Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • PSA : DadsNet : Good Swimming Armbands
  • TooTall
    Free Member

Lil Miss TT (nearly 3) was finding normal armbands were catching her with sharp edges etc – I was instructed to search out the solid ones. A new solid one are MonkeySwimmers

http://www.monkeyswimmers.com/

She loves them and is doing really well. Taken off the outer ring already. Loads more movement than with the Delphin ones. No connection with the company etc – just sharing a bit of good kit with the other dads.

Joe

Christ…first world problem. Boohoo…sharp edges.

…in my day etc.

wolvesdug
    Free Member

We used a shark fin with our kids. http://www.swimfin.co.uk/ great things and was recommended by the kids swimming instructor

GrahamS

Oooh interesting thanks.

Out 2.5yo loves swimming but always complains that the armbands are “scratchy” (they do leave red marks on her arms) and she usually ends up trying to take them off after a while.

No idea why in this day and age of clever manufacturing they can’t put the seams on the outside away from the skin, rather than at the ends. Or even just do the shoulder seam on the inside rather than the outside.

TooTall
    Free Member

Christ…first world problem. Boohoo…sharp edges.

I take it you are not a parent. I’m all about tough, but I’ll do anything on earth for my daughter.

jp-t853

+1 for sharkfin’s they allow a very natural swimming position and technique

GrahamS

I take it you are not a parent. I’m all about tough, but I’ll do anything on earth for my daughter.

And more importantly, making a toddler cry because wearing armbands is hurting her is not really conducive to having a nice happy time at the swimming pool and instilling positive messages about swimming and staying fit.

SammyC
    Free Member

Sharkfin is great, keeps their arm free for flailing around in the water (or learning to swim properly if you are so inclined):

The better they swim the more out of the water it sticks and therefore the less assistance it provides.

ads678

We used some roll up ones. Can’t remember the make. No sharp edges though and seemed to be comfy.

Kryton57

None. Get a Kids Konfidence Jacket:
    http://www.konfidence.co.uk/acatalog/Konfidence_Jackets.html#.UIgNEhwTM1g

It has progressively removable floats. Mrs K was a professional swimmer and this comes recommended way above armbands, as you can progressively remove the flotation support, and the “flotation” surrounds the body/torso rather than the arms which is a more natural position ie. where your lungs are. And it keeps the arms and legs free.

Kryton Jnr is a class above and top of the class at swimming (he’s 3 and a half and currently swims widths with no float devices -until he gets tired / distracted) on his front and back.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

+1 for the Konfidence jacket thing (although ours was named something different)
    My lad had one until he was 3-ish, when we had to remove the floats to make it fit, but that helped him in the water anyway. He’s now 4 and completely confident, and can swim unaided a reasonable distance.

Its like the stabilisers/balance bike approach to learning to ride.

bigblackshed

+another for Konfidence.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I might get one of those Konfidence jackets for myself. 😀

crikey
    Free Member

I got chucked into the canal in my pyjamas, well I say pyjamas, I mean my dads vest that my mum had taken in.

It never did me any harm, other than making me an anti-social psychopath with a string vest fetish and periodic hydrophobia.

jodafett

My 3yr old boy has used monkey swimmers since he was 1ish. They’ve been great, he’s never complained about them. I will be buying a set for my daughter when she’s big enough. I would definitely recommend them.

iain1775
    Free Member

Armbands a big no for teaching proper swimming technique
    My wife (a qualified kids (0-10yrs) swim teacher) thinks they are the devils invention
    If you must use something then a jacket like the konfidence one is what she and her swim school company would recommend

matthewjb
    Free Member

My Daughter has been using the Delphin Swim Discs

Similar the the monkey simmers you can fit them together to provide greater buoyancy.

Kryton57

Deadly Darcy- jump on the website, you can!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘PSA : DadsNet : Good Swimming Armbands’ is closed to new replies.