Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • PSA: Dead Mans Shoes. Films @ 11:05 tonight!
  • ready

One of Shane Meadows finest works. Just don’t drink the tea…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Love that film, his best imo.

binners

Absolutely brilliant film! We watched it again recently. Paddy Considine is truly terrifying!

budgierider67

I love this film. I’ll even forgive the shocking shape of his beret in the funeral scene.

argee

Great movie, such a weird one the way it goes and what happens, but it works well and decent acting across the piece.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Havent seen this film.

What channel is it on?

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Rambo on acid in Derbyshire.

Robz
    Free Member

One of my favourite films ever.

Great soundtrack too

gallowayboy

One of my favourite films, but I don’t think I can watch it at the mo! Great soundtrack too….

pondo

Havent seen this film.

What channel is it on?

Me either – Film Four, I’ve set it to record (for me, not you ;)).

RustySpanner

One of the best films I’ve ever seen.
    I think it resonates so much because it riffs off real life working class experience, not some sanitised Hollywood bullshit vision of redemption.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Cheers. Looking forward to it 🙂

ceramicmatt

Will tune in to film4, been looking forward to watching this for a while! I watched ‘sightseers’ last night (I think it has one day left on channel 4 player), Directed by Ben Wheatley (a field in England). I think it would appeal to some, but not all STW readers. Although its bleak, quite disturbing and has over the top violence, there are many hilariously funny and recognisable parts to the story. Thought it was excellent.

Mister-P
    Free Member

God will forgive them. He’ll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can’t live with that.

ceramicmatt

Great line!

shanner
    Free Member

Absolutely excellent film. If it had been produced by some big bucks studio and had A list celeb actors in the main roles it would have been up for an Oscar.

Poopscoop

Only ever seen this once many moons back but wow, stuck in my mind ever since!

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for the PSA! Will def record that – superb film!

Poignant to me, as it’s filmed around Matlock where I live and spent some time growing up on the estate – lived almost over the road from the scene where Paddy and Gary Stretch are face to face outside the garages

ollie_the_brave
    Free Member

Superb film, Shane Meadows best I reckon.

I also ‘enjoyed’ Tyrannosaur which was Paddy Considine’s directoral debut.

Also more recently, The Virtues by Meadows was superb.

Might have a crack at staying up and watching. Not seen it for years. Fully anticipate waking at about 3am on the sofa, cold, as the fires burnt out. Large dram of semi drunk whisky on the coffee table….

binners

Tyrannosaur is brilliant but it’s a bloody hard watch. For a directorial debut it’s staggeringly good

Sightseers is dark comedy gold. If that’s your bag then ‘God Bless America’ is also well worth a viewing

Poopscoop

God Bless America blew me away when I saw it as the whole celebrity culture is a bit of a bug bear with me.

Yeah, a great dark comedy.

ollie_the_brave
    Free Member

Will deffo be taking a look at GBA and Sightseeers – keep ’em coming!

plus-one

Dead mans shoes it’s a great movie. Had it on blu-ray well watched but lost it few years ago 🙁

I’m recording it tonight 🙂

Scene in pub at pool table “YOU YA C**T” 👌🏻

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kill List is Wheatley’s best IMO

el_boufador

Fantastic film. And yes very true to life regarding goings on in deprived areas. Reminds me of the rough smalltown estate down the road as a kid (didn’t live there, but had friends there, very similar)

brads
    Free Member

Kill List is Wheatley’s best IMO

Awful film. Complete nonsensical rubbish.

Dead mans shoes is a great film, well worth seeing.
    Only trouble with me is I’m struggling to watch films I’ve seen before just now and seem to be constantly hunting for new stuff.

ceramicmatt

Starts in 5 minutes

dyna-ti

I love the way the gangsters drive about in a Citroen 2CV. Real Small Town England that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Complete nonsensical rubbish.

Doesn’t stop it being his best 😂

ElShalimo

Mooching about!!

ceramicmatt

Doesn’t pull any punches. Brilliant on the edge stuff so far…

cb200
    Free Member

“Do you want to give him a kiss?”

Such a dark creepy line

ceramicmatt

Wow. That will stay with me for a few days. Gripping film.

lankystreakofpee

Wow thanks for the PSA @ready, I can’t believe I’ve never heard of it before let alone seen it. Great watch and well worth staying up for! Dark but funny in places (5 up in a 2cv for example).

For anyone who missed it, definitely look it up – well worth a watch.

I’m going to look up some of the other recommendations above as well now…

bonzodog
    Free Member

Pig me! That film was as brutal as it was harrowing!

Hardly slept last night thinking about it.

I also realise that I visited that that derelict castle/house/folly in the peaks many years ago (probably very early 2000’s) and there was a small bird sanctuary type thing in the grounds.

jekkyl

The scene where they were all off their faces could have been done a bit better, other than that, great film.

ready

Just seen my OP had auto corrected to ‘Films’ instead of ‘Film4’! Sorry about that…
    As above, I can also recommend Sightseers and Tyrannosaur, plus check out a couple of other Shane Meadows films – A Room for Romeo Brass (again with the excellent Paddy Considine) and 24/7 (with Bob Hoskins)
    I’m off to check out Kill List, and God Bless America!

ElShalimo

Tyrannosaur is a hard watch but very compelling viewing

It was filmed in Leeds but had such a crap release that it was hard to find a cinema to watch it at. We lived in Leeds then too. I think we eventually saw it after it was re-realeased after winning BAFTAs.

You could hear a pin drop in there. Very powerful stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Dead Mans Shoes. Films @ 11:05 tonight!’ is closed to new replies.