    Free Member

The manual switches on the light itself are fiddly to operate with gloves and hidden under the straps so a pain to switch on the go.

?? The switches are on top on the unit and it mounts via a Garmin style bracket underneath. No issues here at all. Didnt even bother with the remote switch as i just press the buttons on the top of the unit.

Del

Clocked the box for my 6 pack in the garage the other day containing the invoice. 300 quid in 2015. Used once a week at least every week. In later years twice a week. No bother. Good vfm in my estimation.

stanstorey

I nearly got caught out on the lanyard only option when ordering a mk15 joystick recently…
    In the end, cheapest seller for the complete package with mounts was sprocket cycles:-

https://www.sprocketscycles.com/products/exposure-joystick-mk15-front-light

Had an old joystick maxx2 that still sold for about £30 on eBay after many years of service! hoping this one lasts as long, yearly cost works out pretty good then!

cb200
    Free Member

Just in case anyone is unsure – the cheap Race Mk15 from Winstanleys comes with full mounts/charger, and sticker of course.

andrewreay

mounts via a Garmin style bracket underneath

No, mine mounts via the GoPro mount which uses a velcro strap that wraps around the light body, completely obscuring the power and mode buttons on the light.

Poor design.

johnx2
    Free Member

No, mine mounts via the GoPro mount which uses a velcro strap that wraps around the light body, completely obscuring the power and mode buttons on the light.

that’s the helmet mount. There’s a bars mount which screws to the bars. I accidentally clicked on this https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/46753/moon-moon-aw20-canopus-front-light/option/ yesterday afternoon, and now have charging in front of me the biggest battery in the world, a very solid and substantial light that would build neck muscles if I put it on a helmet using the velcro mount (that fwiw I don’t see why you’d need to take anywhere near the lamp body), and a bars mount.

So anyway, free delivery too so well done JeJames. I may even post a report on the thing once I’ve lugged the battery over to the shed.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Poor design.

Or poor interpretation of the instructions. You set it up exactly as the picture in this link.https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/46753/moon-moon-aw20-canopus-front-light/option/

Blackflag
    Free Member

@andrewreay Ive just checked it against the go pro mount too and that doesnt require the straps to go over the top of the unit either. The strap goes from the left loop, under and through the helmet vents or whatever you are attaching it to, through the right loop and then back on itself to velcro together.

So now you can enjoy your light trouble free.

ahsat

What’s the view of the Race as road/commuter/light off-road option (eg canal, gravel, bikepacking)? I hate mtb night riding so won’t be doing that. But more getting around at the end of a road, or the way home. Strada makes sense for road; but given I don’t really like riding off road in the dark – when I do want to be able to, I want something bright enough and thought the Strada was a bit road specific.

crazy-legs

What’s the view of the Race as road/commuter/light off-road option (eg canal, gravel, bikepacking)?

I’ve got the Toro which is another 600 lumens on top of the Race and I use that on my CX for mixed use – road, gravel, towpaths and so on. Having said it’s more powerful, I’m not sure I’ve ever used it on full whack, I tend to run a lower programme and on-road just dip it to minimum beam but it’s absolutely fine and the roads I’m on are quiet country lanes, it’s not urban commuting.

Based on that, I’d say the Race would be fine – as far as I can tell the Race is a slimmed down version of the Toro anyway aimed at endurance racing.

Like you, I thought the Strada was a bit road-specific and while a lot of my night riding is on road (or gravel tracks), on the occasions I am properly off-road, I want the light to deal with it!

ahsat

Thanks crazy-legs. That’s really helpful. I do also have a Tracer set for when in town – so can just dip this right down and on it’s lowest setting at that point, if needed. Just to spot the pot holes!

tomtomthepipersson

@ahsat – I have a Race Mk13. It’s perfectly fine for off-roading so should be fine for your usage (and even better when used with a helmet light).

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I use a Strada 800 on the bars on forest tracks etc and it’s fine. Just rotate it up a little. Also works great on roads obviously

I add a joystick on the helmet for trail riding though. Mostly to clear shadows of rocks etc

thegeneralist
    Free Member

@andrewreay @blackflag
    Have you come to a consensus?
    Is the Moon a PoS or was it a wetware malfunction?

johnx2
    Free Member

^^^ Hey I’m the guy who’s just bought one!

is the Moon a PoS

I’d not want to have paid best part of £300 for it but at £130 it’s good kit. Got it mounted on the bike just fine with the screw to the bars mount that the lamp kind of gopros onto. Feels pretty solid on the helmet too with the velcro attached mount (which goes nowhere near the lamp body, no idea what the earlier poster can have done to make that happen), though I’m unlikely to use it that way. It’s plenty bright though I’ve not used it on a ride yet.

The controls are worth spending a couple of minutes on with the leaflet, before reverting to stab fingers and see what happens.

The only design bit I don’t think works is the remote controller. I don’t know why I’d want to use this with the light on the bars, as i’d just use the identical controls on the body of the lamp. I’d only want to use it with the thing as a helmet lamp, and the wire’s too short for that. Also the USB-C connection seems a bit like it might just slip out. If i do use on helmet mode, I think I’d want a USB-C adapter for a longer wire.

And it’s heavy, but then again you’re blackpool illuminations for hours on end, small animals coming out of their burrows thinking it’s dawn, etc etc

Blackflag
    Free Member

@thegeneralist

The issue of “strap over buttons” simply doesn’t exist and was down to the user not using a hook and eye strap properly.

I have these lights on my bars using the garmin mount. They are excellent and pretty powerful. A few in our club now have them. But, as Johnx2 says, the remote is utterly pointless (i just press the buttons on the top) and the whole unit, especially the battery, is quite heavy.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Exposure Lights at Alpkit’ is closed to new replies.